On the Bennequin Invariant and the Geometry of Wave Fronts
- Emmanuel Ferrand
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The theory of Arnold's invariants of plane curves and wave fronts is applied to the study of the geometry of wave fronts in the standard 2-sphere, in the Euclidean plane and in the hyperbolic plane. Some enumerative formulae similar to the Plücker formulae in algebraic geometry are given in order to compute the generalized Bennequin invariant J + in terms of the geometry of the front. It is shown that in fact every coefficient of the polynomial invariant of Aicardi can be computed in this way. In the case of affine wave fronts, some formulae previously announced by S.L. Tabachnikov are proved. This geometric point of view leads to a generalization to generic wave fronts of a result shown by Viro for smooth plane curves. As another application, the Fabricius-Bjerre and Weiner formulae for smooth plane and spherical curves are generalized to wave fronts.
- Arnol'd, V.: Plane curves, their invariants, perestroikas and classifications, Preprint, ETH Z¨urich, 1993; Singularities and curves, Adv. Soviet Math. 21(1994), 33–91.
- Arnol'd, V.: Topological Invariants of Plane Curves and Caustics, University Lecture Series, vol. 5, Amer. Math. Soc., 1994.
- Arnol'd, V.: Invariants and Perestroikas of Plane Fronts, Trudy Math. Inst. Steklova, 1994.
- Arnol'd, V.: The geometry of spherical curves and the algebra of quaternions, Russian Math. Surveys, vn50
- Aicardi, F.: Discriminant and local invariants of planar fronts, Preprint, Trieste, 1994.
- Aicardi, F.: Topological invariant of knots and framed knots in the solid torus, C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris, I 321(1995), 81–86.
- Aicardi, F.: Topological invariants of Legendrian curves, C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris, I 321(1995), 199–204.
- Aicardi, F.: Partial indices and linking numbers for planar fronts, preprint, Trieste, 1994.
- Alvarez, J.C.:, Symplectic geometry of spaces of geodesics, PhD Thesis, Rutgers Univ., 1994.
- Bennequin, D.: Entrelacements et équations de Pfaff, Asterisque, 107–108(1983), 87–161.
- Chmutov, S. and Duzhin, S.: Explicit formulas for Arnold's generic curves invariants, Preprint, 1995.
- Chmutov, S. and Goryunov, V.V.:Kauffman bracket of plane curves,Max Planck Institut Preprint 95–104. (to appear in Comm. Math. Phys.)
- Berger, M., Gostiaux, B.: Differential Geometry: Manifolds, Curves, and Surfaces, GTM 115, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 1988.
- Fabricius-Bjerre, F.: On the double tangents of plane closed curves, Math. Scand. 11(1962), 113–116.
- Fabricius-Bjerre, F.: A relation between the numbers of singular points and singular lines of a plane closed curve, Math. Scand. 40(1977), 20–24.
- Goryunov, V. V.: Vassiliev invariants of knots in R3 and in a solid torus, Preprint 1–95, Univ. of Liverpool, 1995.
- Goryunov, V. V.: Vassiliev type invariants in Arnold's J+-theory of plane curves without direct self-tangencies, Preprint 2–95, Univ. of Liverpool, 1995.
- Gusein-Zade, S. M. and Natanzon, S.M.: The Arf-invariant and the Arnold invariants of plane curves, Preprint, 1995.
- Halpern, B.: Global theorems for closed plane curves, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 76(1970), 96–100.
- Lin, X.S. and Wang, Z.: Integral geometry of plane curves and knot invariants (to appear in J. Differential Geom.).
- Pignoni, R.: Integral relations for pointed curves in a real projective plane, Geom. Dedicata 45(1993), 263–287.
- Polyak,M.: Invariants of generic plane curves and fronts via Gauss diagrams,Max Planck Institut Preprint 116–94.
- Polyak, M.: On the Bennequin invariant of Legendrian curves and its quantization, C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris, I322(1995), 77–82.
- Shumakovich, A.: Formulas for the strangeness of plane curves, Algebra i Analiz 7(1995) no 3, 165–199.
- Tabachnikov, S.L.: Computation of the Bennequin invariant of a Legendre curve from the geometry of its front (Russian) Funct. An. Pri. 22, 3, (July-September 1988), 89–90. 27. Viro, O.: First degree invariants of plane curves on surfaces, Preprint, Uppsala University, 1994. 28. Weiner, J.: Spherical Fabricius-Bjerre formula with application to closed space curves, Math. Scand. 61(1987), 286–291. 29. Whitney, H.: On regular closed curves in the plane, Compositio Math. 4(1937), 276–284.
- On the Bennequin Invariant and the Geometry of Wave Fronts
Volume 65, Issue 2 , pp 219-245
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- contact geometry
- wave fronts
- Legendrian knots
- Vassiliev invarinats
- plane and spherical curves
- projective duality.
- Industry Sectors
- Emmanuel Ferrand (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre de Mathématiques, Ecole Polytechnique, U.R.A. 169 du C.N.R.S., 91128, Palaiseau Cedex, France