Additional studies of the nodulation status of legume species in Brazil
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A survey of nodulation was carried out in seven regions of Brazil and the nodulation status of 131 legume species is reported. Nodulation is reported for the first time in 46 species and six genera, representing 35% of the examined species. Two of the genera were non-nodulating: Martiodendron and Nissolia, and four nodulating: Riedeliella, Bergeronia, Goldmania. Moreover the last tribe of Mimosoideae yet to be examined for nodulation Mimoziganthus, was shown to be nodulated. The nodulation pattern is discussed in the light of the taxonomy of the family.
- Aguilar N O, Pitargue F C and Cajano M O 1994 Nodulation of legumes in Philippines. In Advances in Legume Systematics. 5. The Nitrogen Factor. Eds. J I Sprent and D Mckey. pp 25–31. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
- Allen O N and Allen E K 1981 The Leguminosae. A Source Book of Characteristics, Uses and Nodulation. University of Wisconsin Press, Wisconsin. 812 p.
- Bradley R S, Oliveira L A, de Podesta J A F and John St 1980 Nodulation of legumes, nitrogenase activity of roots and occurrence of nitrogen fixing spp. in representative soils of Central Amazonia. Agro-Ecosyst. 6, 249–266.
- Burkart A 1952 Las Leguminosas Argentinas Silvestres y Cultivadas. Academia Agency Sociedade de Resposabilidade Ltda. Sui Pacha 58 Bueno Aires. 569 p.
- Dakora F D and Keya S O 1997 Nitrogen fixation in sustainable agriculture: The African experience. Soil Biol. Biochem. 29(5/6), 809–818.
- Faria S M de, Franco A A, Jesus R M de, Menandro M S de, Baitello J B, Mucci E S F, Dobereiner J and Sprent J I 1984 New nodulating legume trees from South-East Brazil. New Phytol. 98, 317–328.
- Faria S M de, Lima H C, Franco A A, Mucci E S F and Sprent J I 1987 Nodulation of legume trees from South-East Brazil. Plant Soil 99, 347–356.
- Faria S M de, Lewis G P, Sprent J I and Sutherland J M 1989 Occurrence of nodulation in the Leguminosae. New Phytol. 111, 607–619.
- Faria S M de, Lima H C de, Carvalho A M, Goncalves V F and Sprent J I 1994 Occurrence of nodulation in legume species from Bahia, Minas Gerais and Espirito Santo States of Brazil. In Advances in Legume Systematics. 5. The Nitrogen Factor. Eds. J I Sprent and D Mckey. pp 17–23. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
- Faria S M 1995 Occurrence and rhizobial selection for legume trees adapted to acid soils. In Nitrogen Fixing Trees for Acid Soils. Eds D O Evans and L T Szott. pp 295–300.
- Franco A A and Faria S M de 1997 The contribution of nitrogen fixing tree legumes to land reclamation and sustainability in the tropics. Soil Biol. Biochem. 29(5/6) 897–904.
- Giller K E, Anyango B, Beynon J L and Wilson K L 1994 The origin and diversity of rhizobia nodulating Phaseolus vulgaris L. in African soils. In Advances in Legume Systematics. 5. The Nitrogen Factor. Eds. J I Sprent and D Mckey. pp 57–62. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
- Kass, D C L, Sylvester-Bradley and Nygren P 1997 The role of nitrogen fixation in some agroforestry systems of the Americas. Soil Biol. Biochem. 29(5/6), 775–788.
- Lewis G P and Elias T S 1981 Mimoseae. In Advances in Legume Systematics. Part 1. Ed R M Polhill and P H Raven. pp 155–168. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
- Lewis G P and Lima M P M de 1991 Pseudopiptadenia Rauschert no Brasil (Leguminosae-Mimosoideae) Arq. do Jardim Bot. do Rio de Janeiro 30, 43–67.
- Moreira F M de S, Silva M F da and Faria S M de 1992 Occurrence of nodulation in legume species in the Amazon region of Brazil. New Phytol. 121, 563–570.
- Norris D O 1969 Observations on the nodulation status of rainforest leguminous species in Amazon and Guyana. Trop. Agric. 46, 145–151.
- Polhill R M and Raven P H 1981 Advances in Legume Systematics Part 1. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 425 p.
- Vassal J 1972 Apport des Recherchies ontogêniques et Seminologiques Lêtude Morphologiques Taxonomique et Phylogênique du Genre Acacia. Bull. Soc. Hist. Nat. Toulouse 108, 125–247.
- Vassal J 1981 Acacieae Advances in Legume Systematics. Part 1. Eds. R M Polhill and P H Raven. pp 169–172. Royal Botanic Gardens Kew.
- Vincent J M 1970 A Manual for Practical Study of Root-nodule Bacteria. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford. 164 p.
- Additional studies of the nodulation status of legume species in Brazil
Plant and Soil
Volume 200, Issue 2 , pp 185-192
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors