Comparison of the activities of CaMV 35S and FMV 34S promoter derivatives in Catharanthus roseus cells transiently and stably transformed by particle bombardment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Activities of several CaMV 35S and FMV 34S promoter derivatives fused to the gusA reporter gene were compared in suspension-cultured Catharanthus roseus cells that were transiently and stably transformed using particle bombardment. Our data demonstrate that the 35S and a deletion derivative of the 34S promoter combined with particle bombardment form useful tools for genetic engineering of C. roseus cells. Our results disagree on several points with activities of 35S and 34S promoter derivatives reported for tobacco, indicating that absolute and relative promoter activities can differ between plant species.
- Benfey PN, Chua N-H: Regulated genes in transgenic plants. Science 244: 174–181 (1989).
- Bilang R, Iida S, Peterhans A, Potrykus I, Paszkowski J: The 3′-terminal region of the hygromycin-B-resistance gene is important for its activity in Escherichia coli and Nicotiana tabacum. Gene 100: 247–250 (1991).
- Jefferson RA: Assaying chimeric genes in plants: the GUS gene fusion system. Plant Mol Biol Rep 5: 387–405 (1987).
- Fang R-X, Nagy F, Sivasubramaniam S, Chua N-H: Multiple cis regulatory elements for maximal expression of the cauli-flower mosaic virus 35S promoter in transgenic plants. Plant Cell 1: 141–150 (1989).
- Holtorf S, Apel K, Bohlmann H: Comparison of different constitutive and inducible promoters for the overexpression of transgenes in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Mol Biol 29: 637–646 (1995).
- Kay R, Chan A, Daly M, McPherson J: Duplication of CaMV 35S promoter sequences creates a strong enhancer for plant genes. Science 236: 1299–1302 (1987).
- Klein TM, Wolf ED, Wu R, Sanford JC: High-velocity microprojectiles for delivering nucleic acids into living cells. Nature 327: 70–73 (1987).
- Lam E, Benfey PN, Gilmartin P, Fang R-X, Chua N-H: Sitespecific mutations alter in vitro factor binding and change promoter expression pattern in transgenic plants. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 7890–7894 (1989).
- Lam E, Chua N-H: GT-1 binding site confers light responsive expression in transgenic tobacco. Science 248: 471–474 (1990).
- Lambé P, Dinant M, Matagne RF: Differential long-term expression and methylation of the hygromycin phosphotransferase (hph) and α-glucuronidase (GUS) genes in transgenic pearl millet (Pennisetum glaucum) callus. Plant Sci 108: 51–62 (1995).
- Meijer AH, Verpoorte R, Hoge JHC: Regulation of enzymes and genes involved in terpenoid indole alkaloid biosynthesis in Catharanthus roseus. J Plant Res (special issue) 3: 145–164 (1993).
- Mitsuhara I, Ugaki M, Hirochika H, Ohshima M, Murakami T, Gotoh Y, Katayose Y, Nakamura S, Honkura R, Nishimiya S, Ueno K, Mochizuki A, Tanimoto H, Tsugawa H, Otsuki Y, Ohashi Y: Efficient promoter cassettes for enhanced expression of foreign genes in dicotyledonous andmonocotyledonous plants. Plant Cell Physiol 37: 49–59 (1996).
- Neuman JR, Morenay CA, Russian KO: A novel rapid assay for chloramphenicol acetyltransferase gene expression. Biotechniques 5: 444–447 (1987).
- Odell JT, Nagy F, Chua N-H: Identification of DNA sequences required for activity of the cauliflower mosaic virus 35S promoter. Nature 313: 810–812 (1985).
- Pasquali G, Ouwerkerk PBF, Memelink J: Versatile transformation vectors to assay the promoter activity of DNA elements in plants. Gene 149: 373–374 (1994).
- Sanger M, Daubert S, Goodman RM: Characteristics of a strong promoter from figwort mosaic virus: comparison with the analogous 35S promoter from cauliflower mosaic virus and the regulated mannopine synthase promoter. Plant Mol Biol 14: 433–443 (1990).
- Wilmink A, van de Ven BCE, Dons JJM: Activity of constitutive promoters in various species from the Liliaceae. Plant Mol Biol 28: 949–955 (1995).
- Comparison of the activities of CaMV 35S and FMV 34S promoter derivatives in Catharanthus roseus cells transiently and stably transformed by particle bombardment
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 33, Issue 5 , pp 943-946
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- CaMV 35S promoter
- Catharanthus roseus
- FMV 34S promoter
- particle bombardment
- Industry Sectors