Effect of strain rate on stepwise fatigue and creep slow crack growth in high density polyethylene
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effects of frequency and R-ratio (the ratio of minimum to maximum stress in the fatigue loading cycle) on the kinetics of step-wise crack propagation in fatigue and creep of high density polyethylene (HDPE) was characterized. Stepwise crack growth was observed over the entire range of frequency and R-ratio examined. A model relating crack growth rate to stress intensity factor parameters and applied strain rate was proposed by considering the total crack growth rate to consist of contributions from creep and fatigue loading components. The creep contribution in a fatigue test was calculated from the sinusoidal loading curve and the known dependence of creep crack growth on stress intensity factor in polyethylene. At a very low frequency of 0.01 Hz, fatigue crack growth rate was found to be completely controlled by creep processes. Comparison of the frequency and R-ratio tests revealed that the fatigue loading component depended on strain rate. Therefore, crack growth rate could be modeled with a creep contribution that depended only on the stress intensity factor parameters and a fatigue contribution that depended on strain rate.
- N. Brown and X. Lu, in Proceedings of the 12th Plastic Fuel Gas Pipe Symposium, Boston, MA, 1991, p. 128.
- Y. Zhou and N. Brown, Polym. Eng. Sci. 33 (1993) 1421.
- Y. Zhou, X. Lu and N. Brown, ibid. 31 (1991) 711.
- M. Parsons, E. V. Stepanov, A. Hiltner and E. Baer, J. Mater. Sci. 34 (1999) 3315.
- A. Shah, E. V. Stepanov, G. Capaccio, A. Hiltner and E. Baer, J. Polym. Sci: Part B: Polym. Phys. 36 (1998) 2355.
- A. Shah, E. V. Stepanov, M. Klein, A. Hiltner and E. Baer, J. Mat. Sci. 33 (1998) 3313.
- A. Shah, E. V. Stepanov, M. Klein, A. Hiltner and E. Baer, in 1997 Symposium on Plastic Piping Systems for Gas Distribution, Orlando, FL, 1997, p. 235.
- A. Shah, E. V. Stepanov, A. Hiltner, E. Baer and M. Klein, Int. J. Fracture 84 (1997) 159.
- A. Shah, E. V. Stepanov, A. Hiltner, E. Baer and A. Moet, in SPE Conference Proceedings/54th ANTEC'96, Indianapolis, IN, 1996, Vol. 3, p. 3289.
- X. Lu, R. Qian and N. Brown, J. Mater. Sci. 26 (1991) 917.
- K. Sehanobish, A. Moet, A. Chudnovsky and P. P. Petro, J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 4 (1985) 890.
- A. Lustiger, M. J. Cassady, F. S. Uralil and L. E. Hulbert, "Field Failure Reference Catalog for Polyethylene Gas Piping, 1st ed.," (Gas Research Institute, Chicago, 1986).
- N. Brown and X. Lu, Polymer 36 (1995) 543.
- X. Lu Idem., Int. J. Fracture 69 (1995) 371.
- P. A. O'Connell, M. J. Bonner, R. A. Duckett and I. M. Ward, Polymer 36 (1995) 2355.
- H. Nishimura and I. Narisawa, Polym. Eng. Sci. 31 (1991) 403.
- R. W. Hertzberg and J. A. Manson, "Fatigue of Engineering Plastics," (Academic Press, New York, 1980) p. 83.
- R. W. Hertzberg and J. A. Manson, J. Mater. Sci. 8 (1973) 1554.
- J. C. Radon, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 17 (1973) 3515.
- J. P. Elinck, J. C. Bauwens and G. Homes, Int. J. Fracture 7 (1971) 227.
- R. W. Hertzberg, J. A. Manson and W. C. Wu, ASTM STP 536 (1973) 391.
- N. E. Waters, J. Mater. Sci. 1 (1966) 354.
- H. G. Borduas, L. E. Culver and D. J. Burns, J. Strain Analysis 3 (1968) 193.
- N. H. Watts and D. J. Burns, Polym. Eng. Sci. 7 (1967) 90.
- S. Arad, J. C. Radon and L. E. Culver, J. Mech. Eng. Sci. 13(1971) 75.
- B. Mukherjee and D. J. Burns, Experimental Mechanics 11 (1971) 433.
- Y. Q. Zhou and N. Brown, J.Polym. Sci: Part B: Polym. Phys. 30 (1992) 477.
- J. A. Bowman, in "Buried Plastic Pipe Technology," edited by G. S. Buczala and M. J. Cassady (ASTM STP 1093: Philadelphia, 1990) p. 101.
- J. A. Manson and R. W. Hertzberg, CRC Crit. Rev. Macromol. Sci. 1 (1973) 433.
- R. W. Hertzberg, M. D. Skibo, J. A. Manson and J. K. Donald, J. Mater. Sci. 14 (1979) 1754.
- R. W. Hertzberg, J. A. Manson and M. D. Skibo, Polym. Eng. Sci. 15 (1975) 252.
- J. J. Strebel and A. Moet, J. Polym. Sci: Part B: Polym. Phys. 33 (1995) 1969.
- M. G. Wyzgoski, G. E. Novak and D. L. Simon, J. Mater. Sci. 25 (1990) 4501.
- D. S. Dugdale, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 8(1960) 100.
- J. R. Rice, in "Fracture", Vol 2," edited by H. Liebowitz (Academic Press, New York, 1968) p. 191.
- J. G. Williams and G. P. Marshall, Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 342 (1975) 55.
- N. Brown and I. M. Ward, J. Mater. Sci. 18 (1983) 1405.
- B. J. Egan and O. Delatycki, ibid. 30 (1995) 3307.
- K. Friedrich, Advances in Polymer Science 52/53 (1983) 225.
- Effect of strain rate on stepwise fatigue and creep slow crack growth in high density polyethylene
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 35, Issue 8 , pp 1857-1866
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors