A Virtue Approach Instead of a Kantian Approach as a Solution to Major Dilemmas in Meta-ethics? A Criticism of David Carr
- A. Tellings
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This contribution is a criticism of some points David Carr brings forward both in his 1991 book (Educating the Virtues) but even more so in his 1996 article in this journal (After Kohlberg: Some Implications of an Ethics of Virtue for the Theory of Moral Education and Development). With the help of a virtue approach Carr tries to solve the moral objectivism-moral relativism dilemma and the deontologism-consequentialism dilemma in ethics. I will argue that his attempt, though very interesting, suffers from some serious flaws and that, either, Carr's position is much closer to a Kantian approach than Carr thinks, or Carr's position needs a good deal of clarification.
- Baron, M.W., Pettit, P. & Slote, M.: 1997, Three Methods of Ethics: A Debate, Massachusetts.
- Boyd, D.: 1989, ‘The Character of Moral Development’, in L. R. Nucci (ed.), Moral Development and Character Education. A Dialogue, Chicago, pp. 95–123.
- Carr, D.: 1991, Educating The Virtues, London, New York.
- Carr, D. (1996) After Kohlberg: Some Implications of an Ethics of Virtue for the Theory of Moral Education and Development. Studies in Philosophy and Education 15: pp. 353-370
- Steutel, J. (1997) The Virtue Approach to Moral Education: Some conceptual Clarifications. Journal of Philosophy of Education 31: pp. 395-407
- Turiel, E. (1990) Moral Judgment, Action, and Development. New Directions for Child Development 47: pp. 31-51
- A Virtue Approach Instead of a Kantian Approach as a Solution to Major Dilemmas in Meta-ethics? A Criticism of David Carr
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 47-56
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- virtue ethics
- moral education
- A. Tellings (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Nijmegen, Nijmegen, the Netherlands