Upconversion luminescence of Er3+ in transparent SiO2—PbF2—ErF3 glass ceramics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Oxyfluoride glasses with the composition 50SiO2 · 50PbF2 · xErF3 (x=4 and 5) by molar ratio were developed. Transparent glass ceramics were obtained by heat-treating the 50SiO2 · 50PbF2 · xErF3 glasses at the first crystallization temperatures. X-ray diffraction analysis of the transparent glass ceramics revealed that fluorite type β-PbF2:Er3+ solid solution regions of about 13.0 nm in diameter are precipitated in the glass matrix. The formation of this β-PbF2:Er3+ solid solution was also supported by Eu3+ fluorescence spectra which were measured on specimens in which Eu substituted for Er. Under 800 nm laser excitation, the Er3+ upconversion luminescence of 50SiO2 · 50PbF2 · xErF3 glasses was barely detectable, but the 50SiO2 · 50PbF2 · xErF3 glass ceramics gave Er3+ upconversion luminescence at a very high efficiency. The reason for the highly efficient Er3+ upconversion luminescence in the 50SiO2 · 50PbF2 · xErF3 glass ceramics can be explained in terms of the very small multiphonon relaxation rates that are anticipated from consideration of the Eu3+ emission spectra.
- S. Tanabe, K. Hirao and N. Soga, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 122 (1990) 79.
- S. Tanabe, K. Takahara, M. Takahashi and Y. Kawamoto, J. Opt. Soc. Amer. B 12 (1995) 786.
- M. Shojiya, M. Takahashi, R. Kanno, Y. Kawamoto and K. Kadono, Appl. Phys. Lett. 65 (1994) 1874.
- Idem, ibid 67 (1995) 2453.
- K. Kadono, H. Higuchi, M. Takahashi, Y. Kawamoto and H. Tanaka, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 184 (1995) 309.
- T. Miyakawa and D. L. Dexter, Phys. Rev. B 1 (1970) 2961.
- Z. Pan, S. H. Morgan, K. Dyer, A. Ueda and H. Liu, J. Appl. Phys. 79 (1996) 8906.
- R. S. Quimby, M. G. Drexhage and M. J. Suscavage, Electron. Lett. 23 (1987) 32.
- JCPDS International Centre for Diffraction Data Card no. 6-0251.
- P. McMillan, Amer. Mineralogist 69 (1984) 622.
- Y. Wang and J. Ohwaki, Appl. Phys. Lett. 63 (1993) 3268.
- Upconversion luminescence of Er3+ in transparent SiO2—PbF2—ErF3 glass ceramics
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 33, Issue 1 , pp 63-67
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors