An Application of Beck's Cognitive Therapy to General Anger Reduction
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Beck's cognitive therapy (CT) was compared to a no-treatment control in the reduction of anger in college students. CT lowered trait anger, anger reactivity to many potential provocations, anger in the individual's most angering ongoing situation, daily anger, anger-related physiological arousal, anger suppression, and outward negative expression. CT also enhanced positive forms of anger expression. Treatment effect sizes were medium to large, with many being quite large, and significantly more CT participants met an index of clinically significant change. Moreover, CT lowered trait anxiety and depression. Reductions of anger and trait anxiety were maintained at 15-month follow-up. CT was judged an effective, promising treatment for anger reduction.
- Achmon, J., Granek, M., Golomb, M., & Hart, J. (1989). Behavior treatment of essential hypertension: A comparison between cognitive therapy and biofeedback of heart rate. Psychosomatic Medicine, 51, 152-164.
- Beck, A. T., & Emery, G. (1985). Anxiety disorders and phobias: A cognitive perspective. New York: Guilford Press.
- Beck, A. T., Rush, A. J., Shaw, B. F., & Emery, G. (1979). Cognitive therapy of depression. New York: Guilford Press.
- Beck, R., & Fernandez, E. (1998). Cognitive-behavioral therapy in the treatment of anger: A meta-analysis. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 22, 63-74.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Deffenbacher, J. L. (1990). Demonstrating the influence of cognition on emotion and behavior. Teaching of Psychology, 17, 182-185.
- Deffenbacher, J. L., Oetting, E. R., Huff, M. F., Cornell, G. R., & Dallager, C. J. (1996). Evaluation of two cognitive-behavioral approaches to general anger reduction. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 20, 551-573.
- Deffenbacher, J. L., & Stark, R. S. (1992). Relaxation and cognitive-relaxation treatments of general anger. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 39. 158-167.
- Deffenbacher, J. L., Story, D. A., Brandon, A. D., Hogg, J. A., & Hazaleus, S. L. (1988). Cognitive and cognitive-relaxation treatments of anger. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 12, 167-184.
- Deffenbacher, J. L., Thwaites, G. A., Wallace, T. L., & Oetting, E. R. (1994). Social skills and cognitiverelaxation approaches to general anger reduction. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 41, 386-396.
- Hazaleus, S. L., & Deffenbacher, J. L. (1986). Relaxation and cognitive treatments of anger. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 54, 22-226.
- Jacobson, N. S., Dobson, K. S., Truax, P. A., Addis, M. E., Koerner, K., Gollan, J. K., Gortner, E., & Prince, S. E. (1996). A component analysis of cognitive-behavioral treatment for depression. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 64, 295-304.
- Jacobson, N. S., & Truax, P. A. (1991). Clinical significance: A statistical approach to defining meaningful change in psychotherapy research. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 59, 12-19.
- Moon, J. R., & Eisler, R. M. (1983). Anger control: An experimental comparison of three behavioral treatments. Behavior Therapy, 14, 493-505.
- Morris, C. D., Deffenbacher, J. L., Lynch, R. S., & Oetting, E. R. (1996, August). Anger expression and its consequences. Paper presented at the 104th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Novaco, R. W. (1975). Anger control. Lexington, MA: Heath.
- Spielberger, C. D. (1988). Manual for the State-Trait Anger Expression Inventory. Orlando, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources.
- Spielberger, C. D., Gorsuch, R., & Lushene, R. (1970). Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (Self Evaluation Questionnaire). Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Trafate, R. C. (1995). Evaluation of treatment strategies for adult anger disorders. In H. Kassinove (Ed.), Anger disorders: Definition, diagnosis, and treatment (pp. 109-130). Washington, DC: Taylor and Francis.
- Whiteman, M., Fanshel, D., & Grundy, J. F. (1987). Cognitive-behavioral interventions aimed at anger of parents at risk for child abuse. Social Work, 32, 469-474.
- Wilson, G. T., & Fairburn, C. G. (1993). Cognitive treatments of eating disorders. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 61, 261-269.
- An Application of Beck's Cognitive Therapy to General Anger Reduction
Cognitive Therapy and Research
Volume 24, Issue 6 , pp 689-697
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- anger reduction
- cognitive therapy