Nash Bargaining Theory, Nonconvex Problems and Social Welfare Orderings
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper we deal with the extension of Nash bargaining theory to nonconvex problems. By focussing on the Social Welfare Ordering associated with a bargaining solution, we characterize the symmetric Nash Bargaining Solution (NBS). Moreover, we obtain a unified method of proof of recent characterization results for the asymmetric single-valued NBS and the symmetric multivalued NBS, as well as their extensions to different domains.
- Conley, J. and Wilkie, S. (1996), The bargaining problem without convexity: Extending the Nash solution, Games and Economic Behavior 13: 26–38.
- d'Aspremont, C. (1985), Axioms for social welfare orderings, in L. Hurwicz, D. Schmeidler and H. Sonnenschein (eds.), Social Goals and Social Organization, North Holland, Amsterdam.
- Herrero, M.J. (1989), The Nash program: Non-convex bargaining problems, Journal of Economic Theory 49: 266–277.
- Kaneko, M. (1980), An extension of the Nash bargaining problem and the Nash social welfare function, Theory and Decision 12: 135–148.
- Mariotti, M. (1998a), Nash bargaining theory when the number of alternatives can be finite, Social Choice and Welfare 15: 413–421.
- Mariotti, M. (1998b), Extending Nash's axioms to non-convex problems, Games and Economic Behavior 22: 377–383.
- Moulin, H. (1988), Axioms for Cooperative Decision Making, North Holland, Amsterdam.
- Nash, J. (1950), The bargaining problem, Econometrica 18: 155–162.
- Roth, A. (1977), Individual rationality and Nash's solution to the bargaining problem, Mathematics of Operations Research 2: 64–65.
- Zhou, L. (1997), The Nash bargaining theory with non-convex problems, Econometrica 65: 681–686.
- Nash Bargaining Theory, Nonconvex Problems and Social Welfare Orderings
Theory and Decision
Volume 48, Issue 4 , pp 351-358
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Nash solution
- Nonconvex problems
- Social Welfare Orderings
- Industry Sectors