A gene complex for annual habit in sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Annual habit in sugar beet has been shown to be controlled by a dominant gene, B, which induces bolting under long days without the cold requirement usually essential for biennial cultivars. The induction of bolting by B, however, is often influenced by both environmental and genetic factors. We studied the genetic basis for bolting suppression, caused by delayed planting, in lines derived from a cross between annual and biennial lines. The F2 progeny of a late-bolting F1 plant yielded an unexpected segregation ratio of annuality from monogenic inheritance when planted in late May, there being an excess of non-bolting biennials, although the expected segregation was observed in the late April sowing. Bolting suppression was caused by restricted daylengths due to delayed planting because the segregation was normal under artificially induced long days. The analysis with Idh1, an isozyme marker proximal to B, demonstrated that heterozygous B plants were more susceptible to bolting suppression due to delayed planting than homozygous B plants. The results suggest that bolting suppression was controlled by a number of genes responsible for long daylength requirement, one of which was closely linked to B and formed a gene complex for annuality. The annual habit was controlled singly by B under long days but modified by the genes for long daylength requirement under restricted daylengths.
- Abe, J., G.P. Guan & Y. Shimamoto, 1993. Linkage maps for nine isozyme and four marker loci in sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.). Euphytica 66: 117–126. CrossRef
- Abegg, F.A., 1936. A genetic factor for the annual habit in beets and linkage relationship. J Agric Res 53: 493–511.
- Aicher, L.D. & J.W. Saunders, 1990. Inheritance studies and clonal fingerprinting with isoenzymes in sugar beet. Crop Sci 30: 1064–1072. CrossRef
- Boudry, P., R. Wieber, P. Saumitou-Laprade, K. Pillen, H. Van Dijk & C. Jung, 1994. Identification of RFLP markers closely linked to the bolting gene B and their significance for the study of the annual habit in beets (Beta vulgaris L.). Theor Appl Genet 88: 852–858. CrossRef
- Guan, G.P., J. Abe & Y. Shimamoto, 1993. Genetic analysis of annual habit in Beta vulgaris ssp. maritima and ssp. adanensis. Proc Jpn Soc Sugar Beet Technol 35: 82–87.
- Guan, G.P., J. Abe & Y. Shimamoto, 1994. Genetic analysis of bolting in sugar beets using a gene for annuality (B). Proc 7th Int Congr of Soc Adv Breed Res in Asia and Oceania, 247–252.
- Le Cochec, F. & P. Soreau, 1989. Mode d'action des gènes et hétérosis pour le caractère montée à graines dans le crousement de deux lignées fixées de betterave à sucre (Beta vulgaris L.). Agronomie 9: 585–590.
- Lexander, K., 1980. Present knowledge of sugar beet bolting mechanisms. 43rd Winter Congr Inst Int Rech Betterav, Bruxelles, 245–258.
- Munerati, O., 1931. L'eredità della tendenza alla annualità nella comune barbabietola coltivata. Ztschr Züchtung, Reihe A, Pflanzenzüchtung 17: 84–89.
- Owen, F.V., 1942. Inheritance of cross-and self-sterility and self-fertility in Beta vulgaris. J Agric Res 64: 679–698.
- Owen, F.V., 1954. The significance of single gene reactions in sugar beets. Proc Amer Soc Sugar Beet Technol 8: 392–398.
- Owen, F.V. & J.S. McFarlane, 1958. Successive annual backcrosses to a nonbolting inbred line of sugar beets. J Amer Soc Sugar Beet Technol 10: 124–132.
- Owen, F.V., E. Carsner & M. Stout, 1940. Photothermal induction of flowering in sugar beets. J Agric Res 61: 101–124.
- Sadeghian, Y.W., 1993. Bolting in sugar beet, genetics and physiological aspects. The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Plant Breeding Research, Svalov.
- Sadeghian, Y.S. & E. Johansson, 1993. Genetic study of bolting and stem length in sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.) using a factorial cross design. Euphytica 65: 177–185. CrossRef
- Sadeghian, Y.S., H.C. Becker & E. Johansson, 1993. Inheritance of bolting in three sugar beet crosses after different periods of vernalization. Plant Breed 110: 328–333. CrossRef
- Savitsky, V.F., 1952. Genetic study of monogerm and multigerm characters in beets. Proc Amer Soc Sugar Beet Technol 7: 331–338.
- Shimamoto, Y., T. Tanada & J. Abe, 1990. Analysis for bolting of sugar beet by means of the test crosses of biennial lines with annual line. Proc Jpn Soc Sugar Beet Technol 32: 134–137.
- Smit, A.L., 1983. Influence of external factors on growth and development of sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.). Centre for Agricultural Publishing and Documentation, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- A gene complex for annual habit in sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.)
Volume 94, Issue 2 , pp 129-135
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Beta vulgaris
- gene complex
- long days requirement
- sugar beet
- Industry Sectors