Interpretations of intuitionist logic in non-normal modal logics
- Colin Oakes
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Historically, it was the interpretations of intuitionist logic in the modal logic S4 that inspired the standard Kripke semantics for intuitionist logic. The inspiration of this paper is the interpretation of intuitionist logic in the non-normal modal logic S3: an S3 model structure can be 'looked at' as an intuitionist model structure and the semantics for S3 can be 'cashed in' to obtain a non-normal semantics for intuitionist propositional logic. This non-normal semantics is then extended to intuitionist quantificational logic.
- Brouwer, L. E. J., 'Consciousness, Philosophy, and Mathematics', in Collected Works I, ed. A. Heyting, pp. 480–494 (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1975).
- Gödel, K., 'An interpretation of the intuitionistic propositional calculus', in Collected Works, vol. 1, eds. S. Feferman et al., pp. 301, 303 (Oxford University press, New York, 1986).
- Grzegorczyk, A., 'Some relational systems and the associated topological spaces', Fundamenta Mathematicae 60 1964, 223–231.
- Hacking, I., 'What is Strict Implication?', Journal of Symbolic Logic 28 1963, 51–71.
- Hughes, G. E. and Cresswell, M. J., A New Introduction to Modal Logic (Routledge, London, 1996).
- Kripke, S., 'Semantical Analysis of intuitionist Logic I', in Formal Systems and Recursive Functions, ed. J. Crossley and M. Dummett, pp. 92–130 (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1965).
- McKinsey, J. C. C. and Tarski, A., 'Some theorems about the sentential calculi of Lewis and Heyting', Journal of Symbolic Logic 13 1948, 1–15.
- Prawitz, D. and Malmnäs, P., 'A survey of some connections between clasical, intuitionistic, and minimal logic', in Contributions to Mathematical Logic, eds. A. Schmidt et al., pp. 215–229 (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1968).
- Troelstra, A. S. and van Dalen, D., Constructivism in Mathematics: An Introduction, vol. 1 (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1988).
- Interpretations of intuitionist logic in non-normal modal logics
Journal of Philosophical Logic
Volume 28, Issue 1 , pp 47-60
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- intuitionist logic
- modal logic
- Colin Oakes (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, USA