Effects of silicon on enzyme activity and sodium, potassium and calcium concentration in barley under salt stress
- Yongchao Liang
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Two contrasting barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) cultivars: Kepin No.7 (salt sensitive), and Jian 4 (salt tolerant) were grown in a hydroponics system containing 120 mol m-3 NaCl only and 120 mol m-3 NaCl with 1.0 mol m-3 Si (as potassium silicate). Compared with the plants treated with salt alone, superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity in plant leaves and H+-ATPase activity in plant roots increased, and malondialdehyde (MDA) concentration in plant leaves decreased significantly for both cultivars when treated with salt and Si. The addition of Si was also found to reduce sodium but increase potassium concentrations in shoots and roots of salt-stressed barley. Sodium uptake and transport into shoots from roots was greatly inhibited by added Si under salt stress conditions. However, Si addition exhibited little effect on calcium concentrations in shoots of salt-stressed barley. Thus, Si-enhanced salt tolerance is attributed to selective uptake and transport of potassium and sodium by plants. The results of the present study suggest that Si is involved in the metabolic or physiological changes in plants.
- Ahmad R, Zaheer S and Ismail S 1992Role of silicon in salt tolerance of wheat (Tritium aestivum L. ). Plant Sci. 85, 43–50. CrossRef
- Bradbury M and Ahmad R 1990The effect of silicon on the growth of Prosopis juliflora growing in saline soil. Plant and Soil 125, 71–74.
- Cherif M, Asselin A and Belanger R R 1994Defense responses induced by soluble silicon in cucumber roots infected by Pythium spp. Phytopathology 84, 236–242.
- Epstein E 1994The anomaly of silicon in plant biology. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91, 11–17. CrossRef
- Fadzilla N M, Finch R P and Burdon R H 1997Salinity, oxidative stress and antioxidant responses in shoot cultures of rice. J. Exp. Bot. 48, 325–331.
- Forster B P, Pakniyat H, Macaulay M, Matheson W, Phillips M S, Thomas W T B and Powell W 1994Variation in the leaf sodium content of the Hordeum vulgare (barley) cultivar Maythorpe and its derived mutant cv. Golden Promise. Heredity 73, 249–253.
- Fridovich I 1986Biological effects of the superoxide radical. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 247, 1–11. CrossRef
- Galvez L and Clark R B 1991Effects of silicon on growth and mineral composition of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor) grown with toxic levels of aluminium. In Plant-soil interactions at low pH. Eds. R J Wright et al. pp 815–823. Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Giannopolitis C N and Ries S K 1977Superoxide dismutase In higher plants. Plant Physiol. 59, 309–314.
- Gorham J, Bristol A, Young E M, Wyn Jones R G and Kashour G 1990Salt tolerance in the Triticeae: K/Na discrimination in barley. J. Exp. Bot. 41, 1095–1101.
- Gorham J, Budrewicz E and Wyn Jones R G 1985Salt tolerance in the Triticeae: growth and solute accumulation in leaves of Thinopyrum bessarabicum. J. Exp. Bot. 36, 1021–1031.
- Greenway H 1962Plant responses to saline substrates. I. Growth and ion uptake of several varieties of Hordeum during and after sodium chloride treatment. Austral. J. Biol. Sci. 15, 16–38.
- Greenway H and Munns R 1980Mechanisms of salt tolerance in non-halophytes. Ann. Rev. Pl. Physiol. 31, 149–90. CrossRef
- Heath R L and Packer L 1968Photoperoxidation in isolated chloroplast I. Kinetics and stoichemistry of fatty acid peroxidation. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 125, 189–98. CrossRef
- Hernandez J A, Corpass F J, Gomez M, del Rio L A and Sevilla F 1993Salt-induced oxidative stress mediated by active oxygen species in pen leaf mitochondria. Physiologia Plantarum 89, 103–10. CrossRef
- Kasamo K 1986Comparison of plasma membrane and tonoplast HC-translocating adenosine triphosphatase of Phaseolus mungo L. roots. Plant Physiol. 80, 818–824.
- Kasamo K 1988Inhibition of tonoplast and plasma membrane HCATPase activity in rice (Oryza sativa L.) culture cells by local anesthetics. Plant Cell Physiol. 29, 215–221.
- Leigh R A and Wyn Jones R G 1986Celluar compartmentation in plant nutrition: the cytoplasm and the promiscuous vacuole. In Advances in plant nutrition, vol. 2. Eds. P B Tinker and A Lauchi. pp 249–279. Praeger, New York.
- Lewin J and Reimann B E F 1969Silicon and plant growth. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. 20, 289–304. CrossRef
- Liang YC, Ma T S, Li F J and Feng Y J 1994Silicon availability and response of rice and wheat to silicon in calcareous soils. Commu. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 25, 2285–2297. CrossRef
- Liang Y C, Shen Q R, Shen Z G and Ma T S 1996Effects of silicon on salinity tolerance of two barley cultivars. J. Plant Nutr. 19, 173–183.
- Liang Y C 1998Effects of Si on leaf ultrastructure, chlorophyll content and photosynthetic activity in barley under salt stress. Pedosphere 8, 289–296.
- Lutts S, Kinet J M and Bouharmont J 1996NaCl-induced senescence in leaves of rice (Oryza sativa L.) cultivars differing in salinity resistance. Annals of Botany 78, 389–98. CrossRef
- Ma J F and Takahashi E 1993Interaction between calcium and silicon in water-cultured rice plants. Plant Soil 148, 107–113. CrossRef
- Matoh T, Kairusmee P and Takahashi E 1986Salt-induced damage to rice plants and alleviation effect of silicate. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 32, 295–304.
- Marschner H 1995Part I. Nutritional physiology. In Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants. Ed. H Marschner. pp 18–30, 313–63. Academic Press Limited, London. Second edition.
- Munns R, Fisher D B and Tonnet M L 1986NaCand Cl_ transport in the phloem from leaves of NaCl-treated barley. Austral. J. Plant Physiol. 13, 757–766. CrossRef
- Okuda A and Takahashi E 1965The role of silicon. In The Mineral Nutrition of the Rice Plant. pp 123–146. Proc. Symposium of the International Rice Research Institute. Johns Hopkins Press. Baltimore, MD.
- Rabinowitch H D and Fridovich I 1983Superoxide radical, superoxide dismutase and oxygen toxicity in plants. Photochem. Photobiol. 188, 206–213.
- Singha S and Choudhuri M A 1990Effect of salinity (NaCl) stress on H2O2 metabolism in Vigna and Oryza seedlings. Biochem. Physiol. Pflanz. 186, 69–74.
- Effects of silicon on enzyme activity and sodium, potassium and calcium concentration in barley under salt stress
Plant and Soil
Volume 209, Issue 2 , pp 217-224
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- superoxide dismutase
- Industry Sectors
- Yongchao Liang (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Plant Nutrition, College of Natural Resources and Environmental Science, and MOA Key Laboratory of Crop Growth Regulation, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, 210095, P.R. China