The nutrient content and the release of nutrients from fish food and faeces
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The fish food and faeces were fractioned into the differentcomponents of phosphorus and nitrogen. There was a rapid release ofphosphorus from the fish food and faeces and a decrease thereafterwhereas ammonium release was slow at first with the rate increasingwith time. Both temperature and pH affected the release of nutrientsfrom fish food and faeces. The release of phosphorus and nitrogen washigher at higher temperatures. The maximum release of phosphorus wasat pH 4.0 whereas nitrogen release was maximum at neutral (7.0) toalkaline (10.0) media.
- Allan, G. L. & S. J. Rowland, 1996. The silver perch industry: research progress and priorities toward developing cost-effective diets. Austasia Aquaculture 10: 37-40.
- AOAC, 1990. Official methods of analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC) (Editor K. Helrich). 15th edn., vol. 1. Virginia, USA.
- Beveridge, M., 1987. Cage Aquaculture. Fishing News Ltd. Farnham, England: 351 pp.
- Bostrom, B., G. Persson & B. Broberg, 1988. Bioavailability of different phosphorus forms in freshwater systems. Hydrobiologia 170: 133-155.
- Boyd, C. E., 1990. Water quality in ponds for aquaculture. Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station. Auburn University and Birmingham Publishing Co. Alabama, USA, 462 pp.
- Butz, I. & B. Vens-Cappell, 1982. Organic load from the metabolic products of rainbow trout fed with dry food. In Albaster, J. S. (ed.), Report of the EIFAC Workshop on Fish Farm Effluents. Silkeborg, Denmark, 26-28 May 1981. EIFAC Tech. Pap. 41: 57-70.
- Chamberlain, W. & J. Shapiro, 1969. On the biological significance of phosphate analysis: Comparison of standard and new methods with a bioassy. Limnol. Oceanogr. 14: 921-927.
- Fivlstad, S., J. M. Thomassen, M. J. Smith, H. Kjartansson & A-B. Anderson, 1990. Metabolic production rates from Atlantic salmon (Salmo salarL.) and Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinusL.) reared in single pass land based brackish water and sea water systems. Aquacult. Engin. 9: 1-21.
- Foy, R. H. & R. Rosell, 1991a. Fractionation of phosphorus and nitrogen loadings from a Northern Ireland Fish Farm. Aquaculture 96: 31-42.
- Foy, R. H. & R. Rosell, 1991b. Loadings of nitrogen and phosphorus, suspended solids and BOD from a Northern Ireland fish farm. Aquaculture 96: 17-30.
- Hakanson, L., A. Wrvik, T. Makinene & B. Molleg, 1988. Basic concepts concerning assessments of environmental effects of marine fish farms. Nordic Council of Ministers, Copenhagen, 103 pp.
- Hoelzi, A. & B. Vens-Cappell, 1980. Profitability of food-fish production in net cages. Fisch. Teichwirt. 32: 2-5.
- Johnsen, F., M. Hillestad & E. Austreng, 1993. High energy diets for Atlantic salmon. Effect on pollution. In Kaushik, S. J. & P. Luquet (eds), Fish Nutrition in Practice. INRA, Paris: 391-401.
- Kibria, G., D. Nugegoda, R. Fairclough & P. Lam, 1996. Australian native species in aquaculture. Victorian Nat. 113: 264-267.
- Kristiansen, G. & D. O. Hessen, 1992. Nitrogen and phosphorus excretion from the noble crayfish, Astacus astacus L., in relation to food type and temperature. Aquaculture 102: 245-264.
- Laird, L. M. & T. Needham, 1988. Salmon and Trout Farming. Ellis Horwood Limited, England, 271 pp.
- Makinen, T., S. Lindgren & P. Esklinen, 1988. Sieving as an effluent treatment for aquaculture. Aquacult. Engin. 7: 367-377.
- Penczak, T., W. Galicka, M. Molinski, E. Kusto & M. Zalewski, 1982. The enrichment of a mesotrophic lake by carbon, phosphorus and nitrogen from the cage aquaculture of rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri. J. Appl. Ecol. 19: 371-393.
- Persson, G., 1988. Relationships between feed, productivity and pollution in the farming of large rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri). Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, Stockholm, PM 3534, 48 pp.
- Pettersson, K., 1988. The mobility of phosphorus in fish-foods and fecals. Verh. int. ver. Limnol. 23: 200-206.
- Phillips, M., R. Clarke & A. Mowat, 1993. Phosphorus leaching from Atlantic salmon diets. Aquacult. Engin. 12: 47-54.
- State of Victoria, 1995. Nutrient management strategy for Victorian Inland Waters. State of Victoria, Australia, 73 pp.
- Tecator, 1990. Instruction manual. The Aquatec System. Hoganas: Sweden, 49 pp.
- Welch, E. B. & T. Lindell, 1980. Ecological effects of wastewater. - Applied limnology and pollutant effects. Chapter 4. Nutrient cycles: 54-81.
- Zar, J. H., 1984. Biostatistical analysis. Prentice-Hill, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 620 pp.
- The nutrient content and the release of nutrients from fish food and faeces
Volume 357, Issue 1-3 , pp 165-171
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- fish food
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Environmental Management, Victoria University of Technology, P.O. Box 14428, MCMC, Melbourne, 8001, Australia
- 2. Department of Food Technology, Victoria University of Technology, Australia
- 3. Chemistry and Biology Department, City University of Hong Kong, Kowloon, Hong Kong