Textual Variation and Version Control in the TEI
- David Smith
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Projects that attempt to encode variorum texts with the Text Encoding Initiative's Guidelines for Electronic Text Encoding and Interchange will likely encounter situations where the text varies in its structure, as well as in its content. Although encoding textual variants at a separate level using a version control system may be attractive, the advantages in encoding text and variants in the same format are considerable. This paper proposes solutions to three problems that require more than the standard TEI textual critical elements: transposition, variation of meta-data, and insertion of incomplete structures.
- Barnard, D. T., L. Burnard, J.-P. Gaspart, L. A. Price, C. Sperberg-McQueen and G. B. Varile. “Hierarchical Encoding of Text: Technical Problems and SGML Solutions”. Computers and the Humanities, 29 (1995a), 211–231.
- Barnard, D. T., G. Clarke and N. Duncan. Tree-to-tree Correction for Document Trees. Technical Report 95–372, Department of Computing and Information Science, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, 1995b.
- Cederqvist, P. Version Management with CVS. Signum Support AB, CVS version 1.10 edition. http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs/doc/cvs_toc.html, 1998.
- Chawathe, S. and H. Garcia-Molina. “Meaningful Change Detection in Structured Data”. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data. Arizona: Tucson, 1997, pp. 26–37.
- Chawathe, S. S., S. Abiteboul, and J. Widom. “Representing and Querying Changes in Semistructured Data”. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Data Engineering. Los Alamitos, 1998, pp. 1–23.
- Cover, R. C. and P. M. Robinson. “Encoding Textual Criticism”. Computers and the Humanities, 29, (1995), 123–136.
- Neuwirth, C. M., R. Chandhok, D. S. Kaufer, P. Erion, J. Morris and D. Miller. “Flexible Diff-ing in a Collaborative Writing System”. In Proceedings of the Fourth Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work. Toronto, Canada, 1992, pp. 147–154.
- Renear, A., E. Mylonas and D. Durand. Research in Humanities Computing 4. Chapt. Refining Our Notion of What Text Really Is: The Problem of Overlapping Hierarchies. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1994, pp. 263–280.
- Robinson, P. The Transcription of Primary Textual Sources Using SGML. No. 6 in Office for Humanities Communication Publications. Oxford: Office for Humanities Communication, 1994.
- Sperberg-McQueen, C. and L. Burnard. Guidelines for Electronic Text Encoding and Interchange. Chicago and Oxford: The Text Encoding Initiative, 1994.
- Tichy, W. F. RCS — A System for Version Control. Technical report, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, 1995.
- Textual Variation and Version Control in the TEI
Computers and the Humanities
Volume 33, Issue 1-2 , pp 103-112
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- textual criticism versus control
- Industry Sectors
- David Smith (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Perseus Project, Tufts University, Eaton Hall 124, Medford, MA, 02155, USA (e-mail