Co-occurrence of boundary and resonance ejection in a multiplexed rectilinear ion trap mass spectrometer
A method is reported for evaluating ion trap mass analyzers by selection of operating conditions under which both boundary and resonance ejection peaks occur in a single mass scan. The choice of frequency and amplitude of the auxiliary waveform applied for resonance ejection can be such as to produce a resonance ejection mass spectrum with unit resolution or, under selected conditions, signals attributable to both boundary and resonance ejection in a single mass scan. The contrasting mass resolution associated with these two ejection processes is evident in these data. The co-occurrence of the two ejection phenomena is ascribed to the effects of higher-order fields; it is more marked in some rectilinear ion traps (RITs) than in other nominally identical devices, leading to the possibility of using it to compare individual mass analyzers in multiplexed instruments. The method is used to compare multiple ion traps driven by the same RF signal in a fully-multiplexed mass spectrometer, composed of parallel ion source/mass analyzer/detector channels each housed in one quadrant of a specialized vacuum chamber.
- Syka, J. E. P. Commercialization of the Quadrupole Ion Trap. In Practical Aspects of Ion Trap Mass Spectrometry, Vol. I March, R. E., Todd, J. F. J., Eds. CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 1995, pp 169–205.
- Gillz, L. A.; Amy, J. W.; Vaughn, W. E.; Cooks, R. G. In Situ Optimization of the Electrode Geometry of the Quadrupole Ion Trap. Int. J. Mass Spectrom 1999, 188(1/2), 87–93. CrossRef
- Li, H. Y.; Plass, W. R.; Patterson, G. E.; Cooks, R. G. Chemical Mass Shifts in Resonance Ejection Experiments in the Quadrupole Ion Trap. J. Mass Spectrom 2002, 37(10), 1051–1058. CrossRef
- Plass, W. R.; Li, H.; Cooks, R. G. Theory, Simulation, and Measurement of Chemical Mass Shifts in RF Quadrupole Ion Traps. Int. J. Mass Spectrom 2003, 228(2/3), 237–267. CrossRef
- Franzen, J.; Gabling, R. H.; Schubert, M.; Wang, Y. Nonlinear Ion Traps. In Practical Aspects of Ion Trap Mass Spectrometry Vol. I; March, R. E., Todd, J. F. J., Eds. CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 1995; pp 49–167.
- Wells, J. M.; Badman, E. R.; Cooks, R. G. A Quadrupole Ion Trap of Cylindrical Geometry Operated in the Mass Selective Instability Mode. Anal. Chem 1998, 70(3), 438–444. CrossRef
- Tabert, A. M.; Griep-Raming, J.; Guymon, A. J.; Cooks, R. G. High-Throughput Miniature Cylindrical Ion Trap Array Mass Spectrometer. Anal. Chem. 2003, 75(21), 5656–5664. CrossRef
- Laughlin, B. C.; Mulligan, C. C.; Cooks, R. G. Atmospheric Pressure Ionization in a Miniature Mass Spectrometer. Anal. Chem. 2005, 77(9), 2928–2939. CrossRef
- Danell, R. M.; Ray, K. L.; Glish, G. L. Development of an Electrically Tunable, Compensated, Open Cylindrical Ion Trap Mass Spectrometer. Abstracts Am. Chem. Soc. 2001, 221, 49,-ANYL.
- Moxom, J.; Reilly, P. T. A.; Whitten, W. B.; Ramsey, J. M. Double Resonance Ejection in a Micro Ion Trap Mass Spectrometer. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 2002, 16(8), 755–760. CrossRef
- Badman, E. R.; Johnson, R. C.; Plass, W. R.; Cooks, R. G. A Miniature Cylindrical Quadrupole Ion Trap: Simulation and Experiment. Anal. Chem. 1998, 70, 4896–4901. CrossRef
- Wu, G. X.; Cooks, R. G.; Ouyang, Z. Geometry Optimization for the Cylindrical Ion Trap: Field Calculations, Simulations, and Experiments. Int. J. Mass Spectrom. 2005, 241(2/3), 119–132. CrossRef
- Ouyang, Z.; Wu, G. X.; Song, Y. S.; Li, H. Y.; Plass, W. R.; Cooks, R. G. Rectilinear Ion Trap: Concepts, Calculations, and Analytical Performance of a New Mass Analyzer. Anal. Chem. 2004, 76(16), 4595–4605. CrossRef
- Erickson,B. E. Miniaturized Rectilinear Ion Trap. Anal. Chem. 2004, 76(17), 305A.
- Tabert, A. M. Ph.D Thesis, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 2005.
- Cooks, R. G.; Rockwood, A. L. The Thomson—A Suggested Unit for Mass Spectroscopists. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 1991, 5(2), 93.
- March, R. E.; Todd, J. F. J. Practical Aspects of Ion Trap Mass Spectrometry Vol. I: Fundamentals of Ion Trap Mass Spectrometry. CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 1995; pp 279–283.
- Co-occurrence of boundary and resonance ejection in a multiplexed rectilinear ion trap mass spectrometer
Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 56-59
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors