Reconstruction of the cophylogenetic history of related phylogenetic trees with divergence timing information
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we present a method and a corresponding tool called Tarzan for cophylogeny analysis of phylogenetic trees where the nodes are labelled with divergence timing information. The tool can be used for example to infer the common history of hosts and their parasites, of insect-plant relations or symbiotic relationships. Our method does the reconciliation analysis using an event-based concept where each event is assigned a cost and cost minimal solutions are sought. The events that are used by Tarzan are cospeciations, sortings, duplications, and (host) switches. Different from existing tools, Tarzan can handle more complex timing information of the phylogenetic trees for the analysis. This is important because several recent studies of cophylogenetic relationship have shown that timing information can be very important for the correct interpretation of results from cophylogenetic analysis. We present two examples (one host-parasite system and one insect-plant system) that show how divergence timing information can be integrated into reconciliation analysis and how this influences the results.
- Becerra, J.X., Venable, E., 1999. Macroevolution of insect-plant associations: the relevance of host biogeography to host affiliation. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 96, 12626–12631. CrossRef
- Bininda-Edmonds, O.R.P., (Ed.), 2004. Phylogenetic Supertrees: Combining Information to Reveal the Tree of Life. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- Charleston, M.A., 1998. Jungles: a new solution to the host/parasite phylogeny reconcilation problem. Math. Biosci. 149, 191–223. CrossRef
- Charleston, M.A., Page, R.D.M., 2002. TreeMap 2.0β A Macintosh program for the analysis of how dependent phylogenies are related, by cophylogeny mapping. Webpage: http://taxonomy.zoology.-gla.ac.uk/Latest version is 2.0.2β.
- Garey, M.R., Johnson, D.S., 1979. Computers and Intractability—A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. Freeman, New York.
- Holmes, E.C., 2003. Molecular clocks and the puzzle of RNA virus origins. J. Virol. 77 (7), 3893–3897. CrossRef
- Jeong, S.-C., Ritchie, N.J., Myrold, D.D., 1999. Molecular phylogenies of plants and Frankia support multiple origins of actinorhizal symbioses. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 13, 493–503. CrossRef
- Legat, R., 2001. Datenstrukturen zur Analyse der Phylogenie von Parasit-Wirt-Beziehungen (data structures for the analysis of the phylogeny of parasite-host relations). Diploma Thesis, Institute of Computer Science, University of Hannover, Germany.
- Page, R.D.M. (Ed.), 2002. Tangled Trees: Phylogeny, Cospeciation and Coevolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Percy, D.M., 2001. Diversification of legume-feeding psyllids (Psylloidea, Hemiptera) and their host plants (Genisteae, Leguminosae). Ph.D. Thesis, Division of Environmental and Evolutionary Biology, University of Glasgow, UK.
- Percy, D.M., Page, R.D.M., Cronk, Q.C.B., 2004. Plant-insect interactions: double-dating associated insect and plant lineages reveals asynchronous radiations. Syst. Biol. 53 (1), 120–127. CrossRef
- Ronquist, F., 2002. Parsimony analysis of coevolving species associations. In: Page, R.D.M., (Ed.), Tangled Trees: Phylogeny, Cospeciation and Coevolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, pp. 22–64.
- Ronquist, F., 2001. TreeFitter Version 1.0 Manual. Webpage: http//www.ebc.uu.se/systzoo/research/treefitter/treefitter.html.
- Sanderson, M.J., 2003. r8s: inferring absolute rates of molecular evolution, divergence times in the absence of a molecular clock. Bioinformatics 19 (2), 301–302. CrossRef
- Semple, C., Steel, M., 2003. Phylogenetics. Mathematics and its Applications series, vol. 22. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Sorenson, M.D., Balakrishnan, C.N., Payne, R.B., 2004. Clade-limited colonization in brood parasitic finches (Vidua spp.). Syst. Biol. 53, 140–153. CrossRef
- Reconstruction of the cophylogenetic history of related phylogenetic trees with divergence timing information
Theory in Biosciences
Volume 123, Issue 4 , pp 277-299
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Reconciliation analysis