Why only Nixon could go to China
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Right-wing politicians sometimes can implement policies that left-wing politicians cannot, and vice versa. Contemporary wisdom has it that “only Nixon could have gone to China”. We develop a model to explain this phenomenon. A policy issue could depend on information, on which every one could potentially agree on policy, or on values, on which agreement is impossible. Politicians, who value both reelection and policy outcomes, realize the nature of the issue, whereas voters do not. Only a right-wing president can credibly signal the desirability of a left-wing course of action. The Nixon paradox can hold then if citizens vote retrospectively on the issue.
- Aitken, J. (1993). Nixon: A life. Washington DC: Regnery Publishing.
- Alesina, A. and Cukierman, A. (1990). The Politics of Ambiguity. Quarterly Journal of Economics105: 829-850.
- Austen-Smith, D. and Banks, J. (1989). Electoral accountability and incumbency. In P. Ordeshook (Ed.), Models of strategic choice in politics. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Coate, S. and Morris, S. (1995). On the form of transfers to special interests. Journal of Political Economy103: 1210-1235.
- Cukierman, A. and Tommasi, M. (1995). When does it take a Nixon to go to China? Unpublished manuscript.
- Farrell, J. and Gibbons, R. (1989). Cheap talk with two audiences. American Economic Review79: 1214-1223.
- Harrington, J.E. (1992). The revelation of information through the electoral process: An explanatory analysis. Economics and Politics4: 255-275.
- Kuran, T. (1989). Sparks and prairie fires: A theory of unanticipated political revolution. Public Choice61: 41-74.
- Mitchell, D.W. (1987). Candidate behavior under mixed motives. Social Choice and Welfare4: 153-160.
- Reed, W.R. and Cho, J. (1996). A comparison of prospective and retrospective voting. Public Choice, forthcoming.
- Wittman, D. (1983). Candidate motivation: A synthesis of alternative theories. American Political Science Review77: 142-157.
- Why only Nixon could go to China
Volume 97, Issue 4 , pp 605-615
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors