Taxonomic re-evaluation of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae NH-5 based on morphology and 16S rRNA gene sequences
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The taxonomy of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae strain NH-5, a producer of cyanotoxins, was re-evaluated by comparison with six other Aphanizomenon strains using morphological characteristics and 16S rRNA gene sequences. Strain NH-5 was concluded to be improperly identified as Aph. flos-aquae based upon (1) lack of bundle formation in the trichomes, (2) location of akinetes next to heterocytes, (3) lower similarities (less than 97.5%) in the 16S rRNA gene sequences relative to Aph. flos-aquae strains, and (4) comparison within a phylogenetic tree constructed from 16S rRNA gene sequences. The Aphanizomenon strains investigated in this study are classified to four morphological groups as described by the classical taxonomy of Komárek & Kovácik (1989). This classification was supported from the phylogenetic results of 16S rRNA gene sequences. This study also discusses the generic boundaries between Aphanizomenon and Anabaena.
- Alam, M., Y. Shimizu, M. Ikawa & J. J. Jr Sasner, 1978. Reinvestigation of the toxin from blue-green alga Aphanizomenon flos-aquae by a high performance chromatographic method. J. Envir. Sci. Hlth A13: 493 pp.
- Altschul, S. F., W. Gish, W. Miller, E. W. Myers & D. J. Lipman, 1990. Basic local alignment search tool. J. Mol. Biol. 215: 403–410.
- Baker, K. K., 1981. Ecology and taxonomy of five natural populations of the genus Aphanizomenon Morren (Cyanophyceae). Arch. Hydrobiol. 92: 222–251.
- Fjerdingstad, E., 1966. Cell dimensions of some members of Aphanizomenon Morren (Cyanophyceae). Schweiz. Z. Hydrol. 28: 133–147.
- Horecká, M. & J. Komárek, 1979. Taxonomic position of three planktonic blue-green algae from the genera Aphanizomenon and Cylindrospermopsis. Preslia 51: 289–312.
- Ikawa, M., K. Wegener, T. L. Foxall & J. J. Sasner, Jr. 1982. Comparison of the toxins of the blue-green Aphanizomenon flos-aquae with the Gonyaulax toxins. Toxicon 20: 747.
- Komárek, J., 1958. Die taxonomische Revision der planktischen Blaualgen der Tschechoslowakei. In Komárek, J. & H. Ettl (eds), Algologische Studien, Tschechosl. Akad. Wissensch, Prague: 10–206.
- Komárek, J. & L. Kovácik, 1989. Trichomes structure of four Aphanizomenon taxa (Cyanophyceae) from Czechoslovakia, with notes on the taxonomy and delimitation of the genus. Pl. Syst. Evol. 164: 47–64.
- Komárková, J., 1983. Factors influencing the development of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae bloom in Czechoslovak eutrophic fish ponds. Schweiz. Z. Hydrol. 45: 301–306.
- Li, R., A. Yokota, J. Sugiyama, M. Watanabe, M. Hiroki & M. M. Watanabe, 1998. Chemotaxonomy of planktonic cyanobacteria based on non-polar and 3-hydroxy fatty acid composition. Phycol. Res. 46: 21–28.
- Mahmood, N. A. & W. W. Carmichael, 1986. Paralytic shellfish poisons produced by the freshwater cyanobacterium Aphanizomenon flos-aquae NH-5. Toxicon 24: 175–186.
- Park, H-K, S-U. Cheon, I-N. Jin & J-K. Ryu, 1997. A study on the distribution of cyanobacterial strains and microcystins in Korean freshwater. Proc. Asian Water Quality 2: 1035–1043.
- Rapala, J., K. Sivonen, C. Lyra & S. I. Niemelä, 1993. Anatoxina concentration in Anabaena and Aphanizomenon at different environmental conditions and comparison of growth by toxic and non-toxic Anabaena strains, a laboratory study. Apl. envir. Microbiol. 64: 2206–2212.
- Reynolds, C. S., 1984. The Ecology of Freshwater Phytoplankton. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge/London/New York/New Rochelle/Melbourne/Sydney: 384 pp.
- Rudi, K., O. L. Skulberg, F. Larsen & K. S. Jakobsen, 1997. Strain characterization and classification of oxyphotobacteria in clone culture on the basis of 16S rRNA sequences from the variable region V6, V7 and V8. Apl. envir. Microbiol. 63: 2593–2599.
- Sawyer, P. J., J. H. Gentile & J. J. Sasner, Jr., 1968. Demonstration of a toxin from Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (L.) Ralfs. Can. J. Microbiol. 14: 1199.
- Stackebrandt, E. & B. M. Goebel, 1994. Taxonomic note: a place for DNA-DNA reassociation and 16S rRNA sequence analysis in the present species definition in bacteriology. Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 44: 846–849.
- Thompson, J. D., D. G. Higgins & T. J. Gibson, 1994. CLASTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22: 4673–4680.
- Watanabe, M., 1991. Studies on the planktonic Blue-green Algae 3. Some Aphanizomenon species in Hollaido, Northern Japan. Bull. natn. Sci. Mus., Tokyo, Ser. B 17: 141–150.
- Watanabe, M. M. & M. Hiroki, 1997. NIES-Collection. List of Strains, Algae and Protozoa 5th edn. National Institute for Environmental Studies, Environment Agency, Japan: 140 pp.
- Wayne L. G., D. J. Brenner, R. R. Colwell, P. A. D. Grimont, O. Kandler, M. I. Krichevsky, L. H. Moore, W. E. C. Moore, R. G. E. Murray, E. Stackebrandt, M. P. Starr & H. G. Truper, 1987. Report of Ad Hoc Committee on Reconciliation of Approaches to Bacterial Systematics. Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol 37: 463–464.
- Taxonomic re-evaluation of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae NH-5 based on morphology and 16S rRNA gene sequences
Volume 438, Issue 1-3 , pp 99-105
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- 16S rRNA
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biological Sciences, Wright State University, Dayton, OH, 45435, U.S.A.
- 2. Department of Biological Sciences, Wright State University, Dayton, OH, 45435, U.S.A.
- 3. Institute of Hydrobiology, the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, 430072, P. R. China
- 4. National Institute for Environmental Studies, Onogawa 16-2, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305-0053, Japan