Factors Controlling Mercury Transport in an Upland Forested Catchment
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Total mercury (Hg) deposition and input/output relationships were investigated in an 11-ha deciduous forested catchment in northern Vermont as part of ongoing evaluations of Hg cycling and transport in the Lake Champlain basin. Atmospheric Hg deposition (precipitation + modeled vapor phase downward flux) was 425 mg ha-1 during the one-year period March 1994 through February 1995 and 463 mg ha-1 from March 1995 through February 1996. In the same periods, stream export of total Hg was 32 mg ha-1, respectively. Thus, there was a net retention of Hg by the catchment of 92% the first year and 95% the second year. In the first year, 16.9 mg ha-1 or about half of the annual stream export, occurred on the single day of peak spring snowmelt in April. In contrast, the maximum daily export in the second year, when peak stream flow was somewhat lower, was 3.5 mg ha-1 during a January thaw. The fate of the Hg retained by this forested catchment is not known. Dissolved (< 0.22 µm) Hg concentrations in stream water ranged from 0.5-2.6 ng L-1, even when total (unfiltered) concentrations were greater than 10 ng L-1 during high flow events. Total Hg concentrations in stream water were correlated with the total organic fraction of suspended sediment, suggesting the importance of organic material in Hg transport within the catchment. High flow events and transport with organic material may be especially important mechanisms for the movement of Hg through forested ecosystems.
- Aastrup, M., Johnson, J., Bringmark, E., Bringmark, I. and Iverfeldt, A.: 1991, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 56, 155.
- Bishop, K., Lee, Y.-H., Pettersson, C. and Allard, B.: 1995, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 80, 445.
- Branfireun, B.A., Heyes, A. and Roulet, N.T.: 1996, Water Resourc. Res. 32, 1785.
- Budd, L. and Meals, D.: 1994, Lake Champlain Nonpoint Source Pollution Assessment, Lake Champlain Basin Program, Grand Isle, Vermont.
- Burke, J., Hoyer, M., Keeler, G. and Scherbatskoy, T.: 1995, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 80, 353.
- Driscoll, C.T., Yan, C., Schofield, C.L., Munson, R.K. and Holsapple, J.G.: 1994, Environ. Sci. Technol. 28, 136A.
- Hanson, P.J., Lindberg, S.E., Tahherer, T.A., Owens, J.G. and Kim, K.-H,: 1995, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 80, 373.
- Hoyer, H., Burke, J. and Keeler, G.: 1995, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 80, 199.
- Hultberg, H., Munthe, J. and Iverfeldt, Å.: 1995, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 80, 415.
- Hurley, J. P., Benoit, J. M., Babiarz, C. L., Shafer, M. M., Andren, A. W., Sullivan, J. R., Hammond, R. and Webb, D.A.: 1995, Environ. Sci. Technol. 29, 1867.
- Johanssen, K., Aastrup, M., Andersson, A., Bringmark, I. and Iverfeldt, Å.: 1991, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 56, 267.
- Johnson, D.W. and Lindberg, S.E.: 1995, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 80, 1069.
- Keeler, G., Glinsorn, G. and Pirrone, N.: 1995, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 80, 159.
- Krabbenhoft, D.P., Benoit, J.M., Babiarz, C.L., Hurley, J.P. and Andren, A.W.: 1995, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 80, 425.
- Landis, M. S. and Keeler, G.J.: 1997, Environ. Sci. Technol. 31, 2610.
- Lee, Y.-H., Borg, G., Iverfeldt, Å. and Hultberg, H.: 1994, in C.J. Watrus and J.W. Huckabee (eds.), Mercury Pollution: Integration and Synthesis, Lewis Publishers, Chelsea, MI, pp. 329–341.
- Lee, Y.-H. and Iverfeldt, Å., 1991, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 56, 309.
- Lindberg, S.E., Meyers, T.P., Taylor, G.E., Turner, R.R., and Schroeder, W.H.: 1992, J. Geophys. Res. 97, 2519.
- Lindberg, S.E.: 1993, J. Geophys. Res. 97, 14677.
- Lindqvist, O.: 1991, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 55, 73.
- Mason, R. P., Fitzgerald, W. F. and Morel, F.M.M.: 1994, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 58, 3191.
- Mierle, G. and Ingram, R.: 1991, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 56, 349.
- Rea, A. W., Keeler, G. J. and Scherbatskoy, T.: 1996, Atmos. Environ. 30, 3257.
- Scherbatskoy, T., Burke, J.M., Rea, A.W. and Keeler, G.J.: 1997, in J.E. Baker (ed.), Atmospheric Deposition of Contaminants to the Great Lakes and Coastal Waters, Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Special Publication Series, SETAC Press, Pensacola, FL, pp. 245–258.
- Schuster, E.: 1991, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 56, 667.
- Siegel, S.M. and Siegel, B.Z.: 1988, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 40, 443.
- Swain, E.B., Engstrom, D.R., Brigham, M.E., Henning, T.A. and Brezonik, P.I.: 1992, Science 257, 784.
- Vasu, A.B. and McCullough, M.L.: 1994, First Report to Congress on Deposition of Air Pollutants to the Great Lakes Waters, EPA-453/R-93–055, U.S. EPA Office of Air Quality and Planning Standards, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
- Watzin, M.C.: 1992, A Research and Monitoring Agenda for Lake Champlain: Proceedings of a Workshop, Lake Champlain Basin Program Technical Report No.I, U.S. EPA, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Westling, O.: 1991, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 56, 419.
- Wilmot, S.H. and Scherbatskoy, T.: 1994, Vermont Monitoring Cooperative Annual Report for 1993, VMC Annual Report Number 3, Vermont Department of Forests, Parks, and Recreation, Waterbury, Vermont.
- Zhang, L., Planas, D. and Qian, J.-L.: 1995, Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 81, 153.
- Factors Controlling Mercury Transport in an Upland Forested Catchment
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 105, Issue 1-2 , pp 427-438
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- input/output budget
- Lake Champlain watershed
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Natural Resources, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 05405, USA
- 2. U.S. Geological Survey, P.O. Box 628, Montpelier, VT, 05601, USA
- 3. Air Quality Laboratory, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA