- Richard Bradley
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Conditional attitudes are not the attitudes an agent is disposed to acquire in event of learning that a condition holds. Rather they are the components of agent's current attitudes that derive from the consideration they give to the possibility that the condition is true. Jeffrey's decision theory can be extended to include quantitative representation of the strength of these components. A conditional desirability measure for degrees of conditional desire is proposed and shown to imply that an agent's degrees of conditional belief are conditional probabilities. Rational conditional preference is axiomatised and by application of Bolker's representation theorem for rational preferences it is shown that conditional preference rankings determine the existence of probability and desirability measures that agree with them. It is then proven that every conditional desirability function agrees with an agent's conditional preferences and, under certain assumptions, every desirability function agreeing with an agent's conditional preferences is a conditional desirability function agreeing with her unconditional preferences.
- Bolker, E. (1966) Functions resembling quotients of measures, Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 124: 292-312.
- Earman, J. (1992) Bayes or Bust? A Critical Examination of Bayesian Confirma-tion Theory, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Jeffrey, R.C. (1983) The Logic of Decision, Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Sobel, J.H. (1989) Partition theorems for causal decision theorists, Philosophy of Science 56(1): 70-94.
- Stalnaker, R.C. (1987) Inquiry, Cambridge, MA: Bradford Books.
- Teller, P. (1973) Conditionalization and observation, Philosophy of Science 26: 218-258.
- Conditional Desirability
Theory and Decision
Volume 47, Issue 1 , pp 23-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Conditional attitudes
- Conditional probability
- Conditional desirability
- Decision theory
- Representation theorem
- Conditional preference
- Industry Sectors
- Richard Bradley (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre de Recherche en Epistémologie Appliquée, 47 rue des Vignes, F-75016, Paris, France Phone