Regeneration and genetic transformation of Spanish rice cultivars using mature embryos
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To establish a plant regeneration system from embryogenic callus derived from mature rice embryos, the addition of aminoacids and the effect of two macronutrient solutions MSD and N6D to the basal callus induction medium was tested in three Spanish varieties, Senia, Tebre and Bahia. Aminoacids enhanced the production of embryogenic callus in Tebre and Senia whereas in the case of Bahia, embryogenic callus, which gave rise to a high rate of differentiated shoots, was induced without aminoacids. The macronutrient solution had also to be adjusted for each variety. Pre-regeneration treatment with ABA significantly improved the regeneration rate in all media tested, independently of the media in which the embryogenic callus were induced. In a comparison of growth regulators, BA yielded more shoots than Kin in all varieties whereas the effect of the auxins NAA or IAA was dependent on the variety. Transgenic plants from the three varieties were obtained via an Agrobacterium tumefaciens transformation system, using the optimised culture media.
- Alfonso-Rubí, J., P. Carbonero & I. Díaz, 1999. Parameters influencing the regeneration capacity of calluses derived from mature indica and japonica rice seeds after microprojectile bombardment. Euphytica 107: 115–122. CrossRef
- Chowdhry, C.N., A.K. Tyagi, N. Maheshwari & S.C. Maheshwari, 1993. Effect of L-proline and L-tryptophan on somatic embryogenesis and plantlet regeneration of rice (Oryza sativa L. cv. Pusa 169. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture 32: 357–361. CrossRef
- Chu, C., 1978. The N6D medium and its application to anther culture of cereal crops. In: Proceedings of Symposium on Plant Tissue Culture, pp. 43–50 May 25–30. Peking, China.
- Cornejo, M.J. & E. Primo, 1984. Organogénesis en cultivos celulares diploides y haploides de arroz. Comunicaciones I.N.I.A. Serie: Producción vegetal: 58.
- Grimes, H.D. & T.K. Hodges, 1990. The inorganic NO3–: NH4+ ratio influences plant regeneration and auxin sensitivity in primary callus derived from immature embryos of Indica rice (Oryza sativa L.). J Plant Physiol 136: 362–367.
- Hiei, Y., S. Ohta, T. Komari & T. Kumashiro, 1994. Efficient transformation of rice (Oryza sativa L.) mediated by Agrobacterium and sequence analysis of the boundaries of T-DNA. Plant Journal 6: 271–282. CrossRef
- Hiei Y., T. Komari & T. Kubo, 1997. Transformation of rice mediated by Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Plant Mol Biol 35: 205–218. CrossRef
- Hoekema, A., P.R. Hirsch, P.J.J. Hooykaas & R.A. Schilperoort, 1983. A binary vector based on separation of vir and T-DNA region of the Agrobacterium tumefaciens Ti plasmids. Nature 303: 179–181. CrossRef
- Jefferson, R.A., T.A. Kavanagh & M.W. Bevan, 1987. GUS fusions: beta-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO J 6: 3901–3907.
- Li, Z. & N. Murai, 1990. Efficient plant regeneration from rice protoplasts in general medium. Plant Cell Rep 9: 216–220.
- Masuda, K., A. Kudo-Shiratori & M. Inoue, 1989. Callus transformation and plant regeneration from rice protoplasts purified by density gradient centrifugation. Plant Science 62: 237–246. CrossRef
- Murashige, T. & F. Skoog, 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth requirements of tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol Plant 15: 473–497. CrossRef
- Nabors, M.W., J.W. Heyser, T.A. Dykes & K.J. DeMott, 1983. Long-duration, high-frequency plant regeneration from cereal tissue cultures. Planta 157: 385–391. CrossRef
- Osawa, K. & A. Komamine, 1989. Establishment of a system of high-frequency embryogenesis from long-term cell suspension cultures of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Theor Appl Gen 77: 205–211.
- Peterson, G. & R. Smith. 1991. Effect of abscicic acid and callus size on regeneration of American and International rice varieties. Plant Cell Rep 10: 35–38. CrossRef
- Poonsapaya, P., M.W. Nabors, K. Wright & M. Vajrabhaya, 1989. A comparison of methods for callus culture and plant regeneration of RD25 rice (Oryza sativa L.) in two laboratories. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Culture 16: 175–186.
- Rueb, S., M. Leneman, R.A. Schilperoort & L.A.M. Hensgens, 1994. Efficient plant regeneration through somatic embryogenesis from callus induced on mature rice embryos (Oryza sativa L.). Plant Cell, Tissue & Organ culture 36: 259–264. CrossRef
- Regeneration and genetic transformation of Spanish rice cultivars using mature embryos
Volume 114, Issue 2 , pp 117-122
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- genetic transformation
- japonica rice cultivar
- mature embryo
- Oryza sativa
- plant regeneration
- Industry Sectors