Psychometric Properties of the Multidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support in Urban Adolescents
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The psychometric properties of the Multidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support (MSPSS) were investigated in 222 urban, largely African-American adolescents (68%). High internal consistency was demonstrated, and factor analysis confirmed the three subscale structures of the MSPSS: family, friends, and significant other. Correlations with a family caring scale supported the discriminant validity of the Family subscale. These results confirm the reliability, validity, and utility of the MSPSS with an urban, largely African-American adolescent sample. Implications of the findings are discussed.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Alderman, E. M., Lauby, J. L., & Coupey, S. M. (1995). Problem behaviors in inner-city adolescents with chronic illness. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 16, 339–344.
- Brandt, P. A., & Weinert, C. (1981). The PRQ—A social support measure. Nursing Research, 30, 277–280.
- Canty-Mitchell, J. L. (1996). The caring needs of African American male juvenile offenders.Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 8, 3–12.
- Canty-Mitchell, J. L. (2000). Development and testing of the Adolescent Family Caring Scale (submitted for publication).
- Cauce, A. M., Felner, R. D., & Primavera, J. (1982). Social support in high-risk adolescents: Structural components and adaptive impact. American Journal of Community Psychology, 10, 417–428.
- Cecil, H., Stanley, M. A., Carrion, P. G., & Swann, A. (1995). Psychometric properties of the MSPSS and NOS in psychiatric outpatients. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 51, 593–602.
- Dahlem, N.W., Zimet, G. D., & Walker, R. R. (1991). TheMultidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support: A confirmation study. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 47, 756–761.
- Floyd, F. J., & Widaman, K.F. (1995). Factor analysis in the development and refinement of clinical assessment instruments. Psychological Assessment,7, 286–299. CrossRef
- Frey, C. U., & Rothlisberger, C. (1996). Social support in healthy adolescents. Journal of Youth and Adolescence,25, 17–31.
- Gavazzi, S. M. (1994). Perceived social support from family and friends in a clinical sample of adolescents. Journal of Personality Assessment, 62, 465–471.
- Gorsuch, R. L. (1997). Exploratory factor analysis: Its role in item analysis. Journal of Personality Assessment, 68, 532–560.
- Graham, S. (1992). “Most of the subjects were white and middle class”: Trends in published research on African Americans in selected APA journals, 1970–1989. American Psychologist, 47, 629–639. CrossRef
- Grammatik 6.0a, WordPerfect Grammar Checker [computer software]. (1994). Orem, UT: PNovell, Inc.
- Hughes, D., Seidman, E., & Williams, N. (1993). Cultural phenomena and the research enterprise: Toward a culturally anchored methodology. American Journal of Community Psychology,21, 687–704.
- Kazarian, S. S., & McCabe, S.B. (1991). Dimensions of social support in the MSPSS: Factorial structure, reliability, and theoretical implications. Journal of Community Psychology, 19, 150–160.
- Licitra-Kleckler, D. M., & Waas, G. A. (1993). Perceived social support among high-stress adolescents: The role of peers and family. Journal of Adolescent Research,8, 381–402.
- Lifrak, P. D., McKay, J. R., Rostain, A., Alterman, A. I., & O'Brien, C. P. (1997). Relationship of perceived competencies, perceived social support, and gender to substance use in young adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 36, 933–940. CrossRef
- Maton, K. I., Teti, D. M., Corns, K. M., Vieira-Baker, C. C., Lavine, J. R., Gouze, K. R., & Keating, D. P. (1996). Cultural specificity of support sources, correlates and contexts: Three studies of African-American and Caucasian youth. American Journal of Community Psychology,24, 551–587.
- Millstein, S. G., Petersen, A. C., & Nightingale, E. O. (Eds.) (1993). Promoting the health of adolescents. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Norbeck, J. S., Lindsey, A. M., & Carrieri, V. L. (1981). The development of an instrument to measure social support. Nursing Research, 30, 264–269.
- Norusis, M. J. (1994). SPSS Professional Statistics [Computer software]. Chicago, IL: SPSS Inc.
- Procidano, M. E., & Heller, K. (1983). Measures of perceived social support from friends and from family: Three validation studies. American Journal of Community Psychology, 11, 1–24.
- Secco, M. L., & Moffatt, M. E. K. (1994). A review of social support theories and instruments used in adolescent mothering research. Journal of Adolescent Health, 15, 517–527.
- Shafer, M. A., & Boyer, C. B. (1991). Psychosocial and behavioral factors associated with risk of sexually transmitted diseases, including human immunodeficiency virus infection, among urban high school students. Journal of Pediatrics, 119, 826–833.
- St. Lawrence, J. S., Brasfield, T. L., Jefferson, K. W., Allyene, E., & Shirley, A. (1994). Social support as a factor in African-American adolescents' sexual risk behavior. Journal of Adolescent Research,9, 292–310.
- Tardy, C. H. (1985). Social support measurement. American Journal of Community Psychology, 13, 187–202.
- Walter, H. J., Vaughan, R. D., Gladis, M. M., Ragin, D. F., Kasen, S., & Cohall, A. T. (1992). Factors associated with AIDS risk behaviors among high school students in an AIDS epicenter. American Journal of Public Health,82, 528–532.
- Wilson, D. K., Rodrique, J. R., & Taylor, W. C. (Eds.) (1997). Health-promoting and healthcompromising behaviors among minority adolescents. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Zimet, G. D., Dahlem, N. W., Zimet, S. G., & Farley, G. K. (1988). The Multidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support. Journal of Personality Assessment, 52, 30–41.
- Zimet, G. D., Powell, S. S., Farley, G. K., Werkman, S., & Berkoff, K. A. (1990). Psychometric characteristics of the Multidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support. Journal of Personality Assessment, 55, 610–617.
About this Article
- Psychometric Properties of the Multidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support in Urban Adolescents
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 28, Issue 3 , pp 391-400
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- social support
- psychometric properties