But Is It Poetry?
- Glenna Sloan
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
At the beginning of the twentieth century, the number of poets whose works were intended solely for children was relatively small. At the century's end, poetry and verse for children is a burgeoning field, the roster of children's poets long and growing. Some critics find little merit in the genre, preferring that children be introduced instead to the works of acknowledged “great” poets. This essay explores, among related ideas, such questions as these: In today's abundance of children's verse, is there genuine poetry? What do critics and poets consider to be genuine poetry? Where do the children themselves stand on the subject of poetry?
- Adoff, Arnold, All the Colors of the Race. New York: Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1982.
- Carroll, A. et al, (Eds.), 101 Great American Poems. Mineola, New York: Dover, 1998.
- Carroll, Lewis, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. London: Heritage, 1971, 1944.
- Fletcher, Ralph, Twilight Comes Twice. New York: Clarion Books, 1997.
- Florian, Douglas, Bing Bang Boing. New York: Harcourt Brace, 1994.
- Frye, Northrop, On Teaching Literature. New York: Harcourt Brace, 1972.
- George, Kristine O'Connell, Old Elm Speaks. New York: Clarion Books, 1998.
- Hague, Michael (Selector and Illustrator), The Owl and the Pussy-Cat and Other Nonsense Poems by Edward Lear. New York: North-South Books, 1995.
- Hirsch, Edward, How to Read a Poem. New York: Harcourt Brace, 1999.
- Koch, Kenneth, Making Your Own Days: The Pleasures of Reading and Writing Poetry. New York: Scribner, 1998.
- Koch, Kenneth, Wishes, Lies, and Dreams. New York: Chelsea House, 1970.
- Kuskin, Karla, Dogs and Dragons, Trees and Dreams. New York: Harper and Row, 1980.
- Lee, Dennis, Alligator Pie. Toronto: Macmillan of Canada, 1974.
- Lee, Dennis, Garbage Delight. Toronto: Macmillan of Canada, 1977.
- Lewis, J. Patrick, Riddle-icious. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1996.
- Livingston, Myra C., “But is it poetry?” Part 1, The Horn Book Magazine. December 1975, 571-580.
- Livingston, Myra C., “But is it poetry?” Part 2, The Horn Book Magazine. February 1976, 24-31.
- Livingston, Myra C., The Child as Poet: Myth or Reality. Boston: The Horn Book Inc., 1984.
- Livingston, Myra C., Poem-Making: Ways to Begin Writing Poetry. New York: HarperCollins, 1991.
- McCord, David. For Me to Say. Boston: Little, Brown, 1970.
- Opie, Iona, and Opie, Peter, The Lore and Language of Schoolchildren. London: Oxford, 1959.
- Opie, Peter, and Opie, Iona, The Oxford Nursery Rhyme Book. London: Oxford University Press, 1955.
- Prelutsky, Jack (Compiler), The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1999.
- Rosenberg, Liz, “Has poetry for kids become a child's garden of rubbish?” The New York Times Book Review, November 10, Section 7, 55, 1991.
- Rosenberg, Liz (Ed.), The Invisible Ladder: An Anthology of Contemporary American Poems for Young Readers. New York: Henry Holt, 1996.
- Samuels, Patrice, “A symphony of classicism and Mad Avenue,” Workplace, The New York Times, December 22, 1999.
- Schertle, Alice, Advice for a Frog. New York: Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1995.
- Sloan, Glenna, “Eve Merriam: A profile,” Language Arts, 1981, 58, 957-964.
- Smith, Lillian, The Unreluctant Years. Chicago: American Library Association, 1953.
- Soto, Gary, Canto Familiar. New York: Harcourt Brace & Company, 1995.
- Styles, Morag, From the Garden to the Street: Three Hundred Years of Poetry for Children. London: Cassell, 1998.
- Townsend, John Rowe, Written for Children. Lanham, MD & London: Scarecrow Press, 1996.
- Updike, John, A Child's Calendar. New York: Holiday House, 1965, 1999.
- Vetere, Kim, Author Study: Valerie Worth. Unpublished student paper, Master of Education Program, Queens College, CUNY, Flushing, NY, 1999.
- Willard, Nancy, A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1981.
- Worth, Valerie, All the Small Poems and Fourteen More. New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1987, 1994.
- But Is It Poetry?
Children's Literature in Education
Volume 32, Issue 1 , pp 45-56
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- children's poetry
- children's verse
- poetry and literacy