An Integrated Model for Ethical Decisions in Marketing Research
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
While many models of ethical decision-making in marketing have been presented in the literature, no recent attempts have been made to explicitly account for ethical decision-making from a marketing research perspective. We present an ethical framework for marketing research, the various philosophies of ethics, and a few enduring marketing ethical decision-making models, thus laying the foundation for a descriptive model for ethics in marketing research. The authors then develop an integrated model of ethical decision-making that incorporates the perspectives of all parties involved in the process of making ethical marketing research decisions, the various philosophies, and external variables. The proposed model is compared with some of the models considered in the literature and illustrated with a marketing research application.
- Akaah, I. P.: 1990, ‘Attitudes of Marketing Professionals Toward Ethics in Marketing Research: A Cross-National Comparison’, Journal of Ethics 9, 45–53.
- Alam, K. F.: 1993, ‘Ethics in New Zealand Organizations’, Journal of Business Ethics 12, 433–440.
- AMA: 1987, ‘AMA Adopts New Code of Ethics’, Marketing News(September 11), 1, 10.
- Armstrong, R. W.: 1992, ‘An Empirical Investigation of International Marketing Ethics: Problems Encountered by Australian Firms’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 161–171.
- Buller, P. F., J. J. Kohls and K. S. Anderson: 1991, ‘The Challenge of Global Ethics’, Journal of Business Ethics 10, 767–775.
- Cavanagh, G. F., D. J. Moberg and M. Velasquez: 1981, ‘The Ethics of Organizational Politics’, Academy of Management Review 6(3), 363–374.
- Cohen, J., L. Pant and D. Sharp: 1993, ‘A Validation and Extention of a Multidimensional Ethics Scale’, Journal of Business Ethics 12, 13–26.
- Ferrell, O. C. and J. Fraedricch: 1991, Business Ethics: Ethical Decision Making and Cases(Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, Massachusetts).
- Ferrell, O. C. and L. Gresham: 1985 (Summer), ‘A Contingency Framework for Understanding Ethical Decision Making in Marketing’, Journal of Marketing 49, 87–96.
- Ferrell, O. C., L. G. Gresham and J. Fraedrich: 1989 (Fall), ‘A Synthesis of Ethical Decision Models for Marketing’, Journal of Macromarketing 9, 55–64.
- Fritzsche, D. J.: 1991, ‘A Model of Decision-Making Incorporating Ethical Values’, Journal of Business Ethics 10, 841–852.
- Fraedrich, J., D. M. Thorne and O. C. Ferrell: 1994, ‘Assessing the Application of Cognitive Moral Development Theory to Business Ethics’, Journal of Business Ethics 13, 829–838.
- Garrett, T.: 1966, Business Ethics(Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey).
- Hansen, R. S.: 1992, ‘A Multidimensional Scale for Measuring Business Ethics: A Purification and Refinement’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 523–534.
- Hosmer, L. T.: 1991, The Ethics of Management, 2nd edn. (Irwin, Homewood, Illinois).
- Hunt, S. D. and S. J. Vitell: 1986 (Spring), ‘A General Theory of Marketing Ethics’, Journal of Macromarketing 6, 5–16.
- Jensen, L. C. and S. A. Wygant: 1990, ‘The Developmental Self-Valuing Theory: A Practical Approach for Business Ethics’, Journal of Business Ethics 9, 215–225.
- Kennedy, E. L. and L. Lawton: 1993, ‘Ethics and Services Marketing’, Journal of Business Ethics 12, 785–795.
- Kohlberg, L.: 1969, ‘Stage and Sequence: The Cognitive Development Approach to Socialization’, in Goslin, D. (ed.), Handbook of Socialization Theory and Research(Rand McNally, Chicago, Illinois), pp. 347–480.
- Laczniak, Gene R. and Patrick E. Murphy: 1993, Ethical Marketing Decisions: The Higher Road(Allyn & Bacon, Needham Heights, MA).
- Laczniak, Gene R. and Patrick E. Murphy: 1991, ‘Fostering Ethical Marketing Decision’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 259–271.
- Laczniak, G. R. and P. E. Murphy: 1985, ‘Introduction’, in G. R. Laczniak and P. E. Murphy (eds.), Marketing Ethics: Guidelines for Managers (Lexington Books, Lexington, Massachusetts).
- Laroche, M., K. L. McGown and J. Rainville: 1986 (Winter), ‘How Ethical Are Professional Marketing Researchers?’, Business Forum, 21–25.
- Macdonald, J. E. and C. L. Beck-Dudley: 1994, ‘Are Deontology and Teleology Mutually Exclusive?’, Journal of Business Ethics 13, 615–623.
- Malhotra, Naresh. K.: 1996, Marketing Research: An Applied Orientation, 2nd edn. (Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey).
- Malhotra, Naresh. K.: 1992, ‘Shifting Perspective on the Shifting Paradigm in Marketing Research’, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 20(4), 379–387.
