Synthesis and properties of Mn-Zn ferrite ferrofluids
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A Mn-Zn ferrite ferrofluid is produced by chemical synthesis. Two different types of ferrofluids, according to the type of carrier liquid, are synthesized: an aqueous cationic ferrofluid and a surfacted hydrocarbon-based one. Ferrite particles are characterized by using several techniques: X-ray diffraction, transmission electronic microscopy, IR-spectroscopy, thermogravimetry, magnetization measurements and chemical analysis. Particles size depends on the synthesis parameters and can be partly controlled by choosing the type of the coprecipitating base. Increasing of the Zn concentration leads to smaller size of synthesized particles, as well as effects the content of associated water. Magnetization of the ferrofluid significantly decreases when the degree of Zn substitution exceeds 0.5.
- T. Fujita, M. Mamiya and B. Jevadevan, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 85 (1990) 203.
- K. Nakatsuka, Y. Hama and J. Takahashi, ibid. 85 (1990) 207.
- R. Massart, IEEE Trans. Magn. Mag. 17 (1981) 1247.
- A. Guinier, "Radiocristallographie" (Dunod, Paris, 1964) p. 464.
- F. A. Tourinho, R. Franck and R. Massart, J. Mater. Sci. 25 (1990) 3249.
- V. P. Chalyi and E. B. Novosadova, Neorganicheskie Materiali. 9 (1973) 2190 (in Russian).
- S. Komarneni, E. Fregeau, E. Breval and R. Roy, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 71(1) (1988) C26.
- E. Blums, M. Maiorov and G. Kronkalns, IEEE Trans. Magn. 29 (1993) Pt1, 3267.
- G. M. Sutariya, R. V. Upadhyay and R. V. Mehta, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 155 (1993) 152.
- O. I. Ivanova and A. O. Kuzubov, Magn. Gidrodin. (1994) N1 47 (in Russian).
- H. Remy, "Lehrbuch der Anorganischen Chemie, band I" (Leipzig, 1960) p. 467 (in German).
- M. Ueda, SH. Shimada and M. Inagaki, J. Mater. Chem. 3 (1991) 1199.
- V. P. Chalyi "Hydroxides of Metals" (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1972) pp. 101, 133 (in Russian).
- M. Andres-Verges, C. De Julian, J. M. Gonsalez and C. J. Serna, J. Mater. Sci. 28 (1993) 2962.
- C. Rocchicciolo-Deltcheff, R. Franck, V. Cabuil and R. Massart, J. Chem. Res. (S) (1987) 126.
- Synthesis and properties of Mn-Zn ferrite ferrofluids
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 34, Issue 6 , pp 1253-1260
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors