Re-examining the Influence of Individual Values on Ethical Decision Making
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper presents the results of five years of research involving three studies. The first two studies investigated the impact of the value honesty/integrity on the ethical decision choice an individual makes, as moderated by the individual personality traits of self-monitoring and private self-consciousness. The third study, which is the focus of this paper, expanded the two earlier studies by varying the level of moral intensity and including the influence of demographical factors and other workplace values: achievement, fairness, and concern for others on the ethical decision process. These studies were designed using a laboratory format and a decision exercise that attempted to establish realistic business conflict situations through decision scenarios. Support is presented for the influence of gender and achievement on ethical choice. Recommendations for the future direction of this stream of research are given.
- Aupperle, K. E., A. B. Carroll and J. D. Hatfield: 1985, ‘An Empirical Examination of the Relationship between Corporate Social Performance and Profitability’, Academy of Management Journal 28(2), 446–463.
- Bowman, E. H. and M. Haire: 1975, ‘A Strategic Posture towards Corporate Social Responsibility’, California Management Review 18(27), 44–57.
- Brenner, S. N. and E. A. Molander: 1977, ‘Is the Ethics of Business Changing?’, Harvard Business Review 55(1), 57–70.
- Brief, A. P., J. M. Dukerich and L. I. Doran: 1990, ‘Resolving Ethical Dilemmas in Management: Experimental Investigation of Values, Accountability, and Choice’. Paper submitted to Journal of Applied Social Psychology.
- Chonko, L. B. and S. D. Hunt: 1985, ‘Ethics and Marketing Management: An Empirical Examination’, Journal of Business Research 13(August), 339–359.
- Deux, K. and L. Wrightsman: 1984, Social Psychology in the 80's, 4th ed. (Brooks/Cole Publishing Co., Monterey California).
- Duval, S. and R. A. Wicklund: 1972, A Theory of Objective Self-awareness (Academic Press, New York).
- Ferrell, O. C. and L. G. Gresham: 1985, ‘A Contingency Framework for Understanding Ethical Decision Making Marketing’, Journal of Marketing 49, 87–96.
- Forrest, P. J., D. S. Cochran, D. F. Ray and D. P. Robin: 1990, ‘An Empirical Examination of Four Factors Thought to be Influential in Ethical Judgments’, Paper presented to the Social Issues Division of the Academy of Management Meetings (San Francisco, California).
- Fritzche, D. J. and H. Becker: 1984, ‘Linking Management Behavior to Ethical Philosophy: An Empirical Investigation’, Academy of Management Journal 27(1), 166–175.
- Fritzche, D. J.: 1988, ‘The Effects of Personal Values and Organizational Goals upon the Ethical Dimensions of Decision Making’, Paper submitted to the Social Issues Division, Academy of Management Meetings.
- Glover, S. H.: 1991, ‘The Influences of Individual Values on Ethical Decision Making’, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of South Carolina, Columbia, S. C.
- Glover, S. H., M. A. Bumpus and J. E. Logan: 1993, ‘Putting Values into Decision Making: The Influence of the Value Honesty/Integrity on the Decision Choice’, Proceedings of the Southern Management Association: 428–431.
- Hegarty, W. H. and H. P. Sims: 1978, ‘Some Determinants of Unethical Decision Behavior: An Experiment’, Journal of Applied Psychology 63(4), 451–457. CrossRef
- Hegarty, W. H. and H. P. Sims: 1979, ‘Organizational Philosophy, Policies, and Objectives Related to Unethical Decision Behavior: A Laboratory Experiment’, Journal of Applied Psychology 64(3), 331–338. CrossRef
- Jensen, L. C. and S. A. Wygant: 1990, ‘The Development of Self-valuing Theory: A Practical Approach for Business Ethics’, Journal of Business Ethics 9, 215–225.
- Jones, T. M.: 1991, ‘Ethical Decision Making by Individuals in Organizations: An Issue-contingent Model’, Academy of Management Review 12(2), 366–395.
- Jones, T. M. and F. H. Gautschi III: 1988, ‘Will the Ethics of Business Change? A Survey of Future Executives’, Journal of Business Ethics 7, 231–248.
- Kidwell, J. M., R. E. Stevens and A. L. Bethker: 1987, ‘Differences in the Ethical Perceptions between Male and Female Managers: Myth or Reality?’, Journal of Business Ethics 6, 489–493.
- Laczniak, G. R. and E. J. Inderrieden: 1987, ‘The Influence of Stated Organizational Concern upon Ethical Decision Making’, Journal of Business Ethics 6, 297–307.
- Liedtka, J. M.: 1989, ‘Value Congruence: The Interplay of Individual and Organizational Value Systems’, Journal of Business Ethics 8, 805–815.
- McClelland, D. C.: 1961, The Achieving Society (Van Nustrard, Princeton, New Jersey).
- Manning, F. V.: 1981, Managerial Dilemmas and Executive Growth (Reston, Reston, Virginia).
- Meglino, B. M., E. C. Ravlin and C. L. Adkins: 1990, ‘Value Congruence and Satisfaction with a Leader: An Examination of the Role of Interaction’, Human Relations 44, 481–495.
- Monson, T. C., J. W. Hesley and L. Chernick: 1986, ‘Specifying when Personality Traits Can and Cannot Predict Behavior: An Alternative to Abandoning the Attempt to Predict Single Act Criteria’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 43, 385–387.
- Moser, M. R.: 1988, ‘Ethical Conflict at Work: A Critique of the Literature and Recommendations for Future Research’, Journal of Business Ethics 7, 381–387.
- Murphy, P. R. and J. M. Daley: 1990, ‘Ethical Behavior of U.S. General Freight Carriers: An Empirical Investigation’, Transportation Journal 30(1), 20–29.
- Randall, D. M. and A. M. Gibson: 1990, ‘Methodology in Business Ethics Research: A Review and Critical Assessment’, Journal of Business Ethics 9, 457–471.
- Ravlin, E. C.: 1990, ‘Ethical Decision Making: Group and Individual Influences’, Paper prepared for the Riegel and Emory Human Resource Research Center, Summer.
- Ravlin, E. C. and B. M. Meglino: 1987, ‘Issues in Work Values Measurement’, in W. C. Frederick (ed.), Research in Corporate Social Performance and Policy 9, 153–183 (JAI Press, Inc., Greenwich, CT).
- Ravlin, E. C. and B. M. Meglino: 1986, Comparative Emphasis Scale (University of South Carolina, Riegel and Emory Center, Columbia, SC).
- Rokeach, M.: 1973, The Nature of Human Values (Free Press, New York).
- Ruegger, D. and E. W. King: 1992, ‘A Study of the Effect of Age and Gender upon Student Business Ethics’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 179–186.
- Serwinck, P. J.: 1992, ‘Demographic and Related Differences in Ethical Views among Small Businesses’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 555–566.
- Snyder, M. S.: 1974, ‘The Self-monitoring of Expressive Behavior’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 30, 526–537.
- Snyder, M and N. Cantor: 1980, ‘Thinking about Ourselves and Others: Self-monitoring and Social Knowledge’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 39(2), 222–234. CrossRef
- Snyder, M. and W. B. Swann: 1976, ‘When Actions Reflect Attitudes: The Politics of Impression Management’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 34, 1034–1042. CrossRef
- Stratton, W. E., W. R. Flynn and G. S. Johnson: 1981, ‘Moral Development and Decision Making: A Study of Student Ethics’, Journal of Enterprise Management 3, 35–41.
- Trevino, L. K.: 1986, Ethical Decision Making in Organizations: A Person-situation Interactionist Model’, Academy of Management Review 11(3), 601–617.
- Trevino, L. K. and S. Youngblood: 1990, ‘Bad Apples in Bad Barrels: A Causal Analysis of Ethical Decision-making Behavior in Organizations’, Journal of Applied Psychology 75(4), 378–385. CrossRef
- Weber, J.: 1990, ‘Managers' Moral Reasoning: Assessing their Responses in Three Moral Dilemmas’, Human Relations 43(7), 687–702.
- Weick, K.: 1979, The Social Psychology of Organizing (Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts).
- Zey-Ferrell, M., O. C. Ferrell and K. M. Weaver: 1979, ‘Predicting Unethical Behavior among Marketing Practitioners’, Human Relations 32(7), 557–569.
- Re-examining the Influence of Individual Values on Ethical Decision Making
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 16, Issue 12-13 , pp 1319-1329
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- decision making
- moral intensity
- Industry Sectors