New genes for resistance to Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines in soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merr.] and their inheritance
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Bacterial leaf pustule (BLP) caused by Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines is an important disease of soybean. A new resistant source, P-4-2, showing an immune reaction in controlled conditions to BLP was crossed with the susceptible cultivar Monetta to study the inheritance of resistance. All F1 plants were susceptible. The F2 population segregated 15 susceptible: 1 resistant plants indicating the presence of duplicate recessive genes controlling resistance. This was further confirmed in the F3 generation. Two recessive genes conferring high levels of resistance in soybean to Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines under controlled conditions are being reported here for the first time.
- Chamberlain, D.W., 1962. Reaction of resistant and susceptible soybeans to Xanthomonas phaseoli var. sojensis. Plant Disease Rep 46: 707–709.
- Fartushnyak, G.B., A.T. Fartushnyak & V.G. Mikhailov, 1987. Bacterial disease of soybean in the northern forest steppe of the Ukraine and source of resistance to them. Vaskhnil 29: 20–24.
- Fett, W.F., 1984. Accumulation of isoflavonoids glycosides after inoculation of soybean leaves and a study of their role in resistance. Physiol Plant Pathol 24: 303–320. CrossRef
- Groth, D.E. & E.J. Braun, 1986. Growth kinetics and histopathology of Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines in leaves of resistant and susceptible soybeans. Phytopathology 76: 959–966. CrossRef
- Hartwig E.E. & H.W. Johnson, 1953. Effect of the bacterial pustule on yield and chemical composition of soybeans. Agron J 45: 22–3. CrossRef
- Hartwig, E.E. & S.G. Lehman, 1951. Inheritance of resistance to bacterial pustule disease in soybeans. Agronomy J 43: 226–229. CrossRef
- Hernandez, L.E., A.0. Walon & T.A. Marrero, 1984. Behaviour of soybean (G. max) varieties with respect to Xanthomonas phaseoli var. sojensis in spring. Reporte tigacion del Instuto de Investigaciones Fundamentales en Agricultra Tropical 23, 6pp.
- Herrera, I.L. & A.M. Soria, 1983. Varietal resistance in soybean to Xanthomonas phaseoli var. sojensis (Hedges) Star. & Burk. and ecological studies of the soybean. Centro Agricola 10: 85–97.
- Hwang, I. & S.M. Lim, 1987. Pathogenic variation in soybeans of Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines. Phytopathology 77: 1709.
- Jainkittivong, A. & N. Matsuyama, 1989. Varietal resistance of soybean cultivars to Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines strains located from Japan & Thailand. J of the faculty of Agri, Kyush. Univ. 34: 1–2.
- Karmakar, P.G. & P.S. Bhatnagar, 1996. Genetic improvement of soybean varieties released in India from 1969 to 1993. Euphytica 90: 95–103.
- Parthuangwong, S. & K. Amnuaykit, 1987. Studies on tolerance and rate reducing bacterial pustule of soybean cultivars/lines. Kesetsart J of Nat Sci 21: 408–426.
- Reddy, K.S., S.E. Pawar & C.R. Bhatia, 1987. Screening for powery mildew (Erysiphe polygoni DC) resistance in mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.)Wilczek) using excised leaves. Proc Indian Acad Sci (Plant Sci) 97: 365–369.
- Sharma, A., P.M. Nair & S.E. Pawar, 1993. Identification of soybean strains resistant to Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines. Euphytica 67: 95–99. CrossRef
- Shukla, G.P., B.P. Pandya & D.P. Singh, 1978. Inheritance of resistance to yellow mosaic in mungbean. Ind J Gen & Plant Breed 38: 357–360.
- Singh, D.P., 1980. Inheritance of resistance to yellow mosaic virus in blackgram (Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper). Theor Appl Genet 57: 233–235. CrossRef
- Singh, B.B. & A.S. Malick, 1978. Inheritance of yellow mosaic in soybean. Ind J Gen & Plant Breed 38: 258–261.
- Verma, V.D., 1990. Evaluation of soybean (Glycine max) germplasm for bacterial pustules caused by Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines. Ind J Agric Sci 60: 832–833.
- Wolf, F.A., 1924. Bacterial pustule of soybean. J Agr Res 29: 57–68.
- New genes for resistance to Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines in soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merr.] and their inheritance
Volume 106, Issue 3 , pp 205-208
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Glycine max
- resistance genes
- soybean Xanthomonas campestris
- Industry Sectors