- Malhotra, Naresh K. and Gina Miller: 1996, ‘Ethical Issues in Marketing Managed Health Care’, Journal of Health Care Marketing 16(1), 60–65.
- Martin, T. R.: 1985, ‘Ethics in Marketing: Problems and Prospects’, in G. R. Laczniak and P. E. Murphy (eds.), Marketing Ethics: Guidelines for Managers(Lexington Books, Lexington, Massachusetts).
- Mayo, M. A. and L. J. Marks: 1990, ‘An Empirical Investigation of a General Theory of Marketing Ethics’, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 18(2), 163–171.
- McDaniel, C., and R. Gates: 1993, Contemporary Marketing Research(West Publishing Company, St. Paul, Minnesota).
- Murphy, P. E. and G. R. Laczniak: 1981, ‘Marketing Ethics: A Review with Implications for Managers, Educators and Researchers’, in B. Ennis and K. Roering (eds.), Review of Marketing 1981(American Marketing Association, Chicago, Illinois), pp. 251–266.
- O'Boyle, E. J. and L. E. Dawson, Jr.: 1992, ‘The American Marketing Association Code of Ethics: Instructions for Marketers’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 921–932.
- Professional Marketing Research Society: 1984, Rules of Conduct and Good Practice(Professional Marketing Research Society, Toronto, Canada).
- Rawles, J.: 1971, A Theory of Justice(Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts).
- Reidenbach, R. E. and D. P. Robin: 1988, ‘Some Initial Steps toward Improving the Measurement and Ethical Evaluations of Marketing Activities’, Journal of Business Ethics 7, 871–879.
- Reidenbach, R. E. and D. P. Robin: 1990, "Toward the Development of a Multidimensional Scale for Improving Evaluations of Business Ethics', Journal of Business Ethics 9, 639–653.
- Shaw, W. H. and V. Barry: 1992, Moral Issues in Business(Wadsworth, Inc., Belmont, California).
- Smith, N. C. and J. A. Quelch: 1993, ‘Ethical Issues in Researching and Targeting Consumers’, in N. C. Smith and J. A. Quelch (eds.), Ethics in Marketing(Irwin, Homewood, Illinois).
- Smith, N. C.: 1993, ‘Ethics and the Marketing Manager’, in N. C. Smith and J. A. Quelch (eds.), Ethics in Marketing(Irwin, Homewood, Illinois).
- Stead, W. E., D. L. Worrell and J. G. Stead: 1990, ‘An Integrative Model for Understanding and Managing Ethical Behavior in Business Organizations’, Journal of Business Ethics 9, 233–242.
- Strong, K. C. and G. D. Meyer: 1992, ‘An Integrative Descriptive Model of Ethical Decision Making’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 89–94.
- Trevino, L. K.: 1986 ( July), ‘Ethical Decision Making in Organizations: A Person-Situation Interactionist Model’, Academy of Management Review 11(3), 601–617.
- Tsalikis, J. and D. J. Fritzsche: 1989, ‘Business Ethics: A Literature Review with a Focus on Marketing Ethics’, Journal of Business Ethics 8, 695–743.
- Tull, D. S. and D. I. Hawkins: 1985, ‘Ethical Issues in Marketing Research’, in G. R. Laczniak and P. E. Murphy (eds.), Marketing Ethics: Guidelines for Managers(Lexington Books, Lexington, Massachusetts).
- Vitell, S. J. and J. Muncy: 1992, ‘Consumer Ethics: An Empirical Investigation of Factors Influencing Ethical Judgments of the Final Consumer’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 585–597.
- Vitell, S. J. and S. D. Hunt: 1990, ‘The General Theory of Marketing Ethics: A Partial Test of the Model’, in Sheth, Jagdish N. (ed.), Research in Marketing, vol. 10 (JAI Press, Greenwich, Connecticut), pp. 237–265.
- Vitell, S. J., S. L. Nwachukwu and J. H. Barnes: 1993,’ The Effects of Culture on Ethical Decision-Making: An Application of Hofstede's Typology’, Journal of Business Ethics 12, 753–760.
- Weiss, J. W.: 1994, Business Ethics: A Managerial, Stakholder Approach(Wadsworth Publishing Company, Belmont, California).
- Whalen, J., R. E. Pitts and J. K. Wong: 1991, ‘Exploring the Strcuture of Ethical Attributions as a Component of the Consumer Decision Model: The Vicarious Versus Personal Perspective’, Journal of Business Ethics 10, 285–293.
- Wines, W. A. and N. K. Napier: 1992, ‘Toward an Understanding of Cross-Cutlural Ethics: A Tentative Model’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 831–841.
- An Integrated Model for Ethical Decisions in Marketing Research
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 17, Issue 3 , pp 263-280
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- marketing research
- Industry Sectors