Unusual dysprosium ceramic nano-fiber growth in a supercritical aqueous solution
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The formation of nano-size ceramic fibers having diameters as small as 20 nm is described. This material was obtained by a simple precipitation reaction from a supercritical aqueous dysprosium bromide solution at high temperatures (450°C). The nano-structures have unusually high structural stability for extended time periods in this extreme solvent environment. The experimental procedures are described and analysis of the materials by scanning and transition electron microscopy, and x-ray diffraction is presented. The new materials may have useful applications as high-strength, corrosion resistant materials or as stable catalyst supports for extreme conditions.
- D. W. Matson, J. L. Fulton, R. C. Petersen and R. D. Smith, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 26 (1987) 2298.
- D. M. Matson, R. C. Petersen and R. D. Smith, J. Mat. Sci. 22 (1987) 1919.
- D. W. Matson, J. C. Linehan and R. M. Bean, Mat. Lett. 14 (1992) 222.
- T. Adschiri, K. Kanazawa and K. Arai, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 75 (1992) 1019.
- J. G. Darab and D. W. Matson, J. Electronic Material, 27 (1998) 1068.
- D. W. Matson, J. G. Darab, T. D. Brewer and P. D. Kaviratna, Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 520 (1998) 287.
- J. G. Darab, Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 520 (1998) 161.
- W. J. Dawson, Ceramic Bulletin 67 (1988) 1673.
- X. Wang, Y. Wang and J. Zhihao, Xiyou Jinshu Cailiao Yo Gongcheng 24 (1995) 1.
- T. Oota, J. Saito and I. Yamai, J. Crystal Growth 46 (1979) 331.
- H. Izawa, S. Kikkawa and M. Koizumi, Funtai oyobi Funmatsu Yakin 33 (1986) 353.
- A. D. Fedoseev, T. A. Makarova, N. I. Nestercuk and D. P. Sipovskij, Kristall und Technik 3 (1968) 95.
- M. Yoshimura, H. Suda, K. Okamoto and K. Ioku, J. Mater. Sci. 29 (1994) 3399.
- A. De Kozak, M. SamouËl and A. Erb, Rev. Chim. Miner. 17 (1980) 440.
- S. Jagota and R. Raj, J. Crystal Growth 85 (1987) 527.
- P. M. Bridenbaugh, J. O. Eckert, G. Nykolak, G. Thomas, W. Wilson, L. M. Demianets, R. Riman and R. A. Laudise, J. Crystal Growth 144 (1994) 243.
- Unusual dysprosium ceramic nano-fiber growth in a supercritical aqueous solution
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 35, Issue 16 , pp 4177-4183
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Environmental and Health Sciences Division, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, PO Box 999 MS P8-19, Richland, Washington, 99352, USA
- 2. Environmental and Health Sciences Division, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, PO Box 999 MS P8-19, Richland, Washington, 99352, USA