Effects of Cyprinus carpio on Potamogeton pectinatus in experimental culture: the incidence of the periphyton
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effect of one-year-old common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) on plants and seedlings of Potamogeton pectinatus L., and on periphyton development was studied in 100 l glass aquaria. Two 30-day experiments were conducted using a muddy sediment or a pebbly bottom. In both cases, three treatments based on different fish size (two fish/aquarium) were assayed. The control had no fish. In both experiments, chlorophyll content of the periphyton increased from the beginning to the end of the period, for the three fish treatments. Light attenuation by periphyton was high, with final values 12-30% higher than in the control. Periphytic communities acclimated to reduced light conditions when the bottom was muddy. It can be concluded that, in muddy conditions, small carp affected plant growth by shade stress, which is achieved by a combination of increase in turbidity and the developing of a leaf periphytic cover. Under pebbly conditions, plant damage was caused by collisions and the growth of epiphytic algae. Medium and large fish consumed plants in both experiments. Seedlings were affected by herbivory in all cases.
- Bagenal, T. B. & F. W. Tesch, 1978. Age and growth. In Bagenal, T. (ed.), Methods for Assessment of Fish Production in FreshWaters. IBP Handbook No 3, 3rd edn. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford: 101–136.
- Brumley, A. R., 1991. Cyprinids of Australasia. In Winfield, I. J. & J. S. Nelson (eds), Cyprinid Fishes, Systematics, Biology and Exploitation. Fish and Fisheries Series 3. Chapman & Hall, London: 264–283.
- Cazzaniga, N. J., 1981. Caracterización química y faunística de canales de drenaje del Valle Inferior del Río Colorado. Ecosur 8: 25–46.
- Crivelli, A. J., 1983. The destruction of aquatic vegetation by carp. A comparison between Southern France and the United States. Hydrobiologia 106: 37–41.
- Drovandi, A. A., 1993. Aquatic weed problems in two irrigation schemes: effect of light climate change on the growth and development of Potamogeton pectinatus L. in the south of Argentina. M.Sc. thesis. IHE, Delft, The Netherlands: 71 pp.
- Fernández, O. A., K. J. Murphy, A. López Cazorla, M. R. Sabbatini, M.A. Lazzari, J.C.J. Domaniewski & J. H. Irigoyen, 1998. Interrelationships of fish and channel environmental conditions with aquatic macrophytes in an Argentine irrigation system. Hydrobiologia 380: 15–25.
- Fletcher, A. R., A. K. Morison & D. J. Hume, 1985. Effects of carp, Cyprinus carpio L., on communities of aquatic vegetation and turbidity of waterbodies in the Lower Goulburn River Basin. Aust. J. mar. Freshwat. Res. 36: 311–327.
- King, D. R. & G. S. Hunt, 1967. Effect of carp on vegetation in a Lake Erie Marsh. J. Wildlife Mgmt 31: 181–188.
- Lammens, E. H. R. R. & W. Hoogenboezem, 1991. Diets and feeding behaviour. In Winfield, I. J. & J. S. Nelson (eds), Cyprinid Fishes, Systematics, Biology and Exploitation. Fish and Fisheries Series 3. Chapman & Hall, London: 353–376.
- Lowe, R. L., 1996. Periphyton patterns in lakes. In Stevenson, R. J., M. L. Bothwell & R. L. Lowe (eds), Algal Ecology, Aquatic Ecology Series. Academic Press, San Diego, California: 57–76.
- McCrimmon, H. R., 1968. Carp in Canada. Bull. Fish. Res. Bd Can. 165: 93 pp.
- Otto, C., 1982. Adaptations to benthic freshwater herbivory. InWetzel, R. G. (ed.), Periphyton of Freshwater Ecosystems. Dr W. Junk Publishers, The Hague: 199–205.
- Phillips, G. L., D. F. Eminson & B. Moss, 1978. A mechanism to account for macrophyte decline in progressively eutrophicated waters. Aquat. Bot. 4: 103–126.
- Roberts, J., A. Chick, L. Oswald & P. Thompson, 1995. Effect of carp, Cyprinus carpio L., an exotic benthivorous fish, on aquatic plants and water quality in experimental ponds. Aust. J. mar. Freshwat. Res. 46: 1171–1180.
