PDLC based on unsaturated polyester resins: molecular, morphological and thermo-optical analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A thermosetting matrix based on an unsaturated polyester resin was employed to realise a Polymer Dispersed Liquid Crystal (PDLC) system by a UV induced curing process. A molecular, morphological and thermo-optical characterisation of this system is presented. The chemical and structural properties were investigated by transmission FT-IR spectra in the near infrared frequency range and by dynamic-mechanical analysis. The results indicated that, upon curing, the matrix retains its intrinsic properties even for compositions very rich in the LC component (40 wt %). The morphology, investigated by optical and electron microscopy, showed phase separation before and after the curing process. Image analysis demonstrated that the cured materials had morphological features suitable to achieve interesting thermo-optical properties. In particular, the composition containing 40 wt % of LC exhibited the typical behaviour of a thermo-optical switch. Interesting optical bistability effects were also demonstrated for this particular composition.
- IAM-CHOON Khoo and SHIN-TRON Wu, “Optics and Nonlinear Optics of Liquid Crystals,” Part 2 (Word Scientific Ed., 1993) ch. 2.
- R. A. Weiss and C. K. Ober, “ACS Symposium Series,” Vol. 435 (1990) Ch. 32, pp. 475-495.
- B. G. Wu, J. H. Erdmann and J. W. Doane, Liq. Cryst. 5, (1989) 1453.
- P. Drzaic, J. Appl. Phys. 60 (1986) 2142.
- N. A. Vaz, G. W. Smith and G. P. Montgomery Jr., Liq. Cryst. 146 (1987) 1.
- M. Mucha, J. Appl. Polym. Sc. 43 (1991) 175-182.
- L. Bouteiller and P. Le barny, Liq. Cryst. 21(2) (1996) 157-174.
- H. S. Kitzerow, ibid. 16(1) (1994) 1-31.
- Y. S. Yang and L. J. Lee, Macromolecules 20 (1987) 1490.
- Y. J. Huang and J. S. Leu, Polymer 34 (1993) 295.
- Y. S. Yang and L. J. Lee, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 36 (1998) 1325.
- E. Martuscelli, P. Musto, G. Ragosta and G. Scarinzi, Polymer 37 (1996) 4025.
- R. Dell'erba, M. Martuscelli, P. Musto, G. Ragosta and M. Leonardi, Polym. Networks Blends 7 (1997) 1.
- R. Yamaguchi and S. Sato, Liq. Cryst. 14(4) (1993) 929-935.
- S.-C. Peng, J.-W. Yu and S.-N. Lee, J. Polym. Sci. 35(9) (1997) 1373-1381.
- B. K. Kim and Y. S. Ok, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 49 (1993) 1769-1775.
- J. D. Margerum, A. M. Lackner, E. Ramos, K.-C. Lim and W. H. Smith, Liq. Cryst. 5(5) (1989) 1477-1487.
- L. Boutellier, P. Le barny and PH. Martinotlagarde, ibid. 17(5) (1994) 709-716.
- R. S. Lenk and J. C. Padget, Eur. Polym. J. 11 (1975) 327.
- D. Melot, B. Escaig, J. M. Lefebvre, R. P. Eustache and F. Laupetre, J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Phys. Edn. 32 (1994) 249.
- M. Gordon and J. S. Taylor, J. Appl. Chem. 2 (1952) 493.
- G. B. Al'tshuler, M. V. Inochkin and A. A. Manenkov, Sov. Phys. Dokl. 30(7) (1985) 574-575.
- U. Bernini, L.DESTEFANO, M. Feo, P. Mormile and P. Russo, Optics Communications 112 (1994) 169-174.
- R. W. Boyd, “Nonlinear Optics,” (Academic Press 1992) Ch. 6.
- PDLC based on unsaturated polyester resins: molecular, morphological and thermo-optical analysis
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 35, Issue 4 , pp 999-1008
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Research and Technology of Plastic Materials, National Research Council of Italy, Toiano 6, I-80072, Arco Felice (Naples), Italy
- 2. Institute of Cybernetics, National Research Council of Italy, Toiano 6, I-80072, Arco Felice (Naples), Italy
- 3. Institute of Research and Technology of Plastic Materials, National Research Council of Italy, Toiano 6, I-80072, Arco Felice (Naples), Italy