Taxonomic re-evaluation of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae NH-5 based on morphology and 16S rRNA gene sequences
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The taxonomy of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae strain NH-5, a producer of cyanotoxins, was re-evaluated by comparison with six other Aphanizomenon strains using morphological characteristics and 16S rRNA gene sequences. Strain NH-5 was concluded to be improperly identified as Aph. flos-aquae based upon (1) lack of bundle formation in the trichomes, (2) location of akinetes next to heterocytes, (3) lower similarities (less than 97.5%) in the 16S rRNA gene sequences relative to Aph. flos-aquae strains, and (4) comparison within a phylogenetic tree constructed from 16S rRNA gene sequences. The Aphanizomenon strains investigated in this study are classified to four morphological groups as described by the classical taxonomy of Komárek & Kovácik (1989). This classification was supported from the phylogenetic results of 16S rRNA gene sequences. This study also discusses the generic boundaries between Aphanizomenon and Anabaena.
- Alam, M., Y. Shimizu, M. Ikawa & J. J. Jr Sasner, 1978. Reinvestigation of the toxin from blue-green alga Aphanizomenon flos-aquae by a high performance chromatographic method. J. Envir. Sci. Hlth A13: 493 pp.
- Altschul, S. F., Gish, W., Miller, W., Myers, E. W., Lipman, D. J. (1990) Basic local alignment search tool. J. Mol. Biol. 215: pp. 403-410
- Baker, K. K. (1981) Ecology and taxonomy of five natural populations of the genus Aphanizomenon Morren (Cyanophyceae). Arch. Hydrobiol. 92: pp. 222-251
- Fjerdingstad, E. (1966) Cell dimensions of some members of Aphanizomenon Morren (Cyanophyceae). Schweiz. Z. Hydrol. 28: pp. 133-147
- Horecká, M., Komárek, J. (1979) Taxonomic position of three planktonic blue-green algae from the genera Aphanizomenon and Cylindrospermopsis. Preslia 51: pp. 289-312
- Ikawa, M., Wegener, K., Foxall, T. L., Sasner, J. J. (1982) Comparison of the toxins of the blue-green Aphanizomenon flos-aquae with the Gonyaulax toxins. Toxicon 20: pp. 747
- Komárek, J. Die taxonomische Revision der planktischen Blaualgen der Tschechoslowakei. In: Komárek, J., Ettl, H. eds. (1958) Algologische Studien. Tschechosl. Akad. Wissensch, Prague, pp. 10-206
- Komárek, J., Kovácik, L. (1989) Trichomes structure of four Aphanizomenon taxa (Cyanophyceae) from Czechoslovakia, with notes on the taxonomy and delimitation of the genus. Pl. Syst. Evol. 164: pp. 47-64
- Komárková, J. (1983) Factors influencing the development of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae bloom in Czechoslovak eutrophic fish ponds. Schweiz. Z. Hydrol. 45: pp. 301-306
- Li, R., Yokota, A., Sugiyama, J., Watanabe, M., Hiroki, M., Watanabe, M. M. (1998) Chemotaxonomy of planktonic cyanobacteria based on non-polar and 3-hydroxy fatty acid composition. Phycol. Res. 46: pp. 21-28
- Mahmood, N. A., Carmichael, W. W. (1986) Paralytic shellfish poisons produced by the freshwater cyanobacterium Aphanizomenon flos-aquae NH-5. Toxicon 24: pp. 175-186
- Park, H-K, Cheon, S-U., Jin, I-N., Ryu, J-K. (1997) A study on the distribution of cyanobacterial strains and microcystins in Korean freshwater. Proc. Asian Water Quality 2: pp. 1035-1043
- Rapala, J., Sivonen, K., Lyra, C., Niemelä, S. I. (1993) Anatoxina concentration in Anabaena and Aphanizomenon at different environmental conditions and comparison of growth by toxic and non-toxic Anabaena strains, a laboratory study. Apl. envir. Microbiol. 64: pp. 2206-2212
- Reynolds, C. S., 1984. The Ecology of Freshwater Phytoplankton. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge/London/New York/New Rochelle/Melbourne/Sydney: 384 pp.
- Rudi, K., Skulberg, O. L., Larsen, F., Jakobsen, K. S. (1997) Strain characterization and classification of oxyphotobacteria in clone culture on the basis of 16S rRNA sequences from the variable region V6, V7 and V8. Apl. envir. Microbiol. 63: pp. 2593-2599
- Sawyer, P. J., Gentile, J. H., Sasner, J. J. (1968) Demonstration of a toxin from Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (L.) Ralfs. Can. J. Microbiol. 14: pp. 1199
- Stackebrandt, E., Goebel, B. M. (1994) Taxonomic note: a place for DNA-DNA reassociation and 16S rRNA sequence analysis in the present species definition in bacteriology. Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 44: pp. 846-849
- Thompson, J. D., Higgins, D. G., Gibson, T. J. (1994) CLASTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22: pp. 4673-4680
- Watanabe, M. (1991) Studies on the planktonic Blue-green Algae 3. Some Aphanizomenon species in Hollaido, Northern Japan. Bull. natn. Sci. Mus., Tokyo, Ser. B 17: pp. 141-150
- Watanabe, M. M., Hiroki, M. (1997) NIES-Collection. List of Strains, Algae and Protozoa. National Institute for Environmental Studies, Environment Agency, Japan
- Wayne, L. G., Brenner, D. J., Colwell, R. R., Grimont, P. A. D., Kandler, O., Krichevsky, M. I., Moore, L. H., Moore, W. E. C., Murray, R. G. E., Stackebrandt, E., Starr, M. P., Truper, H. G. (1987) Report of Ad Hoc Committee on Reconciliation of Approaches to Bacterial Systematics. Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol 37: pp. 463-464
- Taxonomic re-evaluation of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae NH-5 based on morphology and 16S rRNA gene sequences
Volume 438, Issue 1-3 , pp 99-105
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- 16S rRNA
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biological Sciences, Wright State University, Dayton, OH, 45435, U.S.A.
- 2. Department of Biological Sciences, Wright State University, Dayton, OH, 45435, U.S.A.
- 3. Institute of Hydrobiology, the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, 430072, P. R. China
- 4. National Institute for Environmental Studies, Onogawa 16-2, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305-0053, Japan