Purification and characterization of the antimicrobial peptide, ostricacin
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An antimicrobial peptide, ostricacin-1, has been purified and characterized from ostrich leukocytes. The peptide has a mass of 4011 and contained 36 residues, including 3 intramolecular cystine disulfide bonds. Ostricacin-1 has a primary sequence homology to the β-defensin family and was active at 6.7 μg ml−1 against E. coli and Staphylocccus aureus in vitro.
- Boman H (1991) Antibacterial peptides: key components needed in immunity. Cell 65: 205-207.
- Brockus C,Jackwood M,Harmon B (1998) Characterization of β-defensin prepropeptide mRNA from chicken and turkey bone marrow. Animal Genet. 29: 283-289.
- Evans EW,Harmon BG (1995) A review of antimicrobial peptides: defensins and related cationic peptides. Vet. Clin. Pathol. 24: 109-116.
- Evans E,Beach F,Moore K,Jackwood M,Glisson J,Harmon B (1995) Antimicrobial activity of chicken and turkey heterophil peptides CHP1, CHP2, THP1, and THP3. Vet. Microbiol. 47: 295-303.
- Ganz T,Lehrer R (1994) Defensins. Curr. Opin. Immunol. 6: 584-589.
- Harmon BG (1998) Avaian heterophils in inflammation and disease resistance. Poultry Sci. 77: 972-977.
- Harwig SSL,Swiderek KM,Kokryakov VN,Tan L,Lee TD,Panyutich EA,Aleshina GM,Shamova OV,Lehrer RI (1994) Gallinacins: cysteine-rich antimicrobial peptides of chicken leukocytes. FEBS Lett. 342: 281-285.
- Lehrer R,Rosenman M,Harwig S,Jackson R,Eisenhauer P (1991) Ultrasensitive assays for endogenous antimicrobial polypeptides. J. Immunol. Meth. 137: 167-173.
- Martin E,Ganz T,Lehrer RI (1995) Defensins and their endogenous peptide antibiotics of vertebrates. J. Leukocyte Biol. 58: 128-136.
- Nicolas P,Mor A (1995) Peptides as weapons against microorganisms in the chemical defense system of vertebrates. Ann. Rev. Microbiol. 49: 277-304.
- Selsted M,Tang Y,Morris W,McGuire P,Novotny M,Smith W,Henschen A,Cullor JS (1993) Purification, primary structures, and antibacterial activities of β-defensins, a new family antimicrobial peptides from bovine neutrophils. J. Biol. Chem. 268: 6641-6648.
- Yan TR,Lee CS (1997) Characterization of a partially puri-fied bacteriocin, Fermentcin B, from Lactobacillus fermentum. Biotechnol. Lett. 19: 741-744.
- Zimmermann G,Legault P,Selsted M,Pardi A (1995) Solution structure of bovine neutrophil β-defensin-12: the peptide fold of the β-defensins is identical to that of the classical defensins. Biochemistry 34: 13663-13671.
- Purification and characterization of the antimicrobial peptide, ostricacin
Volume 23, Issue 3 , pp 207-210
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- antimicrobial peptide
- ostrich leukocytes
- Industry Sectors