Temperature-induced alteration to root longevity in Lolium perenne
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The production and mortality of roots is an important factor determining nutrient and carbon fluxes in terrestrial ecosystems. However, the effect of temperature on the longevity of roots is not understood. In this study the impact of changes in temperature on the longevity of Lolium perenne roots was determined.
Plants were grown at 15 °C, 21 °C and 27 °C and their roots observed using a minirhizotron system. Major effects of temperature were measured with large reductions in root longevity occurring at higher temperatures. The implications of these data are discussed.
- Atkinson D 1985 Spatial and temporal aspects of root distribution as indicated by the use of a root observation laboratory. InEcological Interactions in Soil. Eds. A H Fitter, D Atkinson and D J Read. pp 43-65. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- Emmer I M and Tietema A 1990 Temperature-dependant nitrogen transformations in acid oak-beech forest litter in the Netherlands. Plant Soil 122, 193-196.
- Fogel R 1985 Roots as primary producers in below ground ecosystems. InEcological Interactions in Soil. Eds. A H Fitter, D Atkinson, D J Read and M Usher. Special Publication number 4. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- Giovanetti M and Mosse B 1980. An evaluation of techniques for measuring vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal infection in roots. New Phytol. 84, 489-500.
- Grey W E 1991 Influence of temperature on colonisation of spring barleys by vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Plant Soil 137, 181-190.
- Grier C C, Vogt K A, Keyes m R and Edmonds R L 1981 Biomass distribution and above-and below-ground production in young and mature Abies amabiliszone ecosystems of the western cascades. Can. J. Forest. Res. 11, 155-167.
- Hendrick R L and Pregitzer K S 1992 The demography of fine roots in a Northern hardwood forest. Ecology 73, 1094-1104.
- Hendrick R L and Pregitzer K S 1993 Patterns of fine root mortality in two sugar maple forests. Nature 361, 59-61.
- Hooker J E and Atkinson D 1992 Application of computer-aided image analysis to studies of arbuscular endomycorrhizal fungi effects on plant root system morphology and dynamics. Agronomie 12, 821-824.
- Hooker J E, Black K E, Perry R L and Atkinson D 1995 Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi induced alteration to root longevity of poplar. Plant Soil 172, 327-329.
- Koske R E and Gemma J N 1989 A modified procedure for staining roots to detect VA mycorrhizas. Mycol. Res. 92, 486-505.
- Kosola K R, Eissenstat D M and Graham, J H 1995 Root demography of mature citrus trees: the influence of Phytophthora nicotianae.Plant Soil 171, 283-288.
- Mackie-Dawson L A, Pratt S M and Millard P 1994 Root growth and nitrogen uptake in sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanusL.) seedlings in relation to nitrogen supply. Plant Soil 158, 233-238.
- Nadelhoffer K J, Aber J D and Melillo J M 1985 Fine roots, net primary production and nitrogen availability: a new hypothesis. Ecology 66, 1377-1390.
- Persson H 1978 Root dynamics in a young Scot's pine stand in Central Sweden. Oikos 30, 508-519.
- Reid J B, Sorensen I and Petrie R A 1993 Root demography of kiwifruit (Actinidia deliciosa). Plant Cell Environ. 16, 949-957
- Temperature-induced alteration to root longevity in Lolium perenne
Plant and Soil
Volume 190, Issue 1 , pp 87-90
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- root longevity
- root mortality
- Industry Sectors