What Makes You Happy?: A Comparison of Self-reported Criteria of Happiness Between Two Cultures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Based on the cross-cultural psychosocial notion of individualism and collectivism, comparisons between two contrasting cultures with regard to the criteria for avowed happiness were made. The Happiness Questionnaire, which contains four open-ended questions (e.g., “What makes you happy?”), and two objective items assessing the level of perceived happiness were administered to Canadian and Korean students. The responses to the four questions were content-analyzed along 14 categories. Comparisons of the proportions in each of the 14 categories revealed that, although the students from the two cultures differed in their absolute level of perceived happiness, they seemed to employ essentially the same ordered set of criteria in expressing their avowed happiness.
- Balatsky, G. and E. Diener: 1993, ‘A comparison of the well-being of Soviet and American students’, Social Indicators Research 28, pp. 225–243.
- Campbell, A.: 1976, ‘Subjectivemeasures of well-being’, American Psychologist 31, pp. 117–124.
- Diener, E.: 1984, ‘Subjective well-being’, Psychological Bulletin 95, pp. 542–575.
- Diener, E. and M. Diener: 1995, ‘Cross-cultural correlates of life satisfaction and self-esteem’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 68, pp. 653–663.
- Diener, E. and F. Fujita: 1995, ‘Resources, personal strivings, and subjective wellbeing: A nomothetic and ideographic approach’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 68, pp. 926–935.
- Diener, E., E. M. Suh, H. Smith and L. Shao: 1995 ‘National difference in reported subjective well-being: Why do they occur?’, Social Indicators Research 34, pp. 7–32.
- Fordyce, M. W.: 1988, ‘A review of research on the happiness measures: A sixty second index of happiness and mental health’, Social Indicators Research 20, pp. 355–381.
- Frisch, M. B., J. Cornell, M. Villanueva and P. Retzlaff: 1992, ‘Clinical validation of the Quality of Life Inventory: A measure of life satisfaction for use in treatment planning and outcome assessment’, Psychological Assessment 4, pp. 92–101.
- Hui, C. H. and C. H. Triandis: 1986, ‘Individualism – collectivism: A study of cross-cultural researchers’, Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 17, pp. 225–248.
- Kammann, R. and R. Flett.: 1983, ‘Affectometer 2: A scale to measure current level of general happiness’, Australian Journal of Psychology 35, pp. 257–265.
- Michalos, A. C.: 1991, Global Report on Student Well-Being (Springer-Verlag, New York).
- Myers, D. G.: 1992, Pursuit of Happiness (William Morrow, New York).
- Ouweneel, P. and R. Veenhoven: 1991. ‘Cross-national differences in happiness: Cultural bias or societal quality? in N. Bleichrodt and P. J. D. Drenth (eds.), Contemporary Issues in Cross-Cultural Psychology (Swets and Zeitlinger, Amsterdam), pp. 168–184.
- Pavot, W. and E. Diener: 1993, ‘Review of the satisfaction with life scale’, Psychological Assessment 5, pp. 164–172.
- Shin, D. C. and D. M. Johnson: 1978, ‘Avowed happiness as an overall assessment of the quality of life’, Social Indicators Research 5, pp. 475–492.
- Siegel, S. and N. J. Castellan, Jr.: 1988, Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (McGraw-Hill, New York).
- Triandis, H. C.: 1989a, ‘Cross-cultural studies of individualism and collectivism’, in J. J. Berman (ed.), Nebraska Symposium on Motivation 37 (University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln), pp. 41–133.
- Triandis, H. C.: 1989b, ‘The self and social behavior in differing cultural contexts’, Psychological Review 96, pp. 506–520.
- Triandis, H. C., R. Bontempo, M. J. Villareal, M. Asai and N. Lucca: 1988, ‘Indivisualism and collectivism: Cross-cultural perspectives on self-ingroup relationships’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 54, pp. 323–338.
- Triandis, H. C., R. Brislin and H. Hui: 1988, ‘Cross-cultural training across the individualism-collectivism divide’, International Journal of Intercultural Relations 12, pp. 269–289.
- Veenhoven, R.: 1984, Conditions of Happiness (Kluwer Boston Academic Publishers, Hingham).
- What Makes You Happy?: A Comparison of Self-reported Criteria of Happiness Between Two Cultures
Social Indicators Research
Volume 50, Issue 3 , pp 351-362
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Cananda
- 2. National College of Education, Chung-joo, Korea
- 3. University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- 4. University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada