A new membrane tube technique (METT) for continuous gas measurements in soils
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We present a novel technique for monitoring trace gas concentrations in the air filled pore space of the soil with a high temporal resolution. The method is based on gas diffusing from the air filled pore space into air flowing through an air permeable, hydrophobic, polypropylene tube (Accurel® PP V8/2). Gas permeation efficiencies of the membrane tube were determined for NO, N2O, CO2 and 222Rn in the laboratory. For a length of 1.5 m and flows smaller than 0.8 L min-1, the permeation efficiency was larger than 96%. The effective diffusion coefficients of NO, N2O, CO2 and 222Rn in the membrane are 6.2, 6.6, 5.6 and 6.6 times smaller than the corresponding diffusion coefficients in air, respectively. For tubes shorter than 1.5 m the contribution of pressure gradient induced transport into the membrane tube is below 0.9% of concentration gradient induced transport.
Profiles of NO and 222Rn have been measured in the soil of a wheat field. For destructive NO measurements the inlet concentration of the tube was adjusted to the concentrations measured at the outlet whereas for the non-destructive 222Rn measurements the sampled gas was recycled.
- Conrad R 1996 Metabolism of nitric oxide in soil and soil microorganisms and regulation of flux into the atmosphere. In Microbiology of Atmospheric Trace Gases, Sources, Sinks and Global Change Processes. NATO ASI Series I, 39, 167–203, Springer Verlag, Berlin.
- Dörr H and Münnich K O 1990 222Rn flux and soil air concentration profiles in West-Germany. Soil 222Rn as tracer for gas transport in the unsaturated soil zone. Tellus 42B, 20–28.
- Dueñas C, Fernández M C, Carretero J and Liger E 1996 Methane uptake in soils of southern Spain estimated by two different techniques: static chamber and 222Rn flux and soil air concentration profiles. Atmos. Environ. 30,4, 545–552.
- Firestone M K and Davidson E A 1989 Microbiological basis of NO and N2O Production and Consumption in soil. In Exchange of Trace Gases between Terrestrial Ecosystems and the Atmosphere. © S Bernhard, Dahlem Konferenzen. Eds. M O Andreae and D Schimmel. pp 7–21. Wiley, New York.
- Galbally I E and Johansson C 1989 A model relating laboratory measurements of rates of nitric oxide production and field measurements of nitric oxide emissions from soils. J. Geophys. Res. 94(D5), 6473–6480.
- Hirst W and Harrison G E 1939 The diffusion of radon in gas mixtures. Proc. Roy. Soc. London (A), 169, 573 ff.
- Hwang H and Dasgupta P K 1985 Thermodynamics of the hydrogen peroxide-water system. Environ. Sci. Technol. 19, 255–258.
- Kirkham D 1947 Field methods for determination of air permeability of soil in its undisturbed state. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 11, 93–99.
- Landolt-Börnstein 1969 Transportphänomene I. In Eigenschaften der Materie in ihren Aggregatzuständen. 5. Teil, Bandteil a, Springer Verlag, Berlin (5. Auflage).
- Lerman A 1979 Water and sediment environments. In Geochemical Processes. Wiley, New York.
- Lehmann B E, Lehmann M, Loosli H H, Gut A, Blatter A, Fahrni M, Neftel A and Staffelbach T 1997 Use of temporal variations of radon activities in soil gas depth profiles for calibrating trace gas exchange in agro-ecosystems. In Proc. Int. Symp. on Isotope Techniques in the Study of Past and Current Environmental Changes in the Hydrosphere and the Atmosphere, 14–18 April 1997, IAEA-SM-349/48, Vienna, Austria.
- Mason E A and Monchick L 1962 Transport properties of polar-gas mixtures. J. Chem. Phys. 36, 2746–2757.
- Nazaroff W W, Moed B A and Sextro R G 1988 Soil as source of indoor radon: generation, migration and entry. In Radon and its Decay Products in Indoor Air. Eds. W W Nazaroff and Nero Jr A V. pp 57–112. Wiley, New York.
- Neftel A, Blatter A, Gut A, Högger D, Meixner F X, Ammann A and Nathaus F J 1998 NH3 soil and soil surface measurements in a triticale wheat field. Atmos. Environ. (In press).
- Pritchard D T and Currie J A 1982 Diffusion coefficients of carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, ethylene and ethane in air and their measurement. J. Soil Sci. 33, 175–184.
- Remde A and Conrad R 1991 Role of nitrification and denitrification for NO metabolism in soil. Biogeochemistry 12, 189–205.
- Schuler C and Wernli C 1991 Kalibrierung von Radonmessgeräten bei verschiedenen Umweltbedingungen: Einsatzmöglichkeiten der PSI-Radonkammer. Fachverband für Strahlenschutz e.V, Publikationsreihe Fortschritte im Strahlenschutz, Verlag TÜV Rheinland, ISSN 1013-4506, 119–127.
- Staffelbach T and Kok G L 1993 Henry's Law constants for aqueous solutions of hydrogen peroxide and hydroxymethyl hydroperoxide. J. Geophys. Res. 98(D7), 12 713–12 717.
- A new membrane tube technique (METT) for continuous gas measurements in soils
Plant and Soil
Volume 198, Issue 1 , pp 79-88
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- membrane tube
- nitric oxide
- sampling technique
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Swiss Federal Research Station for Agroecology and Agriculture, Institute of Environmental Protection and Agriculture, CH 3003, Bern - Liebefeld, Switzerland
- 2. Physics Institute, University of Bern, CH 3012, Bern, Switzerland