Overcoming the Problems of ‘Difference’ in Education: Empathy as ‘Intercorporeality’
- Marjorie O'Loughlin
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper I am concerned with the notion of empathy and its capacity for overcoming the problem of difference in social life. The concept of empathy has a long history in the Western philosophic tradition but has become discursively submerged in recent times. I am particularly interested in what philosophies of the body may contribute to our understanding of empathy. Psychoanalytic feminism provides some insights. However I identify Merleau-Ponty's conception of body-subject and the intersubjective encounter as offering a potentially more fruitful account of empathy.
- Benjamin J, (1988) The Bonds of Love: Psychoanalysis, Feminism and the Problem of Domination, New York: Pantheon.
- Best D, (1985) Feeling and Reason in the Arts, London: Allen and Unwin.
- Butler J, (1990) Gender Trouble, New York: Routledge.
- Crossley N, (1995) ‘Merleau-Ponty, the Elusive Body and Carnal Sociology’ in Body and Society, Vol 1,No. 1, March 1995.
- Chodorow N, (1978) The Reproduction of Mothering, Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Dewey J, (1938) Experience and Education Lafayett, Indiana: Macmillan.
- Eagleton T, (1990) The Ideology of the Aesthetic, Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Featherstone M, Hepworth M and Turner B, (1991) The Body. Social Process and Cultural Theory, London: Sage Publications.
- Foucault M, (1977) Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison Trans. Alan Sheridan, London: Allen Lane.
- Gadamer H G, (1979) Truth and Method, Trans. W Glen-Dopel, J Cumming and G Barden, London: Sheed and Ward.
- Grosz E, (1994) Volatile Bodies: Toward a Corporeal Feminism, Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press.
- Harre R, (1983) Personal Being: A Theory for Individual Psychology, Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Irigaray L, (1985b) This Sex Which is Not One, Trans. C Porter, Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- Kant I, (1790) The Critique of Pure Reason, Trans. J C Meredith, Oxford, Clarendon Press.
- Kristeva J, (1980) Desire in Language, New York: Columbia University Press.
- Langer S, (1953) Feeling and Form, London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- Lyotard J F, (1979) The Postmodern Condition, Trans. Geoff Bennington and Brian Massumi. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Meyers D, (1994) Subjection and Subjectivity. Psychoanalytic Feminism and Moral Philosophy, New York, Routledge.
- Merleau-Ponty M, (1962) The Phenomenology of Perception. Trans. Colin Smith, London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- Merleau-Ponty M, (1968) The Visible and the Invisible, Trans. Alphonso Lingis, Evanston: North-western University Press.
- O'Loughlin, M (1994) ‘Being and Knowing: Explorations in Ontologies’ Proceedings of the Biennial Conference of the International Network of Philosophers of Education, Leuven, Belgium.
- Rawls J, (1971) A Theory of Justice, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Sartre J-P, (1956) Being and Nothingness, Trans. Hazel Barnes, New York: Philosophical Library.
- Touraine A, (1995) Critique of Modernity, Trans. David Macey, Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Overcoming the Problems of ‘Difference’ in Education: Empathy as ‘Intercorporeality’
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 17, Issue 4 , pp 283-293
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- intercultural communication
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Social and Political Studies, University of Sydney, Australia