Critique of the unconscious: Kantian influences in the works of Lucian Blaga
- George G. Constandache
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Lucian Blaga was the creator of a speculative and metaphoric philosophical system that placed mystery at its very core. Mystery, according to Blaga, veils existence and represents both a stimulus and a brake for human knowledge. His articulation of this view is strongly indebted to Kant, whose transcendental philosophy he sought to extend by critically examining the forms of sensibility and categories of the understanding, not so much in relation to consciousness, but as they are duplicated, or “doubled,” in the unconscious. The result is Blaga's “stylistic apriorism,” according to which the unconscious always manages consciousness through “abyssal categories” in terms of which different regions and peoples at once reveal and remain isolated from mystery.
- Blaga, Lucian. Aspecte Antropologice [Anthropological Aspects] (Timisoara: Facla Publishing House, 1976).
- –. Diferentialele Divine [The Divine Differentials] (Bucharest: Royal Foundation for Literature and Arts, Romanian Philosophy Library, 1940).
- –. “Daimonion” in Zari si etape [Horizons and Stages]. ed. Dorli Blaga (Bucharest: Publishing House for Literature, 1968).
- –. Elanul Insulei [The Elan of the Island]. ed. Dorli Blaga and George Gana (Cluj-Napoca: Dacia Publishing House, 1977).
- –. Fiinta Istorica [The Historic Being] (Cluj-Napoca: Dacia Publishing House, 1977).
- –. Trilogia Culturii [The Trilogy of Culture] (Bucharest: Royal Foundation for Literature and Arts, Romanian Philosophy Library, 1969).
- –. Trilogia Cunoasterii [The Trilogy of Cognition] (Bucharest: Royal Foundation for Literature and Arts, Romanian Philosophy Library, 1943).
- –. Trilogia Valorilor [The Trilogy of Values] (Bucharest: Royal Foundation for Literature and Arts, Romanian Philosophy Library, 1946).
- Horia, Vintila. "Roumanie," in Les grands courants de la pensée mondiale contempoaraine: Vol. 2 (Paris: Fischbacher and Marzorati Publishing House, 1964).
- ***, ed. Dictionar de Filosofie [Dictionary of Philosophy] (Bucharest: Politics Publishing House, 1978).
- Critique of the unconscious: Kantian influences in the works of Lucian Blaga
Man and World
Volume 30, Issue 4 , pp 445-452
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Politechnicà University, Bucharest, Romania