Control of the leakage current in SrTiO3 films by acceptor doping
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Stoichiometric SrTiO3 (STO) films doped with Fe or Cr were prepared by r.f. magnetron sputtering technique. The effects of Fe or Cr doping in the SrTiO3 films were studied on the leakage current property which was discussed by defect chemistry. The experimental results can be explained by a model in which oxygen vacancies are the key defects responsible for the leakage current. Acceptor doping, with a small concentration of Fe or Cr, has led to a substantial improvement to 10−9 order in the leakage current density. Above the concentration of 0.01∼0.02 mol% Fe2O3, Cr2O3, however, as the concentration increased, the leakage current increased. These acceptors in Ti4+ site are expected to electrically compensate for donor species such as oxygen vacancies, thereby reducing the concentration of mobile carriers that contribute to electrical conduction. Consequently, acceptor doped STO films have been shown to be superior to undoped films for applications requiring high leakage resistance, such as dynamic random access memory capacitors. © 1998 Chapman & Hall
- D. Roy and S. B. Krupanidhi, Appl. Phys. Lett. 62 (1993) 1056.
- R. Moazzami, C. Hu and W. H. Shepherd, IEEE Trans. Electr. Devices 39 (1992) 2044.
- T. Kuroiwa, T. Honda, H. Watarai and K. Sato, Jpn J. Appl. Phys. 31 (1992) 3025.
- H. Y. Lee, K. C. Lee, J. N. Schunke and L. C. Burton, IEEE Trans. Comp. Hybrids Manuf. Technol. CHMT-7 (1984) 443.
- C. Sudhama, A. C. Campbell, P. D. Maniar, R. E. Jones, R. Moazzami and C. J. Mogab, J. Appl. Phys. 75 (1994) 1014.
- R. Waser, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 74 (1991) 1934.
- I. Burn, S. M. Neirman, N. E. Cipollini, J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 4 (1985) 1152.
- Z. Ji-pin, Z. Mei-yu and W. Hong, Ceram. Int. 16 (1990) 85.
- D. Dimos, R. W. Schwartz and S. J. Lockwood, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 77 (1994) 3000.
- D. K. Liang, ibid. 76 (1993) 2023.
- T. Hirano, M. Taga, and T. Kobayashi, Jpn J. Appl. Phys. 32 (1993) L1760.
- YUHUAN Xu, in “Ferroelectric materials and their application”, (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1991).
- G. E. Dieter, in “Mechanical metallurgy”, 3rd edition (McGraw-Hill, 1986) p. 203.
- Control of the leakage current in SrTiO3 films by acceptor doping
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 33, Issue 5 , pp 1239-1242
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Materials Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul, 133-791, South Korea
- 2. Department of Electronics Engineering, Honam University, Kwoangju, South Korea
- 3. Department of Electronics Engineering, Hanseo University, Seosan, South Korea
- 4. Semiconductor R & D Center, Samsung Electronics, Kihung-eup Kyungki-do, South Korea