The Agent'ss Ethics in the Principal-Agent Model
- Øyvind Bøhren
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper evaluates the current use of the Principal Agent Model (PAM) in accounting and finance, focusing on the agent'ss use of private information. The agent'ss behavioral norms in the the PAM deviate from commonly held ethical values in society, from models of man in conventional economic theory, and also from behavioral foundations of related business school fields like corporate strategy, business ethics, and human resource management. Still, it would be unwise to reject the PAM solely because of its distasteful ethical assumptions. The model does appear to have predictive power, but its descriptive or normative qualities remain unexplored. The popularity of the PAM, with its extreme model of man, raises fundamental questions about the impact of this model on business school stakeholders and society at large.
- Akerlof, G.: 1970, ‘The Market for Lemons: Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism’, Quarterly Journal of Economics 84, 488–500.
- Alchian, A. A. and H. Demsetz: 1972, ‘Production, Information Costs, and Economic Organization’, American Economic Review 62, 777–795.
- Arrow, K.: 1975, ‘Gifts and Exchanges’, in E. S. Phelps (ed.), Altruism, Morality, and Economic Theory (Russell Sage Foundation, NY), pp. 13–28.
- Baumol, W. J.: 1959, Business Behavior, Value and Growth(Macmillan, NY).
- Bergen, M., S. Dutta, and O. C. Walker, Jr.: 1992, ‘Agency Relationships in Marketing: A Review of the Implications and Applications of Agency and Related Topics’, Journal of Marketing 58, 1–24.
- Berle, A. and G. Means: 1932, The Modern Corporation and Private Property(Macmillan, NY).
- Brennan, M. J.: 1994, ‘Incentives, Rationality and Society’, Journal of Applied Corporate Finance 7, 31–39.
- Butler, J.: 1726, Fifteen Sermons.
- Dasgupta, P.: 1988, ‘Trust as a Commodity’, in D. Gambetta (ed.), Trust: Making and Breaking Cooperative Relations(Basic Blackwell, NY).
- Diamond, D. W.: 1984, ‘Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring’, Review of Economic Studies 51, 393–414.
- Eisenhardt, K. M.: 1989, ‘Agency Theory: An Assessment and Review’, Academy of Management Review 14, 57–74.
- Etzioni, A.: 1988, The Moral Dimension-Toward a New Economics(The Free Press, NY).
- Fama, E. F. and M. H. Miller: 1972, The Theory of Finance(Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, NY).
- Frank, R. H., T. Gilovich and D. T. Regan: 1993, ‘Does Studying Economics Inhibit Cooperation?’, Journal of Economic Perspectives 7, 159–171.
- Friedman, M.: 1953, ‘The Methodology of Positive Economics’, in M. Friedman (ed.), Essays in Positive Economics(University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL).
- Harris, M. and A. Raviv: 1991, ‘The Theory of Capital Structure’, Journal of Finance 46, 297–355.
- Hausman, D. M. and M. S. McPherson: 1993, ‘Taking Ethics Seriously: Economics and Contemporary Moral Philosophy’, Journal of Economic Literature 31, 671–731.
- Hirsch, P., S. Michaels and R. Friedman: 1987, ‘Dirty Hands versus Clean Models: Is Sociology in Danger of being Seduced by Economists?’, Theory and Society 16, 317–336.
- Hobbes, T.: 1651, Leviathan, ed. C. B. Macpherson (Penguin Group, London, 1968).
- Horrigan, J. O.: 1987, ‘The Ethics of the New Finance’, Journal of Business Ethics 6, 97–110.
- Jensen, M.: 1983, ‘Organization Theory and Methodology’, Accounting Review 58, 319–338.
- Jensen, M. and W. Meckling: 1976, ‘Theory of the Firm: Managerial Behavior, Agency Costs, and Ownership Structure’, Journal of Financial Economics 3, 305–360.
- Jensen, M. and K. J. Murphy: 1990, ‘Performance Pay and Top-Management Incentives’, Journal of Political Economy 98, 225–264.
- Kaen, F. R., A. Kaufman and L. Zacharias: 1988, ‘American Political Values and Agency Theory - A Perspective’, Journal of Business Ethics 7, 805–820.
- Kant, I: 1785, Grundlegung zur Metaphysik der Sitten, trans. H. J. Paton as Groundwork of the Methaphysics of Morals (Harper & Row, NY, 1964).
- Keeney, R. L. and H. Raiffa: 1976, Decisions with Multiple Objectives: Preferences and Value Tradeoffs (John Wiley: NY.
- Loderer, C. and K. Martin: 1994, ‘Executive Stock Ownership and Performance: Tracking Faint Traces’, unpublished working paper, University of Bern and University of Iowa.
- Mill, J. S.: 1863, ‘Utilitarianism’, in M. Warnok (ed.), Mill: Utilitarianism and other Writings(Collins, Glasgow, 1962).
- Mueller, D. C.: 1992, ‘The Corporation and the Economist’, International Journal of Industrial Organization 10, 147–169.
- Myers, S. C. and N. S. Majluf: 1984, ‘Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions when Firms have Information that Investors do not Have’, Journal of Financial Economics 13, 187–221.
- Noreen, E.: 1988, ‘The Economics of Ethics: A New Perspective on Agency Theory’, Accounting, Organizations and Society 13, 359–369.
- Parfit, D.: 1984, Reasons and Persons.
- Perrow, C.: 1986, Complex Organizations: A Critical Essay(Random House, NY).
- Rasmusen, E.: 1989, Games and Information(Basil Blackwell, NY).
- Reder, M.: 1979, ‘The Place of Ethics in the Theory of Production’, in M. Boskin (ed.), Economics and Human Welfare: Essays in Honor of Boris Scitovsky (Academic Press, NY), pp. 133–146.
- Ross, S. A.: 1987‘The Interrelations of Finance and Economics: Theoretical Perspectives’, American Economic Review 77, 29–34.
- Shaftesbury, E.: 1711, Characteristics of Men, Manners, Opinions, Times.
- Sidgwick, H.: 1874, The Methods of Ethics.
- Smith, A.: 1776, The Wealth of Nations, Cannan edition (Modern Library, NY, 1937).
- Spence, A. M.: 1973, ‘Job Market Signalling’, Quarterly Journal of Economics 87, 355–374.
- Vancil, R. F.: 1987, Passing the Baton(Harvard Business School, MA).
- Walker, M.: 1989, ‘Agency Theory: A Falsificationist Perspective’, Accounting, Organizations and Society 14, 433–453.
- Williamson, O. E.: 1964, The Economics of Discretionary Behavior: Managerial Objectives in a Theory of the Firm (Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ).
- The Agent'ss Ethics in the Principal-Agent Model
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 17, Issue 7 , pp 745-755
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors