Molecular characterization of methylmalonate semialdehyde dehydrogenase deficiency
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Three patients have been reported with (putative) methylmalonic semialdehyde dehydrogenase (MMSDH) deficiency. The urine metabolic pattern was strikingly different in all, including β-alanine, 3-hydroxypropionic acid, both isomers of 3-amino- and 3-hydroxyisobutyric acids in one and 3-hydroxyisobutyric and lactic acids in a second, and mild methylmalonic aciduria in a third patient. In an effort to clarify these disparate metabolite patterns, we completed the cDNA structure, and characterized the genomic structure of human MMSDH gene in order to undertake molecular analysis. Only the first patient had alterations in the MMSDH coding region, revealing homozygosity for a 1336G>A transversion, which leads to substitution of arginine for highly conserved glycine at amino acid 446. No abnormalities of the MMSDH cDNA were detected in the other patients. These data provide the first molecular characterization of an inborn error of metabolism specific to the L-valine catabolic pathway.
- Boulat O, Benador N, Girardin E, Bachmann C (1995) 3-Hydroxyisobutyric aciduria with a mild clinical course. J Inherit Metab Dis 18: 204–206.
- Brown GK, Hunt SM, Scholem R, et al (1982) Beta-hydroxyisobutyryl coenzyme A deacylase deÐciency: a defect in valine metabolism associated with physical malformations. Pediatrics 70: 532–538.
- Chambliss KL, Hinson DD, Trettel F, et al (1998) Two exon-skipping mutations as the molecular basis of succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase deÐciency (4-hydroxybutyric aciduria). Am J Hum Genet 63: 399–408.
- Ding J-H, Yang B-Z, Wilkinson JK, Chambliss KL, Roe CR (1999) Molecular basis of methylmalonic semialdehyde dehydrogenase (MMSDH) deficiency. J Inherit Metab Dis 22 (Supplement 1): 93(abstract).
- Gibson KM, Lee CF, Bennett MJ, Holmes B, Nyhan WL (1993) Combined malonic, methylmalonic, and ethylmalonic acid semialdehyde dehydrogenase deficiencies: an inborn error of β-alanine, L-valine and L-alloisoleucine metabolism? J Inherit Metab Dis 16: 563–567.
- Goodwin GW, Rougra. PM, Davis EJ, Harris RA (1989) Purification and characterization of methylmalonate-semialdehyde dehydrogenase from rat liver. J Biol Chem 264: 14965–14971.
- Gray RGF, Pollitt RJ, Webley J (1987) Methylmalonic semialdehyde dehydrogenase deÐ-ciency: demonstration of defective valine and beta-alanine metabolism and reduced malonic semialdehyde dehydrogenase activity in cultured fibroblasts. Biochem Med Metab Biol 38: 121–124.
- Hatter K, Sokatch JR (1988) Purification of methylmalonate-semialdehyde dehydrogenase from Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO. Methods Enzymol 166: 389–393.
- Hempel J, Nicholas H, Lindahl R (1993) Aldehyde dehydrogenases: widespread structural and functional diversity within a shared framework. Protein Sci 2: 1890–1900.
- Kedishvili NY, Popov KM, Rougra. PM, Zhao Y, Crabb DW, Harris RA (1992) CoAdependent methylmalonate-semialdehyde dehydrogenase, a unique member of the aldehyde dehydrogenase superfamily: cDNA cloning, evolutionary relationships, and tissue distribution. J Biol Chem 267: 19724–19729.
- Ko F-J, Nyhan WL, Wol. J, Barshop B, Sweetman L (1991) 3-Hydroxyisobutyric aciduria: an inborn error of valine metabolism. Pediatr Res 30: 322–326.
- Pollitt RJ, Green A, Smith R (1985) Excessive excretion of β-alanine and of 3-hydroxypropionic, (R)-and (S)-3-aminoisobutyric, (R) and (S)-3-hydroxisobutyric and (S)-2-(hydroxymethyl)butyric acids probably due to a defect in the metabolism of the corresponding malonic semialdehydes. J Inherit Metab Dis 8: 75–79.
- Roe CR, Cederbaum SC, Roe DS, Mardach R, Galindo A (1998a) Isolated isobutyryl-CoA dehydrogenase deÐciency: a new defect of human valine metabolism. J Inherit Metab Dis 21(supplement 2): 54(abstract).
- Roe CR, Struys E, Kok RM, Roe DS, Harris RA, Jakobs C (1998b) Methylmalonic semialdehyde dehydrogenase deficiency: psychomotor delay and methylmalonic aciduria without metabolic decompensation. Mol Genet Metab 65: 35–43.
- Molecular characterization of methylmalonate semialdehyde dehydrogenase deficiency
Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease
Volume 23, Issue 5 , pp 497-504
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
- 2. Department of Clinical Chemistry, Children's Hospital, Birmingham, UK
- 3. Neonatal Screening Laboratory, Children's Hospital, Sheffield, UK
- 4. Departments of Molecular and Medical Genetic s and Pediatrics, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon, USA