Defining Premature Ejaculation for Experimental and Clinical Investigations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Researchers investigating premature ejaculation (PE) have employed widely diverse definitions of it, thereby limiting progress in the field. This study summarizes available research on PE, notes patterns that emerge from these studies, compares patterns across several types of studies, and suggests a common model for defining PE groups to guide future research. We surveyed two bibliographic databases, identifying 45 studies employing a definition or description of a PE group. From these, we extracted a range of information, including descriptions of the participants, recruitment procedures, if PE subtypes were identified, operational criteria for PE classification, relationship and partner information, and additional inclusion/exclusion criteria. Over 50% of studies reported no criteria, or relied on simple self-identification by participants to establish the PE group. Quantifiable behavioral criteria were used in 49% of the studies, with ejaculatory latency reported most frequently. This measure was also used as a criterion more frequently in studies focusing on assessment of sexual response, whereas the number of penile thrusts was used more frequently in studies prior to 1989. Partner information was often included but seldom used as part of the assessment procedure. Progress on research and treatment of PE will continue to be limited by the absence of commonly accepted criteria for PE group membership and by a lack of identification of relevant PE subtypes and etiologies. This paper suggests a flowchart, based on data and a rational analysis of 40 years of research, for characterizing PE in ways that could assist the development of the field.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Ed., American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC.
- Basson, R., Berman, J., Burnett, A., Derogatis, L., Ferguson, D., Fourcroy, J., Goldstein, I., Graziottin, A., Heiman, J., Laan, E., Leiblum, S., Padma-Nathan, H., Rosen, R., Segraves, R. T., Shabsigh, R., Sipski, M., Wagner, G., and Whipple, B. (2000). Female Urology-Report of international consensus development conference on female sexual dysfunction: Definitions and classifications. J. Urol. 163: 888.
- Cohen, P. G. (1997). The association of premature ejaculation and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. J. Sex Marit. Ther. 23: 208-211.
- Grenier, G., and Byers, S. (1995). Rapid ejaculation: A review of conceptual, etiological, and treatment issues. Arch. Sex. Behav. 24: 447-472.
- Haensel, S. M., Rowland, D. L., Kallan, K., and Slob, A. K. (1996). Clomipramine and sexual function in men with premature ejaculation and controls. J. Urol. 56: 1310-1315.
- Kaplan, H. S. (1974). The New Sex Therapy, Brunner/Mazel, New York.
- Kim, Y. C., Choi, H. K., and Lho, Y. S. (1992). Penile hemodynamics in premature ejaculation. Int. J. Impot. Res. 4: 31-36.
- Kuhr, C. S., Heiman, J., Cardenas, D., Bradley, W., and Berger, R. E. (1995). Premature emission after spinal cord injury. J. Urol. 153: 429-431.
- Laumann, E., Gagnon, J., Michael, R., and Michaels, S. (1994). The Social Organization of Sexuality: Sexual Practices in the United States, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Levine, S. (1992). Helping men to control ejaculation. In Sexual Life: A Clinician's Guide, Plenum, New York, pp. 90-106.
- Masters, W., and Johnson, V. (1970). Human Sexual Inadequacy, Little Brown, Boston.
- Nathan, P. E., and Langenbucher, J. W. (1999). Psychopathology: Description and classification. Ann. Rev. Psychol. 50: 79-107.
- NIH Consensus Development Panel on Impotence. (1993). JAMA 270: 83-90.
- Rowland, D. L., Cooper, S. E., and Slob, A. K. (1996). Genital and psychoaffective response to erotic stimulation in sexually functional and dysfunctional men. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 105: 194-203.
- Rowland, D. L., Cooper, S. E., Slob, A. K., and Houtsmuller, E. J. (1997). The study of ejaculatory response in men in the psychophysiological laboratory. J. Sex Res. 34: 161-166.
- Rowland, D. L., Haensel, S. M., Blom, J., and Slob, A. K. (1993). Penile sensitivity in men with premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction. J. Sex Marit. Ther. 19: 189-197.
- Rowland, D. L., Kallan, K., and Slob, A. K. (1997). Yohimbine, erectile capacity, and sexual response in men. Arch. Sex. Behav. 26: 49-62.
- Rowland, D. L., Strassberg, D. S., de Gouveia Brazao, C. A., and Slob, A. K. (2000). Ejaculatory latency and control in men with premature ejaculation: An analysis across sexual activities using multiple sources of information. J. Psychosom. Res. 48: 69-77.
- Segraves, R. T., Saran, A., Segraves, K., and Maguire, E. (1993). Clomipramine versus placebo in the treatment of premature ejaculation: A pilot study. J. Sex Marit. Ther. 19: 198-200.
- Shilon, M., and Paz, G. F. (1984). The use of phenoxybenzamine treatment in premature ejaculation. Fertil. Steril. 42: 659-661.
- Spector, I. P., and Carey, M. P. (1990). Incidence and prevalence of the sexual dysfunctions: A critical review of the empirical literature. Arch. Sex. Behav. 19: 389-403.
- Spiess, W. F., Greer, J. H., and O'Donohue, W. T. (1984). Premature ejaculation: Investigation of factors in ejaculatory latency. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 93: 242-245.
- Strassberg, D. S., de Gouveia Brazao, C., Rowland, D. L., Tan, P., and Slob, A. K. (1999). Clomipramine in the treatment of rapid (premature) ejaculation. J. Sex Marit. Ther. 25: 89-101.
- Strassberg, D. S., Kelly, M. P., Carroll, C., and Kircher, J. C. (1987). The psychophysiological nature of premature ejaculation. Arch. Sex. Behav. 16: 327-336.
- Thexton, R. (1992). Ejaculatory disturbances. In Lincoln, R. (ed.), Psychosocial Medicine: A Study of Underlying Themes, Chapman & Hall, Boston, pp. 36-48.
- Wincze, J. P., and Carey, M. P. (1991). Sexual Dysfunction: A Guide for Assessment and Treatment, The Guilford Press, New York.
- Defining Premature Ejaculation for Experimental and Clinical Investigations
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 30, Issue 3 , pp 235-253
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- premature ejaculation
- sexual dysfunction
- ejaculatory latency and control
- Industry Sectors