Irreducible decompositions of physical tensors of high orders
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we use the term 'physical tensor' to stand for a tensor that belongs to a tensor subspace. Based on the relationship among the characters of rotation representation, some techniques are developed in order to give the numbers of independent deviatoric tensors contained in the irreducible decompositions of physical tensors, even prior to the constructions of the irreducible decompositions. A number of examples are shown and many of them are new results.
- Q.-C., He and A. Curnier, A more fundamental approach to damaged elastic stress-strain relations. Int. J. Solids Struct. 31 (1995) 1433–1457.
- Q.-S. Zheng and K. C. Hwang, Reduced dependence of defect compliance on matrix and inclusion elastic properties in two-dimensional elasticity. Proc. R. Soc. London A452 (1996) 2493–2507.
- A. J. M. Spencer, A note on the decomposition of tensors into traceless symmetric tensors. Int. J. Engng Sci. 8 (1970) 475–481.
- K. C. Hannabuss, The irreducible components of homogeneous functions and symmetric tensors. J. Inst. Maths Applics 14 (1974) 83–88.
- J. Rychlewski, High Order Tensors in Mechanics and Physics. (Seminar report in Department of Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University) (1997).
- W.-N. Zou, Q.-S. Zheng, J. Rychlewski and D.-X. Du, Orthogonal Irreducible Decomposition of Tensors of High Orders. (1998) (submitted for publication).
- G. Backus, A geometrical picture of anisotropic elastic tensors. Rev. Geophys. Spacephys. 8 (1970) 633–671.
- S. C. Cowin, Properties of the anisotropic elasticity tensor. Q. J. Mech. Appl. Math. 42 (1989) 249–266.
- E. T. Onat, Representation of mechanical behaviour in the presence of internal damage. Engng Fract. Mech. 25 (1986) 605–614.
- D. Krajcinovic and S. Mastilovic, Some fundamental issues of damage mechanics. Mech. Mat. 21 (1995) 217–230.
- H. J. Jureschke, Crystal Physics: Macroscopic Physics of Anisotropic Solids. London: W. A. Benjamin, INC (1974) 220 pp.
- Q.-S. Zheng and A. J. M. Spencer, On the canonical representations for Kronecker powers of orthogonal tensors with application to material symmetry problems. Int. J. Engng Sci. 31 (1993) 617–635.
- F. D. Murnaghan, The Theory of Group Representations. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Univ. Press (1938) 319 pp..
- Q.-S., Zheng, Two-dimensional tensor function representations for all kinds of material symmetry. Proc. R. Soc. London A443 (1993) 127–138.
- Q.-S. Zheng, Theory of representations for tensor functions-A unified invariant approach to constitutive equations. Appl. Mech. Rev. 47 (1994) 545–587.
- A. O. Barut and R. Raczka, Theory of Group Representations and Applications. (2nd ed.) Warszawa: Polish Scientific Publishers 717 pp.
- T. Bröcker and T. tom Dieck, Representations of Compact Lie Groups. New York: Springer-Verlag (1985) 313 pp.
- Irreducible decompositions of physical tensors of high orders
Journal of Engineering Mathematics
Volume 37, Issue 1-3 , pp 273-288
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- irreducible decompositions
- deviatoric tensors
- high-order tensors
- Industry Sectors