Automated mass spectrometry imaging with a matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization time-of-flight instrument
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The automated use of a matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization (MALDI) mass spectrometer (MS) is described for image analysis of samples through implementation of new software for instrument control, data acquisition, and data analysis. The software permits automated acquisition of MS MALDI spectra to form an ordered data array and contains display features to provide images at one or more mass-to-charge ratio values. The technique can be used to scan tissue samples, blotted samples, gels, or other sample surfaces where the image analysis of that sample is required. The program achieves a time of typically 1 s per image point, permitting an analysis made up of large numbers of points with high spatial resolution up to 850 dpi. The features of the software are demonstrated in this paper with samples of printed images, where visible images can be compared to those obtained by mass spectrometry. Quantitative aspects are introduced by analyzing a series of sample spots containing different amounts of several proteins.
- Briggs, D.; Seah, M. P. Practical Surface Analysis; Wiley: New York, 1996, Vol. 2 367–424.
- VanHoolst, W. K.; VanEspen, P. J. Image Processing in Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry. Mikrochim. Acta 1991, 2, 415–425. CrossRef
- Mony, M. C.; Larras-Regard, E. Imaging of subcellular structures by scanning ion microscopy and mass spectrometry. Biol. Cell. 1997, 89, 199–210. CrossRef
- Colliver, T. L.; Brummel, C. L.; Pacholski, M. L.; Swanek, F. D.; Ewing, A. G.; Winograd, N. Atomic and molecular imaging at the single-cell level with TOF-SIMS. Anal. Chem. 1997, 69, 2225–2231. CrossRef
- McMahon, J. M.; Short, R. T.; McCandlish, C. A.; Brenna, J. T.; Todd, P. J. Identification and mapping of phosphocholine in animal tissue by static secondary ion mass spectrometry and tandem mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 1996, 10, 335–340. CrossRef
- Van Vaeck, L.; Struyf, H.; Van Roy, W.; Adams, F. Organic and Inorganic Analysis with Laser Microprobe Mass Spectrometry Part 1: Instrumentation and Methodology. Mass Spec. Rev. 1994, 13, 189–208. CrossRef
- Van Vaeck, L.; Struyf, H.; Van Roy, W.; Adams, F. Organic and Inorganic Analysis with Laser Microprobe Mass Spectrometry Part 2: Applications. Mass Spec. Rev. 1994, 13, 209–232. CrossRef
- Van Vaeck, L.; Poels, K.; De Nollin, S.; Hachimi, A.; Gijbels, R. Laser microprobe mass spectrometry: principle and applications in biology and medicine. Cell Biol. Int. 1997, 21, 635–648. CrossRef
- Iancu, T. C.; Perl, D. P.; Sternlieb, I.; Lerner, A.; Leshinsky, E.; Kolodny, E. H.; Hsu, A.; Good, P. F. The application of laser microprobe mass analysis to the study of biological material. Biometals 1996, 9, 57–65. CrossRef
- Pestaner, J. P.; Mullick, F. G.; Centeno, J. A. Characterization of acetaminophen: molecular microanalysis with Raman microprobe spectroscopy. J. Forensic Sci. 1996, 41, 1060–1063.
- Huber, M.; Spengler, B.; Kaufmann, R. Development of a new Scanning UV-Laser Microprobe for Ion Imaging and Confocal Microscopy. Proceedings of the 42nd ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics; Chicago, Illinois, 1994; p 1044.
- Caprioli, R. M.; Farmer, T. B.; Gile, J. Molecular Imaging of Biological Samples: Localization of Peptides and Proteins Using MALDI-TOF MS. Anal. Chem. 1997, 69, 4751–4760. CrossRef
- Haiying, Z. Development of Combined Micro-Preparation, Separation and Mass Spectrometry Methods and Applications in the Microdialysis Study of Neuropeptides. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, 1998.
- Schreiner, M.; Strupat, K.; Lottspeich, F.; Eckerskorn, C. Ultraviolet matrix assisted laser desorption ionization-mass spectrometry of electroblotted proteins. Electrophoresis 1996, 17, 954–961. CrossRef
- Stahl, B.; Linos, A.; Karas, M.; Hillenkamp, F. Setup M Analysis of fructans from higher plants by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. Anal. Biochem. 1997, 246, 195–204. CrossRef
- Automated mass spectrometry imaging with a matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization time-of-flight instrument
Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 67-71
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors