Genetic control of the long glume phenotype in tetraploid wheat by homoeologous chromosomes
- N. Watanabe
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Ispahan emmer wheat, Triticum ispahanicum Heslot, was discovered in Iran 1957 by the French expedition of Vinnot- Bourgen. T. ispahanicum has a long glume and a more slender spike than T. turgidum var. polonicum. The objectives of this study were (1) to determine the inheritance and chromosomal location of the gene for long glume, P2, from T. ispahanicum using the near- isogenic line P2-LD222, and (2) to compare the effects of the genes for long glume. The gene for long glume, P2, was located approximately 36.5 cM from the cn-B1 locus, which controls the chlorina trait and approximately 40 cM from the centromere on the long arm of 7B. The location of P2 approximately 29.6 cM from the Pc locus produced additional evidence that the order of loci was cn-B1, P2, and Pc. This raises the possibility of a paralogous gene set conditioning long glumes. A significant deviation from a 3:1 ratio in the F2 of LDN 7D(7B)/P2-LD222 confirmed the location of P2 on chromosome 7B. It is proposed that T. ispahanicum originated as a mutation of a gene affecting glume length on chromosome 7B of T. dicoccum, a spelt type of cultivated tetraploid wheat.
- Arbuzova, V.S., T.T. Efemova, L.I. Laikova, O.I. Maystrenko, O.M. Popova & T.A. Pshenichikova, 1996. Development of precise genetic stocks in two wheat cultivars and their use in genetic analysis. Euphytica 89: 11–15. CrossRef
- Chelak, V.R., 1978. Phylogeny of the Ispahan emmer wheat Triticum ispahanicum Heslot. Tsitologiya i Genetika 12: 323–330 (in Russian).
- Gale, M.D., C.N. Law, A.J. Chojecki & R.A. Kempton, 1983. Genetic control of a-amylase production in wheat. Theor Appl Genet 64: 309–316. CrossRef
- Heslot, H. 1958. Triticum hispahanicum: une nouvelle espéce de Blé cultivé originaire d'Iran. Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Séances de L'Académie des Sciences 247: 159–161.
- Joppa, L.R. & N.D. Williams, 1988. Langdon durum substitution lines and aneuploid analysis intetraploid wheat. Genome 30: 222–228. CrossRef
- Kihara, H., K. Yamashita & M. Tanaka, 1956. A new strain of Triticum polonicum. Wheat Inform Serv 4: 3.
- Klindworth, D.L., N.D. Williams & M.E. Duysen, 1995. Genetic analysis of Chlorina mutants of durum wheat. Crop Sci 35: 431–436. CrossRef
- Klindworth, D.L., M.M. Klindworth & N.D. Williams, 1997. Telosomic mapping of four morphological markers of durum wheat. J Hered 88: 229–232.
- Kosambi, D.D., 1944. The estimation of map distance from recombination value. Ann Eugen 12: 172–175.
- Law, C.N., 1966. The location of genetic factors affecting a quantitative character in wheat. Genetics 53: 487–498.
- MacKay, J., 1963. Species relationships in Triticum. In: J. MacKay (Ed), Proc. 2nd International Wheat Genetics Symposium (Hereditas Supplementary Volume 2), pp. 237–276, Berlingska Boktryckeriet, Lund, Sweden.
- Matsumura, S., 1950. Linkage study in wheat. II. P-linkage group and the manifold effects of the P-gene. Jpn J Genet 25: 111–118 (in Japanese).
- McIntosh, R.A., G.E. Hart & M.D. Gale, 1994. Catalogue of gene symbols for wheat. 1994 supplement. Wheat Inform Serv 79: 47–56.
- Miller, T.E., 1987. Systematics and evolution. In: F.G.H. Lupton (Ed), Wheat Breeding, Its Scientific Basis, pp. 1–30, Chapman and Hall, London, U.K.
- Watanabe, N., 1994. Near-isogenic lines of durum wheat: their development and plant characteristics. Euphytica 72: 143–147. CrossRef
- Watanabe, N., Y. Yotani & Y. Furuta, 1996. The inheritance and chromosomal location of a gene for long glume in durum wheat. Euphytica 91: 235–239.
- Genetic control of the long glume phenotype in tetraploid wheat by homoeologous chromosomes
Volume 106, Issue 1 , pp 39-43
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- chromosome substitution
- long glume
- near-isogenic line
- purple culm
- Triticum ispahanicum
- Triticum polonicum
- Industry Sectors
- N. Watanabe (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Gifu University, 1-1 Yanagido, Gifu, 501- 1193, Japan