- Robertson, A. I., M. R. Healey & A. J. King, 1997. Experimental manipulations of the biomass of introduced carp (Cyprinus carpio) in billabongs. II. Impacts on benthic properties and processes. Mar. Freshwat. Res. 48: 445–454.
- Rodriguez, M. A., 1987. Estimating periphyton growth parameters using simple methods. Limnol. Oceanogr. 32: 458–464.
- Sand-Jensen, K., 1977. Effects of epiphytes on eelgrass photosynthesis. Aquat. Bot. 3: 55–63.
- Sibbing, F. A., 1988. Specializations and limitations in the utilization of food resources by the carp, Cyprinus carpio: a study of oral food processing. Envir. Biol. Fishes 22: 161–178
- Sibbing, F. A., 1991. Food capture and oral processing. In Winfield, I. J. & J. S. Nelson (eds), Cyprinid Fishes, Systematics, Biology and Exploitation. Fish and Fisheries Series 3. Chapman & Hall, London: 377–412.
- Sidorkewicj, N. S., 1998. Efecto de Cyprinus carpio L. (Pisces: Cyprinidae) sobre la vegetación sumergida y la calidad del ambiente acuático. Tesis Doctoral. Univ. Nac. del Sur, Argentina: 268 pp.
- Sidorkewicj, N. S., A. C. López Cazorla & O. A. Fernández, 1996. The interaction between Cyprinus carpio L. and Potamogeton pectinatus L. under aquarium conditions. Hydrobiologia 340: 271–275.
- Sidorkewicj, N. S., H. Freije & A. C. López Cazorla, 1999a. Effects of young common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) on seston dynamics in experimental culture. Ecol., Envir. Conserv. 5 (in press).
- Sidorkewicj, N. S., M. R. Sabbatini, A. C. López Cazorla & O. A. Fernández, 1999b. Efecto de la carpa comÚn sobre la vegetación sumergida y la calidad del agua. Actas XIII Congreso Latinoamericano de Malezas (in press).
- Sidorkewicj, N. S., A. C. López Cazorla, K. J. Murphy, M. R. Sabbatini, O. A. Fernández & J. C. J. Domaniewski, 1998. Interaction of common carp with aquatic weeds in Argentine drainage chanels. J. Aquat. Plant Mgmt 36: 5–10.
- Soto Perez, N., 1994. Periphyton and seston dynamics and their implications for light climate and photosynthesis by Potamogeton pectinatus L. in an argentinan irrigation scheme. M.Sc. thesis. IHE, Delft, The Netherlands: 57 pp.
- Steel, R. G. D. & J. H. Torrie, 1980. Principles and Procedures of Statistics: a Biometrical Approach, 2nd edn. McGraw-Hill, U.S.A.: 633 pp.
- Tennant, D., 1975. A test of a modified line intersect method of estimating root length. J. Ecol. 63: 995–1001.
- Van Wijk, R. J., E. M. J. Van Goor & J. A. C. Verkley, 1988. Ecological studies on Potamogeton pectinatus L. II. Autoecological characteristics, with emphasis on salt tolerance, intraspecific variation and isoenzyme patterns. Aquat. Bot. 32: 239–260.
- Vermaat, J. E. & M. J. M. Hootsmans, 1994a. Intraspecific variation in Potamogeton pectinatus L.: a controlled laboratory experiment. In Van Vierssen, W., M. Hootsmans & J. Vermaat (eds), Lake Veluwe, a Macrophyte-dominated System under Eutrophication Stress. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht: 26–39.
- Vermaat, J. E. & M. J. M. Hootsmans, 1994b. Periphyton dynamics in a temperature-light-gradient. In Van Vierssen, W., M. Hootsmans & J. Vermaat (eds), Lake Veluwe, a Macrophyte-dominated System under Eutrophication Stress. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht: 193–212.
- Wintermans, J. F. G. M. & A. De Mots, 1965. Spectrophotometric characteristics of chlorophylls a and b and their phaeophytins in ethanol. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 109: 448–453.
- Effects of Cyprinus carpio on Potamogeton pectinatus in experimental culture: the incidence of the periphyton
Volume 415, Issue 0 , pp 13-19
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- common carp
- sago pondweed
- light attenuation
- Industry Sectors