Solid solutions between ettringite, Ca6Al2(SO4)3(OH)12·26H2O, and thaumasite, Ca3SiSO4CO3(OH)6·12H2O
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A series of solid solution phases between ettringite, Ca6Al2(SO4)3(OH)12·26H2O, and thaumasite, Ca3SiSO4CO3(OH)6·12H2O, have been prepared and analysed by X-ray powder diffraction and full pattern fitting. Solid solutions were shown to exist with both the ettringite structure (space group P31c) and the thaumasite structure (space group P63, c-axis halved). A possible discontinuity was identified, characterised by a gap in the a-dimension of the solid solution phases produced. This discontinuity is believed to correspond to a switch between the ettringite space group and the thaumasite space group. It is suggested that any discontinuity in the solid solution is caused by differences in the hydrogen bonding of the two structures.
- N. J. Crammond, Cem. Concr. Res. 15 (1985) 6, 1039.
- H. F. W. Taylor, “Cement Chemistry” (Thomas Telford Publishing, 1997).
- Report of the Thaumasite Expert Group, Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1999.
- J. Bensted, Cem. Concr. Comp. 21 (1999) 117.
- A. E. Moore and H. F. W. Taylor, Acta Cryst. B26 (1970) 386.
- L. J. Struble, in Proceedings of the 8th International Congress on The Chemistry of Cement, Rio., 1987, p. 582.
- R. A. Edge and H. F. W. Taylor, Acta Cryst. B27 (1971) 594.
- H. Kollmann, G. StrÑbel and F. Trost, Tonind-Zig. 101 (1977) 3, 63.
- J. I. Langford and D. LoÑer, Reports on Progress in Physics 59 (1996) 131.
- W. A. Gutteridge, Proceedings of the British Ceramic Society 35 (1984) 11.
- McD. Smith, personal communication, 1996.
- C. D. Adam, IUCr Powder Diffraction Symposium, Toulouse, France, 1990.
- ICDD Powder Diffraction File Cards 37-1476, 25-128, 1989.
- S. J. Barnett, PhD thesis, Staffordshire University, 1998.
- S. J. Barnett, C. D. Adam, A. R. W. Jackson and P. D. Hywel-Evans, Cem. Concr. Comp. 21 (1999) 123.
- R. C. Weast (ed.), in “CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics,” (61st ed.) (CRC Press Inc., Boca Raton, USA, 1980).
- M. M. Granger and J. Protas, Acta Cryst. B25 (1969) 1943.
- Solid solutions between ettringite, Ca6Al2(SO4)3(OH)12·26H2O, and thaumasite, Ca3SiSO4CO3(OH)6·12H2O
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 35, Issue 16 , pp 4109-4114
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors