Modulation of amino acid metabolism in transformed tobacco plants deficient in Fd-GOGAT
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) plants expressing a
partial ferredoxin-dependent glutamine-2-oxoglutarate aminotransferase (Fd-GOGAT) cDNA in the antisense orientation under the control of the 35S promoter, were used to study the metabolism of amino acids, 2-oxoglutarate and ammonium following the transition from CO2 enrichment (where photorespiration is inhibited) to air (where photorespiration is a major process of ammonium production in leaves). The leaves of the lowest Fd-GOGAT expressors accumulated more foliar glutamine (Gln) and α-ketoglutarate (α-KG) than the untransformed controls in both growth conditions. Photorespiration-dependent increases in foliar ammonium, glutamine, α-KG and total amino acids were proportional to the decreases in foliar Fd-GOGAT activity. No change in endoprotease activity was observed following transfer to air in the Fd-GOGAT transformants or the untransformed controls which has similar activities over a broad range of pH values. We conclude that several pathways of amino acid biosynthesis are modified when NH3 + and Gln accumulate in leaves.
- Arnon D I 1949 Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris L. Plant Physiol. 24, 1–15.
- Bergmeyer H U 1965 Citrate, malate, ?-ketoglutarate. In Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, Ed. H U Bergmeyer. Weinheim, Germany: Verlag Chemie. pp 318–334. New York and London. Academic Press.
- Betsche T 1983 Aminotransfer from alanine and glutamate to glycine and serine during photorespiration in oat leaves. Plant Physiol. 71, 961–965.
- Blackwell R D, Murray A J S and Lea P J 1987 Inhibition of photosynthesis in barley with decreased levels of chloroplastic glutamine synthetase activity. J. Exp. Bot. 38, 1799–1809.
- Blackwell R D, Murray A J S, Lea P J and Joy K W 1988 Photorespiratory amino donors, sucrose synthesis and the induction of CO2 fixation in barley deficient in glutamine synthetase and/or glutamate synthase. Plant Mol. Biol. 30, 307–320.
- Coïc Y and Lesaint C 1975 La nutrition minérale et en eau des plantes en horticulture avancée. Document technique de SCPA, 23, 1–22.
- Dixon RA, and Palva NL 1995 Stress-induced phenylpropanoid metabolism. Plant Cell 7, 1085–1097. CrossRef
- Ferrario-Méry S, Thibaud M-C, Betsche T, Valadier M-H and Foyer C H 1997 Modulation of carbon and nitrogen metabolism, and of nitrate reductase, in untransformed and transformed Nicotiana plumbaginifolia during CO2 enrichment of plants grown in pots and in hydroponic culture. Planta 202, 510–521. CrossRef
- Galili G 1995 Regulation of lysine and threonine biosynthesis. Plant Cell 7, 899–906. CrossRef
- Guyer D, Patton D and Ward E 1995 Evidence for cross-pathway regulation of metabolic gene expression in plants. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92, 4997–5000. CrossRef
- Häusler R E, Blackwell R D, Lea P J and Leegood R C 1994 Control of photosynthesis in barley mutants with reduced activities of glutamine synthetase and glutamate synthase. I. Plant characteristics and changes in nitrate, ammonium and amino acids. Planta 194, 406–417.
- Häusler R E, Bailey K J, Lea P J and Leegood R C 1996 Control of photosynthesis in barley mutants with reduced activities of glutamine synthetase and glutamate synthase. III. Aspects of glyoxylate metabolism and effects of glyoxylate on the activation state of ribulose-1,5-bisphophate carboxylase-oxygenase. Planta 200, 388–396. CrossRef
- Hirel B, Phillipson B, Murchie E, Suzuki A, Kunz C, Ferrario S, Limami A, Chaillou S, Deleens E, Brugière N, Chaumont-Bonnet M, Foyer C and Morot-Gaudry JF 1997 Manipulating the pathway of ammonia assimilation in transgenic non-legumes and legumes. Z. Pflanzenernähr. Bodenkd. 160, 283–290.
- Horsch R B, Fry J E, Hoffmann N L, Eichhoitz D, Rogers S G and Frey R T 1985 A simple and general method for transferring genes into plants. Science 227, 1229–1231.
- Jefferson R A, Kavanagh T A and Bevan MW 1987 GUS fusions: ?-glucuronidase as asensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO J. 6, 3901–3907.
- Joy K W 1988 Ammonia, glutamine and asparagine; a carbon– nitrogen interface. Can. J. Bot. 66, 2103–2109.
- Joy K W, Blackwell R D and Lea P J 1992 Assimilation of nitrogen in mutants lacking enzymes of glutamate synthase cycle. J. Exp. Bot. 43, 139–145.
- Kendall A C, Wallsgrove RM, Hall N P, Turner J C and Lea P J 1986 Carbon and nitrogen metabolism in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) mutants lacking ferredoxin-dependent glutamate synthase. Planta 168, 316–323. CrossRef
- Lam H M, Peng S S Y and Coruzzi G M 1994 Metabolic regulation of the gene encoding glutamine-dependent asparagine synthetase in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiol. 106, 1347–1357. CrossRef
- Lea P J and Miflin B J 1974 An alternative route for nitrogen assimilation in higher plants. Nature 251, 614–616. CrossRef
- Miflin B J 1980 Histidine biosynthesis. In The Biochemistry of Plants. Ed. B J Miflin. Vol. 5, pp 533–539. Amino acids and derivatives. Academic Press, New York.
- Miflin B J and Lea P J 1980 Ammonia assimilation. In The Biochemistry of Plants. Ed. B J Miflin. Vol. 5, pp 169–202. Academic Press, New York.
- Morcuende R, Krapp A, Vaughan H and Stitt M 1998 Sucrose feedings leads to increased rates of nitrate assimilation, increased rates of ?-ketogluatrate synthesis of a wide spectrum of amino acids in tobacco leaves. Planta 206, 394–409. CrossRef
- Morris P F, Layzell D B, Canvin D T 1989 Photorespiratory ammonia does not inhibit photosynthesis in glutamate mutants of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 89 498–500. CrossRef
- Rosen H 1957 A modified ninhidrin colorimetric analysis for amino acids. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 67, 10–15. CrossRef
- Rochat C and Boutin J-P 1989 Carbohydrates and nitrogenous compounds changes in the hull and in the seed during the pod development of pea. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 202, 510–521.
- Scheible W R, Gonzalez-Fontes A, Lauerer M, Müller-Röber B, Caboche Mand Stitt M 1997 Nitrate acts as a signal to induce organic acid metabolism and repress starch metabolism in tobacco. Plant Cell 9, 783–798. CrossRef
- Singh B K and Shaner D L 1995 Biosynthesis of branched chain amino acids: from test tube to field. Plant Cell 7, 935–944. CrossRef
- Somerville C R and Ogren W L 1980 Inhibition of photosynthesis in Arabidopsis mutans lacking leaf glutamate synthase activity. Nature 286, 257–259. CrossRef
- Suzuki A and Rothstein S 1997 Structure and regulation of ferredoxine-dependent glutamate synthase from Arabidopsis thaliana–Cloning of cDNA, expression in different tissues of wild-type and gltS mutant strains, and light induction. Eur. J. Biochem. 243, 708–718. CrossRef
- Szamosi I, Shaner D L and Singh B K 1993 Identification and characterization of a biodegradative form of threonine dehydratase in senescing tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) leaf. Plant Physiol. 101, 999–1004.
- Ta T C, Joy K W, Ireland R J. 1985 Role of asparagine in the photorespiratory nitrogen metabolism of pea leaves. Plant Physiol. 78, 334–337.
- Temple S J, Vance CP and Gantt JS 1998 Glutamate synthase and nitrogen assimilation. Trends Plant Science 3, 51–56. CrossRef
- Thompson J F 1980 Arginine synthesis, proline synthesis, and related process. In The Biochemistry of Plants. Ed. B J Miflin. Vol. 5, pp 375–402. Academic Press, New York.
- Wallsgrove R M, Turner J C, Hall N P, Kendall A C and Bright S W J 1987 Barley mutants lacking chloroplast glutamine synthetase – Biochemical and genetic analysis. Plant Physiol. 83, 155–158.
- Zhao J, Williams CC and Last RL 1998 Induction of Arabidopsis tryptophan pathway enzymes and camalexin by amino acid starvation, oxidative stress, and an abiotic elicitor. Plant Cell 10, 359–370. CrossRef
- Zhu-Shimoni J X and Galili G 1998 Expression of an Arabidopsis aspartate kinase/homoserine dehydratase gene is metabolically regulated by photosynthesis-releated signals but not by nitrogenous compounds. Plant Physiol. 116, 1023–1028. CrossRef
- Modulation of amino acid metabolism in transformed tobacco plants deficient in Fd-GOGAT
Plant and Soil
Volume 221, Issue 1 , pp 67-79
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- amino acid
- ammonium assimilation
- glutamate synthase
- Nicotiana tabacum
- transgenic plant
- Industry Sectors