Philosophy of education in South Africa: A Re-vision"
- Philip HiggsAffiliated withDepartment of Educational Studies, University of South Africa
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this article an attempt is made to provide a re-vision of philosophy of education that will redress the legacy of the past in South Africa, and contribute to laying the foundations of a critical civil society with a culture of tolerance, public debate and accommodation of differences and competing interests. This re-vision of philosophy of education, which finds its roots in developments in philosophy in the twentieth century, and especially in the discourse of postmodernism, directs attention to a pluralistic problem-centred approach to philosophy of education.
- Philosophy of education in South Africa: A Re-vision"
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 1-16
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- South Africa
- philosophy of education
- Fundamental Pedagogics
- social rationality
- pluralistic problem-centred approach
- Philip Higgs (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Educational Studies, University of South Africa, PO Box 392, Pretoria, 0003, Republic of South Africa