The advantages of a high density, mixed land use, linear urban development
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper describes the land use and transport characteristics of a strip of urban development located along the northern shore of Hong Kong Island. The strip of land, with an area of 22.5 sq. km, is 17 km long and has an average width of 1.3 km. It has a population of approximately one million and provides over 700,000 jobs. Despite its small size, it accommodates the CBD, residential districts, shopping complexes as well as most of the civic/institutional facilities that a city needs. Its urban form is linear not by design but by default – the topography of the area has constrained the development from spreading sideways. Surprisingly however, apart from economy in land utilization, it is considered to possess three other good qualities: high accessibility enjoyed by residents; few roads and commercially viable public transport. Its travel characteristics are analyzed, using results of a home interview survey conducted by the Government in 1992. In addition, various statistics published by the Government and public transport authorities are also used in the analysis.
- Bland B. H. (1979) Land use patterns and the viability of bus services: a study using the Transport and Road Research Laboratory LUTE model. Paper M24 presented to the Planning and Transportation Research and Computation Summer Annual Meeting, Warwick University, 9-12 July 1979.
- China Motor Bus Company (1993) Annual Report 1993.
- Government Information Services (1994) Hong Kong 1994: A Review of 1993. Hong Kong Government Printer.
- Highways Department (1989) Hong Kong's Highways. Hong Kong Government Printer.
- Mass Transit Railway Corporation (1993) Annual Report 1993.
- MVA Asia (1993) Travel Characteristics Survey. Territory Transport Planning Division, Transport Department, Hong Kong Government.
- Newman P. and Kenworthy J. (1989) Cities and Automobile Dependence: A Sourcebook. Gower.
- Planning Department (1992) Metroplan, The Selected Strategy, Executive Summary. Hong Kong Government Printer.
- Planning Department (1993) Territorial Development Strategy Review, Foundation Report. Hong Kong Government Printer.
- Transport Branch (1994) Report of the Working Party on Measures to Address Traffic Congestion. Hong Kong Government.
- Transport Department (1993) The Annual Traffic Census 1992. Hong Kong Government Printer.
- Wilbur Smith Associates (1994) Conversion and Enhancement of Second Comprehensive Transport Study. Territory Transport Planning Division, Transport Department, Hong Kong Government. Unpublished Report.
- The advantages of a high density, mixed land use, linear urban development
Volume 24, Issue 3 , pp 295-307
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- city form
- transport characteristics
- urban development
- Industry Sectors