Statistical Analysis with Bootstrap Diagnostics of Atmospheric Pollutants Predicted in the Apsis Experiment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Predictions of O3 and NO2 delivered by three eulerian models the APSIS study are compared with observed levels of the phenomen recorded on 25 May 1990, over the greater Athens area, Greece. A variety of measures are used to test model performances, including normalised mean square error, bias and correlation, for which confidence intervals are consteucted. Causes of differences in the model differences are briefly discussed. A jackknife diagnostic check is performed on the adequacy of the bootstrap procedure used to make the intervals, which are found to be suitably robust. Similarities in model behaviour, and specific performancies, are detected. Some statistical criteria seem to give a slight advantage to one of the three sets of model results, although important biases can occur locally, between observations and predictions. On the whole, no one of the set of model results emerges as significantly superior to the others.
- Biospheric Model Validation StudyWorking Group: 1995, Technical Report Number 3 - Qualitative and Quantitative Guidelines for the Comparison of Environmental Model Predictions, Swedish Radiation Protection Institute, Sweden.
- Cox, W. M. and Tikvart, J. A.: 1985, Assessing the Performance Level of Air Quality Models. Proceedings of the 15th International Technical Meeting on Air Pollution Monitoring and its Applications, NATO/CCMS.
- Cox, W. M. and Moss, G. K.: 1985, Evaluation of Rural Air Quality Simulation Models. Addendum A: Muskingum River Data Base. EPA450/483000, US EPA, Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Draper, N. R. and Smith, H.: 1981, Applied Regression Analysis 2nd edition, John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Efron, B.: 1982, The Jackknife, the Bootstrap and Other Resampling Plans, Volume 38 of CNMSNSF Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics, SIAM.
- Efron, B.: 1992, J. Royal. Statist. Soc. 54, 83.
- Efron, B. and Tibshirani, R.: 1993, An Introduction to the Bootstrap, Chapman and Hall, New York.
- Giovannoni, J.M. and Russel, A. G.: 1995, Atmospheric Environment 29, 3633. CrossRef
- Hall, P.: 1986, Ann. Statist. 14, 153.
- Hanna, S. R.: 1988, JAPCA 38, 406.
- Hanna, S. R.: 1989, Atmospheric Environment 23, 1385. CrossRef
- Klug, W., Graziani, G., Grippa, G., Pierce, D. and Tassone, C. (eds.): 1992, Evaluation of Long Range Atmospheric TransportModels using Environmental Radiactivity Data from the Chernobyl Accident. Elsevier, London and New York.
- Moussiopoulos, N.: 1995, Meteorology and Applied Physics 57, 115.
- Nestor, K.: 1995, Atmospheric Environment 29, 3655. CrossRef
- Raes, F., Tassona, C., Grippa, G., Zarimpas, N. and Graziani, G.: 1991, Atmospheric Environment 25A, 2807.
- Rodriguez, D., Walker, H., Klepikowa, N., Kostrikvov, A. and Zhuk, Y.: 1995, Atmospheric Environment 29, 799. CrossRef
- Statistical Analysis with Bootstrap Diagnostics of Atmospheric Pollutants Predicted in the Apsis Experiment
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 106, Issue 1-2 , pp 43-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- photochemical model intercomparisons
- Industry Sectors