Carbon storage and root penetration in deep soils under small-farmer land-use systems in the Eastern Amazon region, Brazil
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The north-east of Pará state in the Eastern Amazon of Brazil was settled over 100 years ago. Today the region is an agricultural landscape with variously-aged secondary vegetation and fields with annual cultures, plantation crops and pastures. The effect of these different land covers on carbon sequestration as well as on water and nutrient extraction remain subject of debate. Therefore, we assessed the importance of land use on soil carbon stocks by measuring various C fractions and root biomass (0–6 m) in slash-and-burn systems and (semi-) permanent cultures. An extensive root system down to at least 6 m depth was present under various secondary vegetation stands and slashed and burned fields recently taken into cultivation as well as under a primary forest. Shallower rooting patterns were evident under (permanent) oil palm (4.5 m) and (semi-permanent) passion fruit plantations (2.5 m). Carbon storage in soils of traditional slash-and-burn agriculture up to 6 m depth (185 t ha-1) was not significantly lower than under a primary forest (196 t ha-1) but declined significantly under (semi-) permanent cultures (to 146–167 t ha-1). Compared to above-ground C losses, soil C losses due to slash-and-burn agriculture may thus be small. This is an argument for maintaining the secondary vegetation as part of the agricultural land-use system, as the root system of its trees is conserved and thus C is sequestered also at greater depth.
- Anderson J and Ingram J 5 1 1993 Tropical Soil Biology and Fertility. A Handbook of Methods. Second edition. CAB International, Wallingford, Oxon, UK. 221 p.
- Brown S and Lugo A 1990 Effects of forest clearing and succession on the carbon and nitrogen content of soils in Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands. Plant Soil 124, 53–64.
- Eswaran H E, Van der Berg E, Reich P and Kimble, J. 1995 Global soil carbon resources. In Eds Soil and Global Change. R Lal, J Kimble, E Levine and B A Steward. pp 27–43. CRC/Lewis, Boca Raton.
- Feamside P M, Leal N and Fernandes F M 1993 Rainforest burning and the global carbon budget: biomass, combustion efficiency, and charcoal formation in the Brazilian Amazon. J. Geophys. Res-Atinos 98, 16733–16743.
- Fisher M J, Rao I M, Ayaraza M A, Lascano C E, Sanz J I, Thomas R J and Vera R R 1994 Carbon storage by introduced deep-rooted grasses in the South American savannas. Nature 371, 236–238.
- Gehring C, Denich M, Kanashiro M and Vlek P L G 1999 Response of secondary vegetation in Eastern Amazonia to relaxed nutrient availability constraints. Biogeochemistry 45, 223–241.
- Greenland D J and Nye P H 1959 Increases in the carbon and nitrogen contents of tropical soils under natural fallows. J. Soil Sci. 10(2), 284–299.
- Hölscher D, Sá T D de A, Bastos T X, Denich M and Fölster H 1997 Evaporation from young secondary vegetation in Eastern Amazonia. J. Hydrology 193, 293–305.
- Jacobi I 1997 Der Beitrag von Keimlingen zur Regeneration der Brachevegation im östlichen Amazonasgebiet. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Hamburg. 147 p.
- Kato M S A, Kato O R, Denich M and Vlek P L G 1999 Firefree alternatives to slash-and-burn for shifting cultivation in the eastern Amazon region: the role of fertilizers. Field Crops Res. 62, 225–237.
- Lugo A E and Brown S 1993 Management of tropical soils as sinks or sources of atmospheric carbon. Plant Soil 149, 27–41.
- Moraes J L, Cerri C C, Melillo J M, Kicklighter D, Neill C, Skole D L and Steudler P A 1995 Soil carbon stocks of the Brazilian Amazon Basin. Soil Sci. Soc. Amer. J. 59, 244–247.
- Nepstad D C, Carvalho C R de, Davidson E A, Jipp P H, Lefebvre P A, Negrelos G H, Silva E D da, Stone T A, Trumbore S E and Vieira S 1994 The role of deep roots in the hydrological and carbon cycles of Amazonian forests and pastures. Nature 372, 666–669.
- Post W M, Emanuel W R, Zinke P J and Stangenberger A G 1982 Soil carbon pools and world life zones. Nature 298, 156–159.
- Rego R S, Silva B N R da and Junior R S O 1993 Detailed soil survey in an area in the municipality of Igarapé-açu. In Summaries of lectures and posters presented at the 1st SHIFT-Workshop in Bekin, March 8–13, 1993.
- Salomão R de P 1994 Estimativas de biomassa e avaliação do estoque de carbono da vegetação de florestas primárias e secundárias de diversas idades (Capociras) na Amazônia oriental, Municipio de Peixe-Boi, Pará. Master Thesis. Federal University of Belém, Pará.
- Sanford R L, Saldarriaga J, Clark K E, Uhl C and Herrera R 1985 Amazon rain-forest fires. Science 227, 53–55.
- Schlesinger W H 1977 Carbon balance in terrestrial detritus. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 8, 51–81.
- Schlesinger W H 1984 Soil organic matter: a source of atmospheric CO2. In The role of terrestrial vegetation in the global carbon cycle: Measurement by remote sensing. Ed. GM Woodwell. pp 111–127. John Wiley & Sons Chichester, U.K.
- Schuemer R, Ströhlein G and Gogolok J 1990 Datenverarbeitung und statistische Auswertung mit SAS. Vol. II: Komplexe statistische Analyseverfabren. Stuttgart, Gustav Fischer, 437 p.
- Sombroek W G, Nachtergaele F O and Hebel A 1993 Amounts, dynamics and sequestering of carbon in tropical and subtropical soils. Ambio 22, 417–426.
- Sommer R, Carvalho M E J, Vlek P L G and Fölster H 1998 Soil water extraction through secondary vegetation during the dry season in 1997 in Eastern Amazonia. In Proceedings of the Third SHIFT-Workshop Manaus, March 15-19, 1998, Eds R Lieberei, K Voßand and H Bianchi. pp 177–180.
- Thielen-Klinge A 1997 Rolle der biologischen N2-Fixierung von Baumleguininosen im östlichen Amazonasgebiet, Brasilien - Anwendung der 15N natural abundance Methode. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Göttingen. 202 p. Internet Publication: http://webdoc.sub.gwdg.de/diss/1997/thielenlinhalt.htm
- Trumbore S E 1993 Comparison of carbon dynamics in tropical and temperate soils using radiocarbon measurements. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 7, 275–290.
- Trumbore S E, Davidson E A, Camargo P B de, Nepstad D C and Martinelli L A 1995 Below-ground cycling of carbon in forests and pastures of Eastern Amazonia. Giobal Biogeochem. Cycles 9, 515–528.
- Watrin O 1994 Análise de dinâmica na paisagem agricola da Amazônia Oriental: Abordagem integrando técnicas de processamento digital de imagens e sistemas de informação geográfica. Master Thesis. National Institute of Land Survey (lNPE), Sao Jose dos Campos, São Paulo.
- Carbon storage and root penetration in deep soils under small-farmer land-use systems in the Eastern Amazon region, Brazil
Plant and Soil
Volume 219, Issue 1-2 , pp 231-241
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- carbon sequestration
- secondary vegetation
- soil organic carbon
- soil litter
- Industry Sectors