Unsteady slot Suction from a High-Reynolds-Number Cross-Flow
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The problem of unsteady suction from a high-Reynolds-number cross-flow into a slot is considered in the case where the suction is driven by a time-dependent slot pressure. The model uses linearised asymptotics based on a small parameter that defines the suction strength. An integro differential equation is derived for the mass flow into the slot and this is solved for various time-dependent slot pressures of practical interest. Closed-form expressions are also found for the shape of the shear layer dividing the external flow from the fluid in the slot. For a step function change in the slot pressure, a non-monotonic decay to the steady solution is observed, and for an oscillatory slot pressure there is a phase lag between the slot pressure and the mass flow. For rapidly changing slot pressures it is shown that slot injection can occur, even when the slot pressure remains below the free-stream pressure.
- J. W. Chew, S. Dadkhah and A. B. Turner, Rim sealing of rotor-stator wheelspaces in the absence of external flow. J. Turbomachinery - Trans. ASME114 (1992) 433-438.
- J. N. Dewynne, S. D. Howison, J. R. Ockendon, L. C. Morland, and E. J. Watson, Slot suction from inviscid channel flow. J. Fluid Mech. 200 (1989) 265-282.
- J. H. Michell, On the theory of free stream lines. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. London A181 (1890) 389-431.
- L. C. Morland, Mathematical Models for a Fluid Flow Arising in Turbine Blade Cooling Passages. D. Phil. Thesis, University of Oxford (1988) 114 pp.
- M. Van Dyke, Perturbation Methods in Fluid Mechanics. Stanford, California: Parabolic Press (1975) 520 pp.
- T. R. B. Lattimer, Singular Partial Integro-Differential Equations Arising in Thin Aerofoil Theory. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Southampton (1996) 159 pp.
- N. I. Muskhelishvili, Singular Integral Equations. New York: Dover Publications (1992) 447 pp.
- M. Abramowitz and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions. New York: Dover Publications (1964) 946 pp.
- Unsteady slot Suction from a High-Reynolds-Number Cross-Flow
Journal of Engineering Mathematics
Volume 33, Issue 3 , pp 293-310
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- film cooling
- Hilbert transforms
- thin aerofoil theory.
- Industry Sectors