Deformation characteristics of metal foams
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The deformation behaviour of a series of aluminium and zinc foams was investigated by uniaxial testing. Because the deformation behaviour of metal foams is expected to be anisotropic owing to the existence of a closed outer skin and with respect to the foaming direction, a series of measurements was carried out where the orientation of the outer skin and the foaming direction were varied. Stress–strain diagrams and corresponding compression strengths were determined for aluminium- and zinc-based foams. The influence of an age-hardening heat treatment was investigated. Finally, the axial deformation behaviour of aluminium tubes filled with aluminium foam was tested under uniaxial loading conditions. The results of the measurements are discussed in the context of possible applications of metal foams as energy absorbers. © 1998 Chapman & Hall
- J. Banhart (ed.), in Proceedings of the Conference on Metal Foams, Bremen, 6–7 March 1997 (MIT Publications, Bremen, 1997) (mostly in German).
- W. W. Ruch and B. Kirkevag, PCT/WO Patent 91/01387 (1991).
- I. Jin, L. D. Kenny and H. Sang, US Patent 4 973 358 (1990).
- J. Baumeister, DE Patent 40 18 360 (1991).
- Idem., US Patent 5 151 246 (1992).
- J. Baumeister and H. Schrader, DE Patent 41 01 630 (1992).
- J. Baumeister, J. Banhart and M. Weber, DE Patent 43 25 538 (1996).
- J. Banhart, J. Baumeister and M. Weber, in Proceedings of the European Conference on Advanced PM Materials, Birmingham, UK, 23–25 October 1995 (European Powder Metallurgy Association, Shrewsburg, 1995) p. 201.
- L. J. Gibson and M. F. Ashby, Cellular solids (Pergamon, Oxford, 1988).
- P. H. Thornton and C. L. Magee, Metall. Trans. A 6 (1975) 1253.
- C. L. Magee, Metall. Trans. A Idem., Ibid., 6 (1975) 1801.
- M. Weber, J. Baumeister and J. Banhart, in Proceedings of the Powder Metallurgy World Congress, Paris, 1994, (Les Editions de Physique, Les Ulis, 1994) p. 585.
- J. Banhart, J. Baumeister and M. Weber, VDI-Ber. 1021 (1993) 277.
- Idem., Mater. Sci. Engng A205 (1996) 221.
- Deformation characteristics of metal foams
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 33, Issue 6 , pp 1431-1440
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors